myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best launch for flat water in Hood River
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exgolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: best launch for flat water in Hood River Reply with quote

I have friends coming to town who are just getting the footsteps and harness and want flat water... So which spot is better to launch?:...the ramp at the hook to sail downwind of Wells Island (puffy light wind) or just north of the Hood River Marina which is downwind of the sandbar. Do either have hazards for foiling if I want to join them? Have not sailed out of either.... Thanks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Bob's Beach in Stevenson?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about The Dalles River Front Park?

Actually if your friends launch at the far end of the Hook, There's wind
(and flat water) between Oregon and Wells Island, and pretty safe
direction since the wind just pushes back onto the Hook. It's also
relatively shallow right at the launch (look for the paths down, don't
scramble).The wind direction should keep them from getting out
into the river proper, but you'd do well
to tell them to stop before they get past the island (because an
occasional gust can slip around the island).

If you're willing to drive (and there's wind far East) 3 Mile has a dandy
enclosed bay, and can be a great introduction to high wind. The Break
water doesn't impede the wind at all, but the water is totally flat because
of it, and they'll only blow to the far end of the bay if they have trouble,
which is not far and you can see. The only issue is that I've seen a
few rattle snakes so be observant.

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE primary skill requirement for sailing almost anywhere on the Columbia, IMO, is a solid, all-conditions waterstart. Without that, just about any place can quickly get too rough to uphaul, leaving one exposed to anything from barges to rapidly increasing wind and chop or both. The most foolproof exceptions might be the Dalles waterfront park and the 3-Mile Canyon lagoon, plus maybe the areas you suggest IF your friends are very diligent, disciplined, and warned about their physical boundaries because, as you know, the river can turn on newbies without warning.
exgolfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. they are solid water starters, just really want flat water to get more dialed in (most mast foot pressure in the harness) and progressing toward jibes...
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule out both the Hook and the Marina.
The hook (inside wells) is too short of a run before you get into the wind shadow of Wells Island, and outside of Wells the swell is pretty big.
Plus it is overrun with people learning to wing now.
The Marina is too shallow unless you go way downwind towards the bridge.
As long as they have a solid waterstart, Luhr Jensen or the Event Site should be fine for your friends (and your foiling). Just don't go more than halfway across the river and the waves will be smaller than what you are likely to get even at Stevenson. There will be crowds at both spots, but after Labor Day they should thin out considerably.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how far they'll be traveling to sail in the Gorge, but if they're just getting in the straps and harness, they're years from jibing unless they live in a windy flatwater mecca and take multiple, high quality, professional lessons. You might suggest they have some fun on their way through the skill checklist, including the huge variety of sailing conditions and venues and other activities the PacNW has to offer. I've see many people walk away from the sport when and because their checklist got in the way of enjoying the living HELL out of windsurfing. THE skill that quickly transitioned me from nonjibig to jibing was slashing on swell, which taught me to master my board's direction dynamically.

You might also suggest a flatwater destination site for their next vacation (and warn them that they can get skunked ANYWHERE, ANYTIME and need a Plan B).

exgolfer wrote:
thanks. they are solid water starters, just really want flat water to get more dialed in (most mast foot pressure in the harness) and progressing toward jibes...
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marina would be one of the best spots for both of you. Just east of the sandbar there it's deep enough to windsurf and shallow enough for them to take a break and stand up if necessary. Many people use the area just for that purpose, including dialing in their waterstarts. A little farther east is a great place for flat water foiling, as long as you can get back up wind to your launch spot. I have a friend who regularly foils there and loves it because it's flat water and no crowds.
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once your friends can handle a little chop, I'd suggest Mosier. Some swell, but manageable and nice long reach. If their jibes aren't dialed, also helps to have a nice long fetch and not have to waterstart so frequently.
Bond1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-might-bit-goosty wrote:
Once your friends can handle a little chop, I'd suggest Mosier. Some swell, but manageable and nice long reach. If their jibes aren't dialed, also helps to have a nice long fetch and not have to waterstart so frequently.

I can't help but wonder what fetch has to do with it. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: