myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time on a quad - It stunk?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rec foil favors "new school" technique.
Race and slalom foil is halfway between slalom windsurf and rec foil.
The division exists between freestyler/quad riders and freeride/slalom/speed/single fin/tri riders.
Tris can be adjusted either way by tail fin size.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I think that the design favors more front foot oriented sailors, or a more "new" school approach to stance and drive.

That's been my own experience and what I've been told. I'm not interested in giving up my back foot boards; I LUV their instantaneous response to a tiny bit of heel or toe pressure IN the back strap. Left/right/left/right/left/right about as quickly as one can read those words if desired ... no foot relocation necessary.

The quads I've ridden pointed very high, but spun out constantly because I was trying to push on the fins to climb upwind.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, front foot oriented was exactly my experience (except for the
North Pacific, they must be putting some kind of magic in that board).
And like Mike, I'm just not that interested in changing techniques, when
plenty of other boards work naturally under my feet. I also found the
Quads sort of "mushy" when pushed.

Anyway, enough of that, I know several riders who rip on Quads
but Quads are not for me.

-Craig

p.s. for the OP, years ago the Starboard Quad, and Evo were basically
the same planform, so the only difference was how they are driven.

swchandler wrote:
Look at the upside, you didn't have to buy a quad to find out it wasn't quite your style. While I've never ridden a quad, I think that the design favors more front foot oriented sailors, or a more "new" school approach to stance and drive.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Bic sent me a twin Saxo to test in New Mexico years ago, and "mushy" described it well ... just no lateral tracking. It felt like an ordinary board with a single 10 cm fin. Ditto for modern quads I've tested recently. They obviously work, so I have to presume that's due to sailing style.

cgoudie1 wrote:
I also found the Quads sort of "mushy" when pushed.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta drive the board with your front foot. No fin grinding!

These boards are best on a wave, if you can cope with the more physical planing aspect, you'll be rewarded by their higher top end and easier wave handling.

It could help to increase volume (easier slogging, transitions, white water climbing, etc).

Also, fins have little lift as you noticed but this is what is interesting at higher speeds on a wave, make sharper turns, add control when windy, etc.

See my full starboard quad test here: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/

These boards are worst in light to medium winds, current, choppy, messy conditions. They are ok in side-onshore riding so long as it's windy or that somehow conditions are still fairly clean.

Personally, I chose different boards depending on conditions or simply what I want to ride. I turned my quad in a twin but may set it back up as a quad as it's just so much fun when windy and on a wave I feel like a superstar. I do know that I'll trade some upwind and planing abilities.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

1.Gotta drive the board with your front foot.

2. you'll be rewarded by their higher top end.

3. fins have little lift I'll trade some upwind ...

You're a far better sailor than I, but I have to add these observations:
1. I assume this refers to quads, not boards in general. In general, that's an option.

2. Now, wait a gol-dang minute. Smile For decades everbuddy has insisted that more fins = more drag = lower top end.

3. From my experience and the claims of quad shapers I trust, quads point like crazy, at speed, even if the rider lays into the back foot ... unless one lays into that back foot too soon.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry by top end i mean the board can be sailed in greater winds. Top end control.

Quads have grip, so it's easier to recover spins out and have greater spin out resistance. But we can't lean on them like we can with a 70cm formula fin, especially at low speeds. Typically we sail slow when heading upwind.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old school heavy backfoot sailor.
Got my first tri in spring '84. My first twin in summer '84.
Had a dozens of tris until mid '90.
Bought the considered "bad; Starboard '10 76 Quad for less than a c note in '16.
It sucked, ridden mostly with 5.2 at Berkeley Ca. Never spun out, pointed upwind easily, the tail in a constant state of sliding. Jumps heading upwind into windswells took major bearing off to land.
Rode it a dozen days. Got upwind easy, and once slowed to a crawl, turned real nice spraying water all around. Great at lower speeds, never really got it going fast.
A maneuver oriented board for midget waves in controlled conditions, don't sail it with too big a sail.
The following year, they inverted fin sizing, going from 15 front, 10 rears, to 10 fronts, 16 rears for more holding power.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Jumps heading upwind into windswells took major bearing off to land.

Something I've always REALLY appreciated w/my tris and especially my long series of 5s was not having to bear off on landing. I often jump upwind for many reasons, and usually decide while in the air at what point of sail within my 90 degree window of opportunity I want to land. i.e., The point of sail and the location at touchdown are largely up to ME when I trust my fins and technique. My technique is not up that demand with 2s or 4s.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quads in Florida = waste of time.

Quads at hookipa = smile from ear to ear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: