myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a camera for windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielkreger082

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for a camera for windsurfing Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a 360 camera for my windsurfing and still looking for a good and suitable product.
Finance around $ 800 and maybe a little more. Anyone know can suggest me? Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a camera for windsurfing Reply with quote

GoPro Max. I am a fan.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHZ-201-MAX/dp/B07BPVPV14?tag=p00935-20&ascsubtag=07hbS4MBM1hkLrBK8w3sYL1

-Craig

danielkreger082 wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a 360 camera for my windsurfing and still looking for a good and suitable product.
Finance around $ 800 and maybe a little more. Anyone know can suggest me? Thanks!
ozzimark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a camera for windsurfing Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
GoPro Max. I am a fan.

Is the built in 5m depth rating ok for windsurfing, or do you use an extra waterproof case? Seems like impacts with the water at speed could be an issue...

How's the battery life in real world use? Seems like the claimed life is around 1.5 hours of 360 video recording, which isn't bad at all if true.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a camera for windsurfing Reply with quote

The depth rating is probably safe, but I entrust my GoPro with an
additional external case(if nothing else the lens is more protected) which
is inexpensive compared to a new camera. On my GoPro I'd guess the
battery life at slightly more than an hour shooting HD (1920X1080) and
60fps.

-Craig

p.s. just for your information ossimark, I'm guessing danielkreger082
is a spammer by the name, number of posts, and badly sequenced English,
but thought I'd reply just in case they have a real interest.

ozzimark wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
GoPro Max. I am a fan.

Is the built in 5m depth rating ok for windsurfing, or do you use an extra waterproof case? Seems like impacts with the water at speed could be an issue...

How's the battery life in real world use? Seems like the claimed life is around 1.5 hours of 360 video recording, which isn't bad at all if true.
ozzimark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, as I am looking to replace my Hero3 with something that also does speed. The 360 view seems neat and useful for the application!

Shame about the huge influx of spammers overall though, makes it hard to sort out the real from the crap. I assume English is not the OP’s native language, but the lack of a totally irrelevant link at the end made me err on the side of caution rather than just ignoring the post!
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
The insta360 looks like a strong competitor - maybe even better software. I haven't tried either myself.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get the chance, I'll have a look. I'm pretty addicted to the GoPro stabilization software, which seems almost magical in it's low reduction of resolution. Plus as everyone Gorge-side knows, I'm famous for violent
crashes that fling the camera off the mast (and donate it to the river).
My current GoPro has a steel tether cable, we'll see if I can hang onto my camera for more than 2 years.

Thanks for the recommend,

-Craig

p.s. I've noticed that my editing software (combination of Cyberlink
and Adobe Editors) or my laptop, has issues with 240 fps. I was
really hoping for some near bullet-time slow motion.
Looks like that's not happening, but if the insta360 software can edit that
kind of speed, I might be in the market just because of the software.

Brian_S wrote:
Craig,
The insta360 looks like a strong competitor - maybe even better software. I haven't tried either myself.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What main purpose?
ozzimark

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
Craig,

It's hard to sift through the marketing descriptions, but it doesn't seem like the Insta360 has a built-in GPS chip; it needs to be paired to a phone or a "gps remote"?

If so, that makes the GoPro the obvious choice IMO...
us85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzimark wrote:
Brian_S wrote:
Craig,

It's hard to sift through the marketing descriptions, but it doesn't seem like the Insta360 has a built-in GPS chip; it needs to be paired to a phone or a "gps remote"?

If so, that makes the GoPro the obvious choice IMO...

It definitely does not have a GPS built in. I even carry my phone with me in a waterproof pouch, so I could pair it with my phone. But, it's way too much of a pain to do on the water. The Insta360 can be configured to just turn on and start recording with one button press, and that is what I use.

And, I don't necessarily need a GPS overlay in the video, but the Insta360 software/editor can't even show you the time of day of the current footage. For example, if I can see on my GPS tracks that I finally made a foiling jibe at 5:18pm, I can't easily just go to that point in the footage. And, in the editor, there's no way to fast forward through the footage. Sure, you can drag the mouse to skip around or create an export that is sped up, but you cannot review the footage at 2x,4x,8x, etc. For some sessions, my turns or crashes are the only interesting part and finding them in the footage is just exhausting. For a 90 minute session, you end up having to watch the whole 90 minutes of footage in real time to find the good parts.

Other than these gripes, I really like the camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: