myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rich World’s Climate Hypocrisy
They beg for more oil and coal for themselves while telling developing lands to rely on solar and wind.
By Bjorn Lomborg
WSJ June 20, 2022
[The WSJ gave me explicit written permission to occasionally post articles if not for profit.]
The developed world’s response to the global energy crisis has put its hypocritical attitude toward fossil fuels on display. Wealthy countries admonish developing ones to use renewable energy. Last month the Group of Seven went so far as to announce they would no longer fund fossil-fuel development abroad. Meanwhile, Europe and the U.S. are begging Arab nations to expand oil production. Germany is reopening coal power plants, and Spain and Italy are spending big on African gas production. So many European countries have asked Botswana to mine more coal that the nation will more than double its exports.

The developed world became wealthy through the pervasive use of fossil fuels, which still overwhelmingly power most of its economies. Solar and wind power aren’t reliable, simply because there are nights, clouds and still days. Improving battery storage won’t help much: There are enough batteries in the world today only to power global average electricity consumption for 75 seconds. Even though the supply is being scaled up rapidly, by 2030 the world’s batteries would still cover less than 11 minutes. Every German winter, when solar output is at its minimum, there is near-zero wind energy available for at least five days—or more than 7,000 minutes.

This is why solar panels and wind turbines can’t deliver most of the energy for industrializing poor countries. Factories can’t stop and start with the wind; steel and fertilizer production are dependent on coal and gas; and most solar and wind power simply can’t deliver the power necessary to run the water pumps, tractors, and machines that lift people out of poverty.

That’s why fossil fuels still provide more than three-fourths of wealthy countries’ energy, while solar and wind deliver less than 3%. An average person in the developed world uses more fossil-fuel-generated energy every day than all the energy used by 23 poor Africans.

Yet the world’s rich are trying to choke off funding for new fossil fuels in developing countries. An estimated 3.5 billion of the world’s poorest people have no reliable access to electricity. Rather than give them access to the tools that have helped rich nations develop, wealthy countries blithely instruct developing nations to skip coal, gas and oil, and go straight to a green nirvana of solar panels and wind turbines.

This promised paradise is a sham built on wishful thinking and green marketing. Consider the experience of Dharnai, an Indian village that Greenpeace in 2014 tried to turn into the country’s first solar-powered community.

Greenpeace received glowing global media attention when it declared that Dharnai would refuse “to give into the trap of the fossil fuel industry.” But the day the village’s solar electricity was turned on, the batteries were drained within hours. One boy remembers being unable to do his homework early in the morning because there wasn’t enough power for his family’s one lamp.

Villagers were told not to use refrigerators or televisions because they would exhaust the system. They couldn’t use cookstoves and had to continue burning wood and dung, which creates air pollution as dangerous for a person’s health as smoking two packs of cigarettes a day, according to the World Health Organization. Across the developing world, millions die prematurely every year because of this indoor pollution.

In August 2014, Greenpeace invited one of the Indian’s state’s top politicians, who soon after become its chief minister, to admire the organization’s handiwork. He was met by a crowd waving signs and chanting that they wanted “real electricity” to replace this “fake electricity.”

When Dharnai was finally connected to the main power grid, which is overwhelmingly coal-powered, villagers quickly dropped their solar connections. An academic study found a big reason was that the grid’s electricity cost one-third of what the solar energy did. What’s more, it was plentiful enough to actually power such appliances as TV sets and stoves. Today, Dharnai’s disused solar-energy system is covered in thick dust, and the project site is a cattle shelter.

To be sure, solar energy has some uses, such as charging a cellphone or powering a light, but it is often expensive and has distinct limits. A new study in India’s most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, found that even hefty subsidies couldn’t make solar lamps worth their cost to most people. Even in wealthy nations such as Germany and Spain, most new wind and solar power wouldn’t have been installed if not for subsidies.

This is why, for all the rich world’s talk of climate activism, developed nations are still on track to continue to rely mostly on fossil fuels for decades. The International Energy Agency estimates that even if all current climate policies are delivered in full, renewables will only deliver one-third of U.S. and EU energy in 2050. The developing world isn’t blind to this hypocrisy. Nigeria’s vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, articulated the situation elegantly: “No country in the world has been able to industrialize using renewable energy,” yet Africa is expected to do so “when everybody else in the world knows that we need gas-powered industries for business.”

Rather than selfishly block other countries’ path to development, wealthy nations should do the sensible thing and invest meaningfully in the innovation needed to make green energy more efficient and cheaper than fossil fuels*. That’s how you can actually get everyone to switch to renewable alternatives. Insisting that the world’s poor live without plentiful, reliable and affordable energy prioritizes virtue signaling over people’s lives.

============

[*I'd add, "not by deliberately and artificially making fossil fuels more costly than renewables, to the detriment of 8 billion people".]

Mr. Lomborg is president of the Copenhagen Consensus and a visiting fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution. His latest book is “False Alarm: How Climate Change Panic Costs Us Trillions, Hurts the Poor, and Fails to Fix the Planet.”
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The Rich World’s Climate Hypocrisy
They beg for more oil and coal for themselves while telling developing lands to rely on solar and wind.
By Bjorn Lomborg
WSJ June 20, 2022
[The WSJ gave me explicit written permission to occasionally post articles if not for profit.]
Mr. Lomborg is president of the Copenhagen Consensus and a visiting fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution. His latest book is “False Alarm: How Climate Change Panic Costs Us Trillions, Hurts the Poor, and Fails to Fix the Planet.”

about time In Search of the Obvious aka "ISO" posted a source. But as usual he posts something from the ultra right hate media owned by Fux owner who has and supports rapists to run his businesses and pays a rapist 60 million reward even while being booted for his rapes... when he tried to hide his rapists crimes for 30 years and his cover-ups were outed....

and has other media like enquirers type media all over the world. Some oh his enquirer media even get caught illegally breaking into dead people phones for their sensationalism. All a part and MO of the hateful ultra right control of that hate media.

added ruppy is a typical spoiled brat trust fund kid... took his daddys legitimate news paper and turned into a enquirer. then exported his trash-fake news to the usa, trash sells and right wingers are the kings of trash...

and the biggest laughable part here is the article itslf, a right winger making claims that the liberals are the people who do not care about the poor.... the friggen idiot writer is braindead.... ya like a single ultra right winger has ever cared about the poor... just too funny...
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
So, do you think Diablo Canyon should close or stay open? The issue is:

Quote:
Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) decided to shut down Diablo Canyon mainly for economic reasons. The nuclear plant uses ocean water to cool its reactors, and the cooling technology is so destructive to ocean ecosystem that the technology is being completely phased out of power plants in California.

Oops, maybe a little hasty with the shutdown given the loss of 10% of the state's power and the potential for more and more blackouts because the state can't produce enough green energy to replace Diablo. Nothing unusual for California.

Thoughtful article—the kind Techno never reads. https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/07/the-diablo-canyon-power-plant-wont-stop-power-outages/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CalMatters+Newsletters&utm_campaign=7291ec4630-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_07_01_04_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_faa7be558d-7291ec4630-150242853&mc_cid=7291ec4630&mc_eid=01229ec239
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this guy is right, it just reinforces the fact that you have an idiot liberal for a governor. You still haven't stated an opinion regarding a shut down or not.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Assuming this guy is right, it just reinforces the fact that you have an idiot liberal for a governor. You still haven't stated an opinion regarding a shut down or not.

Techno makes my point. Sometimes you should gather facts before formulating an opinion, much less posting one on iwindsurf. Try it sometime.

The opinion that I do have, is that we shouldn’t heavily subsidize damaging technologies that don’t pay for the damage they cause. Like burning oil that damages public health, single use plastics that end up in the ocean—and pork manufacturers in North Carolina.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just yesterday, California's governor signed a law that will begin to reduce the waste stream of plastics. North Carolina hasn't even figured out how to reduce pig shit pollution. Apologists for big oil are gnashing their teeth.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
And just yesterday, California's governor signed a law that will begin to reduce the waste stream of plastics. North Carolina hasn't even figured out how to reduce pig shit pollution. Apologists for big oil are gnashing their teeth.

Last year when I drove to Hatteras the stench as we drove past the pig farms was unbearable.
isobans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso-quotes:
BoringStreetJournal June 20, 1982
[The BSJ gave me explicit written permission to occasionally post articles if not for profit.]

I'm a world-class expert at jibes.
I gave me THE jibing tip that became crucial to my jibing and thus
changed my life. I added another tip of my own that
significantly helps my board carve and sail jibe timing.
Both are in this jibe procedure that works for me in every
type of carved (planing) jibe and even in many subplaning
jibes. Done right, this sequence lets me exit a carved jibe
going at least as fast as I entered it. It doesn't require
memorizing a repertoire of handwork and footwork, because
the same simple handwork and footwork works from mundane to
monster winds.

Sail "faster than you've ever sailed", 'til your eyes
bleed, you pee your pants, and your shadow is two seconds
behind you. (If you don't at least feel like you're going
that fast, you don't have time to bobble and recover before
you coast to a halt. Recovering from bobbles to complete a
jibe is a good sign that you're developing a feel for
jibes, rather than just memorizing the steps.)

Now all in the space of about one or two heartbeats --
virtually simultaneously when possible -- point your knees
and chest further downwind and into your turn, curtsey (you
never bow; you CURTSEY, dropping your butt towards your
toes until your knees are bent 90 degrees and you're
looking forward from BELOW the booms), aggressively move
(or let the sail pull) your
weight forward towards your toes, thrust and lock your
front elbow out straight as though you were stiff-arming a
tackler, tip that front hand (and the mast) downwind as you
bend your back elbow hard to sheet in until your sail foot
hits your back leg (this is oversheeting, to switch the
power off), look at the water maybe 50-100 feet out in
front of you where you will exit your jibe (I look at some
distant landmark downwind to gauge my progress in my turn
and time my sail jibe), and lift your front heel to force
its arch into its strap. Your weight is riding evenly on
the ball of your front foot and your flat back foot, so
you?re not carving the turn yet. You're still on a broad
reach, ready to jibe your board, sail, and feet to the new
tack).

If you were unable to oversheet because of too much
backhand sail pressure, you (a) waited too late to
oversheet and/or (b) did not thrust the front hand forward
and into the turn. To correct this error, straighten that
front elbow and tip the mast into the turn dramatically at
the same time you oversheet. This shuts off the power in
the sail like a kill switch and puts you back in control.
The only time you don't want to oversheet is when you're
not planing and need to use the sail to push your board
through the turn.

So far this is all just normal, textbook, powered-up carved
jibing. But here is where my friend's tip and my own
addition helped my jibing in several ways.

FREEZE FRAME: Notice your arm'n'hand position; they're
cocked as though to fire a bow and arrow at a target
downwind of your present path (inside your turn). Your back
hand is cocked near your downwind shoulder as though it
were holding the bowstring and arrow feathers, your front
hand is way out there holding your bow and supporting the
arrow. Both arms are cocked to fire the arrow (spin the
sail), but ? WHEN should we jibe the sail?

My own modification helped me time the sail jibe. I began
shoving my hips sideways into the turn HARD -- as though
trying to bump the car door closed while standing beside it
with my arms full. This carves a very tight, smooth turn
and puts my body into an excellent position to exit the
turn with full power on the new broad reach, maybe even
automatically hooked and sheeted in if everything falls
into place well. This hip swing weights the leeward rail to
initiate and maintain the carve, and times the sail jibe
(flip). Your body should be arced into a pronounced C, with
your hips leading the convex side of the C into the turn.

Because your front hand is as far in front of you as you
can reach, yet you? re thrusting your hips towards the new
direction, you will feel like you?re trying to surf your
board in the opposite direction from where the sail is
going. The sail?s still heading west but your board is
starting to head east, so to speak. The cure, of course, is
to jibe the sail and take it
along with you.

Try it, but be forewarned; before you even have time to
THINK about jibing the sail, you will whip through the full
180 degrees in two heartbeats, get backwinded, and crash.
That's a big improvement, because at least now you carved
(jibed) the board all the way through the turn. Now all you
have to do is jibe (flip) your sail and jibe (switch) your
feet within that same
couple of heartbeats, and you're jibin'! This is partly an
issue of timing the sail jibe somewhere within the board
jibe.

Piece 'o cake:

Back to our sequence: at the same time you shove your
hips into the turn, before you're pointing downwind, the
pressure will leave your sail. NOW fire the arrow [i.e.,
jibe (flip) the sail]. Just as the step jibe technique
calls for us to step forward at the same time we release
the back hand, this technique works best if we jibe the
sail as we thrust the hip.

Right here is where millions of carved jibe attempts fail.
The magazines once told us to release the back hand, grasp
the mast, let the wind blow the sail around the mast like a
barn door blowing around its hinges as you coast to a slog,
and when the sail wanders around far enough you take the
new side of the boom and sail away.

BS!

That has a MAJOR, fatal, flaw: If you outrun the true wind
throughout your jibe, as you should, there won't BE any
tailwind to push the sail around. You feel tailwind only
after you drop below the true wind speed, well on your way
to dropping off a plane, at which point you're standing
there at zero speed holding a fully powered-up sail. In the
15th century this position was known as a loaded catapult.

The sailor, not the wind, should jibe the sail. We should
SPIN that sucker around its center of gravity like a top,
not wait until we slow down so much the tailwind pushes the
sail around the mast like a $1,500 barn door. A jibe is a
very aggressive mindset and process which WE, not the wind,
should control.

Only the sailor can spin the sail inside its boom length;
the wind?s surely not going to do it. At the hip thrust,
just as you feel you and the sail are heading in opposite
directions, you THROW the back of the boom away like a hot
shot-putt. A millisecond later -- way before you complete
that first THROW -- you THROW the front of the boom way
across your face and past your downwind ear, right into the
new broad reach. Your mast hand motion is much like
throwing a pass to a receiver running right along your new
broad reach (your jibe exit path). (This is why you
inverted the front-hand grip; this
second throw is much easier with your palm up.) The sail
spins untouched before your heart beats again, leaving the
new side of the boom floating in the air in front of you.
GRAB it with both hands and GO (i.e., sheet in and sail
away on a screaming broad reach, often sailing faster that
you were going before you jibed). With luck and practice,
you will switch your feet
simultaneously within or immediately after the second in
which the sail rotates, and will exit accelerating hard in
the new broad reach. You should lose no perceptible speed
in the whole process because a) it?s all off the wind and
b) you?re coasting unpowered for only a second or two.

As soon as or before I shove my hip into the turn, I stare
at a spot on the horizon just past downwind. If I haven?t
spun the sail by then, I?m late and must stop the carve and
spin the sail NOW, or I?m going to be on the new beam reach
before I?ve jibed the sail, and grabbing a sail at full
power on a beam reach before getting that back foot
strapped in is asking for a catapult.

Jibing quickly like this doesn?t give you TIME to lose
speed, hit three rows of swell, and lose your balance or
crash. I don't think my sail flip, from throwing the back
hand away to sheeting in on the new tack, takes a full
second when I do it right. The whole Throw/Throw/Grab/Go
business is just one continuous, fluid two-handed sweep of
my hands and forearms, as much
like a Kung Fu move as I can make it. The same process
works for 3.0s and for 6.8s; the 6.8 just takes harder
THROWS and takes two heartbeats rather than one.

The first one of those I tried was the greatest revelation
and revolution in my windsurfing life. No more barn doors
eating up precious seconds, mph, and two boom-lengths of
space while I fight for balance over three row of chop!
This is partly why leading ABK instructors have begun
teaching this boom-to-boom approach to jibing.

Oh, yeah -- the feet. My feet are too far from my brain to
access all them complicated textbook footwork options, let
alone select a method in mid-jibe. The step jibe, for
example, requires we pull the front foot out of its strap
until its heel crosses the board centerline, maintain
inside rail pressure with that front heel, and step forward
with the back foot while we do several OTHER things with
our hands. That footwork was too demanding for me. Besides,
the step jibe's purpose is to get our weight forward to
avoid sinking the tail after we slow down, and we want to
accelerate, not slow down, in our jibes

On my bad days I might still miss half my jibes. Here are
my more common errors:
* A face-plant inside the turn because I bent at the waist
? bowing rather than curtseying into my turn. (I can't
perceive that error until too late since losing an inner
ear to surgery.)
* Getting overpowered and pulled forward, maybe even
launched, when coming out of my jibe if I jibe the sail too
late and/or carved back up to the new beam reach before
sheeting in. Fixing my eyes on that landmark just past
downwind and spinning the sail simultaneously with the hip
thrust stops that.
* Getting bounced around and unbalanced and losing my carve
in very rough water because I failed to get that front hand
WAY out in front of me and tipped into the turn. Now that
we have the front hand palm-up, straight-arming the rig
like this is how we get our weight forward onto the front
of the board to stop bouncing.
* Getting tossed in big chop because I didn't bend my knees
DRASTICALLY.
* Being unable to oversheet because I bore off the wind too
far before trying to oversheet. The save? Shove the mast
WAY forward and inward as I oversheet (this shuts off the
power instantly), or foot-swerve back to a beam reach,
oversheet, then resume the jibe all in one quick slash.
* Losing track of where I was in the turn because I watched
my gear or the water right in front of my board rather than
looking where I was going. You must look where you intend
to go, rather than where you are, because our boards (and
cars and mountain bikes) follow our gaze. Do you look at
your dashboard or far ahead into the turn to steer your
car? I get my best
results looking at that spot on the horizon just past
downwind.
* Sinking the downwind rail with too much rail pressure for
inadequate board speed.
* Thinking too much. I have my best successes when I get
PISTOFF and JUSTDOIT rather than engaging my brain. My
brain apparently hasn?t the capacity to think real time
about the dozen or so steps required in a tight carved jibe
on a small board. A bigger board and sail slow the process
sufficiently that I can think it through.

Textbook footwork and all that boom-to-mast-to-boom
handwork works for millions of people. But 1) I couldn't
make them work; 2) they leave other millions losing their
plane before completing their jibe; and 3) they are not as
inherently fast and tight because they involve more steps,
they swing the sail through twice the space, and they
require greater coasting
(unpowered) time and space. Sarah James, a leading ABK
instructor, now teaches boom-to-boom jibing instead of the
old, more complicated, cumbersome, slower boom-mast-boom
method.

The boom-to-boom sail jibe helps cure the following aborted
carved jibe that I see every five seconds at the amateur
end of the Gorge?s Hatchery: They enter the jibe fast,
DELIBERATELY sail off the wind until the board stops
planing and the sail yanks their back hand, release the
back hand, let the sail take its own sweet time blowing
around the mast as the board coasts to a standstill, then
grab the new side of the boom and try to get planing again.
While that is a jibe, it is NOT a carved, or planing, jibe,
by definition. And it?s tough to do in big chop.

Aggression and commitment are virtually required to carve
planing jibes. The wind has already done its job in getting
us up to speed; the actual jibe is OUR responsibility,
AFTER which the wind comes back into play.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 80 posts, without one original thought ... just plagiarism. Hey, it provably got Joe Biden through college and many of his political speeches, so it seems to fool some of the people some of the time.

Let's go, Isobans.

BTW, thanks for reminding me: I need to update and clarify some spots in that tutorial.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Isobars wanted to prove he was fast, he would have raced. But when you don’t put it to the test, you can make whatever mad claim you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 185 of 205

Jump to: