myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vent plug stripped
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richhotdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Vent plug stripped Reply with quote

I just checked the vent plug on an F2 Maui project wave board and realized it is stripped out. The plug stays in but can not be tightened. I don't want to permanently glue the plug in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Rich
mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook makes a 5/8 inch retrofit board vent. You can view it on their website www.chinooksailing.com under the board construction section. There are two versions, screwdriver (part #309) or the thumbscrew (part # 311). You should be able to drill out the existing one and glue the new one in its place.

Fiberglass Supply www.fiberglasssupply.com sells part #309 for $4.08.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't even thought of that reason I never mess with my vent plugs.

We could come up with a few trial fixes, but with so much at stake I would not experiment. I'd replace the vent altogether or, if like me you don't take it to high altitudes or heat extremes, glue it shut and fugheddaboutit. The MPWs are still among my all time favorite boards (I have many of them); take good care of it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try a hardware type screw that is slightly larger, it may self tap,
The washer, rubber seal may pose a problem. If slightly too large plumbers tape around the threads. I might try a layer of silicone around the threads,
On the screw, of the existing one. A new proper vent vent screw may work using this as well, but will never be as durable.

Last option may be fill the existing hole and install a new one, plug that is.

Some vents are attached to the mast track, which case removal is not an option.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Some vents are attached to the mast track, which case removal is not an option.

I just looked* at one of my MPWs; its vent appears to be integral with the mast track, as it's right there at the aft end of the track and looks internally just like the track. U2's suggestions for re-using the existing vent sound spot on. Gorilla Glue would be too permanent; I'd do a bit of research to determine what glue/filler/adhesive would stick best to the thermoplastic material without permanently bonding like GG does (NEVER use GG to keep footstrap screws from loosening; it's stronger than the screws).

* Damn! I hope I didn't mess up a good seal that's held up for 14 years untouched except for its annual O-ring inspection. Smile
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do some investigation first before jumping into a repair.

First, can you get the existing screw out? You said it just spins.

If you can get it out, you need to inspect - are the threads on the screw damaged or are the threads on the insert damaged? Or is the insert spinning in the board?

If the screw threads are damaged, then it's a simple fix - replace the screw.

If the insert threads are damaged, one possibility would be to re-tap to the next larger thread size and use a larger screw.

If there is not enough material to re-tap to the next larger size, or if the insert is spinning in the board, honestly, I would probably just epoxy the thing shut and be done with it. Vent screws seem to cause more problems than they actually solve. In the event that some day you need to ship your board by air freight, drill a 1/8" hole in the deck, ship the board, and then fill with epoxy when it reaches it's destination...at least that's probably what I would do.

Another potential solution - coat the screw with release agent. Then coat the screw in marine tex and insert into the vent hole. After the marine tex cures, back the screw out. The marine text that remains in the hole should provide the needed thread engagement. Note that you may need to come back and drill out any marine tex that blocks the passageway into the board.

sm
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Chinook makes a 5/8 inch retrofit board vent. You can view it on their website www.chinooksailing.com under the board construction section. There are two versions, screwdriver (part #309) or the thumbscrew (part # 311). You should be able to drill out the existing one and glue the new one in its place.

Fiberglass Supply www.fiberglasssupply.com sells part #309 for $4.08.

The best and easiest fix for me was part #R62-5119 from FGS listed above, after I filled the old stripped vent with epoxy. It took me about 15 minutes.

IMG_5175.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.6 KB
 Viewed:  17847 Time(s)

IMG_5175.JPG

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part number R62-5119 from Fiberglass Supply is the Chinook part number 309. As NW30 says it is very easy to install. Drilling a new hole is probably better than trying to enlarge the existing vent hole particularly if the vent screw is integral with the mast box.
richhotdog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. The plug comes out and I tried a new plug it still would not tighten. I am going to try a larger screw and see if that works,but I think there would still be a chance for water to get in the board.I would really like to just seal the plug hole with epoxy and forget about it.The board is never going to be shipped or travel to a higher elevation. It will go from my garage to the beach, about 5 miles and back. The only time I open the vent screw on my other boards is when I store then for the winter and have never had any problems.What do you think?
Thanks,
Rich
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to mix up some epoxy anyway, then you are half way there to installing the retro fit vent, all you need is to drill a new hole thru the deck somewhere. I lost a board just sitting in my van, with the windows closed, on a day that got to about 100*, I forgot about it and the entire bottom delaminated. It's not worth the risk, and the epoxy costs about the same as a new plug, if not more. But go ahead if you can't wait for that small envelope, with a little plug in it, to arrive at your house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: