myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to rig Sailworks Retro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markofjohnson

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

I have used 99 and 2000 Retros 4.5, 5.0 6.0. I have the rigging instructions. When I put on the downhaul, my sails dont look quite like the photos in the rigging instructions, I get loose sail creases in nore panels than at the top - so Im not sure what the right downhaul setting is. I keep hearing how sensitive the sail is to rigging. Anyone got any other rigging tips for these sails? Seems like going out an buying a brand new 5.5 just so I can figure how to rig the others would be an expensive route.

Thanks
Markj
jcharde

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 5:15 pm    Post subject: RE: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

Hey Mark:
I have a new 6.0 Retro (2000 leftover) and a 98 7.0. Both sails have some diagonal wrinkling in lower panels that no amount of batten tensioning will eliminate. I have concluded that this is due to the very sophisticated attempts to shape seams in these sails. Maybe the sewing machine operators in the PRC arent up to snuff. Anyhow, I am sure youve seen that the sails rig and sail just fine this way. My mistake was grossly overtensioning the battens to smooth out these wrinkles. Does more harm than good. I love my Sailworks sails, especially the retros
markofjohnson

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: RE: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

Glance down when powered up - are the wrinkles gone? (Im not yet a good enough a sailor to have a moment to spare when powered up Wink
jcharde

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: RE: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

You know, I checked often when this was bothering me, and the wrinkled in my Retros remain, even when quite powered. Thats part of the reason I stopped worrying.
dbturner

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 7:57 pm    Post subject: RE: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

I just bought a Retro last weekend and am waiting for delivery. Ive found that there are great rigging instructions on there website: www.sailworks.com
eugenemary5

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 10:24 am    Post subject: RE: How to rig Sailworks Retro Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

I have 5.0/6.0 Retro...As silly as might it sound, but what i figgured that it all depend on the mast type and of course, its length... Retro sails are tend to be sensitive and require a lot of first-tuning to do.

Mari.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: