myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
PERMANENT camping restrictions at Corps parks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: PERMANENT camping restrictions at Corps parks Reply with quote

A decade ago, when Gorge parks such as Roosevelt were parked out much of the summer, the Corps limited overnight parking to 7 nights out of any 30-day stretch. It made sense under those circumstances.

Now they're at it again, throughout most or all of the Pacific NW. It's not rumor; it's on the USACE websites.

I don't know about you, but that's devastating to me. Out of the 70+ Columbia River launch sites I've sailed from over almost 40 years, my health restricts my time now to about three sites, with Rosey an absolute #1 in my book much of that time and now about all I have left.

I won't miss forced brief trips to crime-ridden big cities, and I don't have a personal stake in San Diego's ban on yoga groups on the beach. But WTF, USACE ... what's the point in limiting people's access to what in my case is the most important activity and site left in my life? What brilliant leftard thought this up, and with what excuse? It can't be global warming, or racism, or the economy, or going green, as it flies in those excuses' collective face.

I left phone messages whining about this with the John Day and The Dalles USACE offices, and hope to hear from them very soon. I want to know how widespread this order is and what justification they have for it, so I know what to say and to whom to say it in the hopes of getting this restriction lifted or at least mitigated. I've had good results over the decades with my appeals to the USACE, the BLM, federal and state government offices, state and local park management, etc. to listen to common sense, and I hope this won't be an exception. If I find some promising leads and contacts, I'll certainly post them here.

Please get on the phone and speak up if you enjoy camping at USACE parks. Don't just sit there and take crappy treatment like this lightly; speak out. If I find they have valid (IN MY OPINION) justification, I'll post it here immediately and eat my crow with BBQ sauce.
philodog

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's the point in limiting people's access to what in my case is the most important activity and site left in my life? What brilliant leftard thought this up, and with what excuse?"

Maybe they thought other people should be able to use it too?

"I don't know about you, but that's devastating to me."

The people in Gaza are praying for you!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
1. Maybe they thought other people should be able to use it too?

2. The people in Gaza are praying for you!

1. What's stopping them? When's the last time you couldn't find a place to park?

2. No, the "people" in Gaza are praying and screaming for the total, violent annihilation of Israel. But this isn't the forum for that discussion.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
philodog wrote:
1. Maybe they thought other people should be able to use it too?

2. The people in Gaza are praying for you!

1. What's stopping them? When's the last time you couldn't find a place to park?

2. No, the "people" in Gaza are praying and screaming for the total, violent annihilation of Israel. But this isn't the forum for that discussion.

But nonetheless you inject politics into a screed about parking, from what I can gather...
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
isobars wrote:

But nonetheless you inject politics into a screed about parking, from what I can gather...

Yup. He is the poster boy for hypocrite.

isobars wrote:
What brilliant leftard thought this up, and with what excuse? It can't be global warming, or racism, or the economy, or going green, as it flies in those excuses' collective face.

Rolling Eyes

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always about Iso. Never any effort to figure out why something happened, just a rant if it doesn't please Iso.
SAS

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso is such a selfish hypocrite. He writes a screed mostly about himself and not about the issue. Then he inserts irrelevant politics into it, and then chides philodog for answering back.

A thoughtful person would discuss the restrictions, focusing on the necessity of them, whether there should be restrictions, and if so, which parks deserve them.

Not being a gorge sailor, I don’t know the specifics of different parks, but IMO it would make sense for popular parks to have monthly limitations to allow more people to enjoy them, and there should be restrictions on too many consecutive days to prevent permanent or semi-permanent usage.

And a bit of advice to ISO: at the end of your screed, you ask other people to get involved. Writing a post that alienates anyone who doesn’t share your politics is unlikely to get anyone involved based upon the principles of your complaints. The only people who will contact the agencies involved will be people who are directly affected by them.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys who express concern about parking access didn't even read my posts in this thread.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with the Corpse about the new restrictions. They look like serious, codified threats to people fortunate enough to sail to their hearts' content, but that's not their intent. They are intended as grounds for ejecting flagrant homesteaders as necessary, not park users who come and go with the wind no matter how often.

Looks like I'll have to repeat this in a new Northwest thread, because very few rational people follow this heavily landmined forum.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea...Leave these pages for the "brilliant leftards" like myself..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: