myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend Reply with quote

Back from a few days of sailing and instruction in Aruba. Just posting to relive the extended weekend. Eleven assorted windsurfing observations, plus a question:

1) Yours vs. Theirs: I tried 4 different boards during the trip. Initially, I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t quite like the feel of any of these 4 boards relative to mine back home. Then, I realized that is faulty logic … My favorite board is one I own! That’s terrific. A lot probably has to do with the fact you can tune your personal board just the way you like it, but still nice to know you have what you like best.

2) Flotation: May not look good … but saves a lot of energy when practicing things that will inevitably put you in the water. I always wear a vest home, but didn’t here (vanity, maybe). I think that cost me a few runs / turns in extra breaks.

3) Water Cooler Talk, Windsurfing-Style: Vela’s offshore buoy / water cooler is just a great idea. It is obviously good (needed) to provide navigation and a reference for just how far offshore you might be ‘drifting’. But, more importantly, it is terrific to have an offshore waist-deep hangout for just fellow windsurfers … meeting folks with a similar passion, feeling everyone’s energy when they rip by, talking smack when someone blows a turn in a big way. No one else can get out to that precious oasis … it is all ours (for kids, mids, and olds alike).

4) Crashing vs. Bathing: Clear, 80 degree Caribbean water just feels so much better than brown, 60 degree river water … making a crash feel like a bath Granted I’ll take the river water over sitting on the couch … just say’n.

5) The perfect gal?: When the offshore watercooler group was discussing the strengthening winds and somewhat overpowered sails, a few guys started talking about sheeting-out a bit. One, talented, female windsurfer said, “oh, I don’t like sheeting out”. If I was single, I would have thought I just found my soulmate.

6) Vela staff: The Aruba Vela staff was terrific. They were friendly, helpful and funny. If I was looking for a tip, they were there to provide it. If I wanted to get out/in quickly, they were there to help maneuver equipment. If I wanted to just tell someone about my session, they were there to listen and encourage. If I wanted to just browse the boards, they left me alone to look and consider. The equipment was abundant and in good shape.

7) A Shame, But: It is a shame that the newish Ritz Carlton hotel blocks the wind in one of the best flat water portions of the east shore … BUT, there is plenty of sailing zone to the north and further offshore. Still a great spot, IMO.

8 Birds Standing … Yep, That’s a Clue: Think you see birds standing in offshore water …. Don’t second-guess, that’s definitely a reef/bar. It had been a while since I had been to Aruba. And, on the last trip, there were small buoy markers showing the way through a very shallow area. These buoys were no longer there. I second guessed the standing-birds (clearly must be floating, right?) and sheared a fin clean-off. Thankfully, I didn’t owe too much for the fin, and the fin box shrugged off the incident.

9) Upside Surprise: The second morning I saw the forecast at 21 for the entire day. I usually think in mph … so 21 was pretty darn good. Then I realize it was in knots … oh, baby, even better!

10) Zero gravity Near the Equator … for Some: I’m sure many on this forum won’t be surprised … but seeing folks doing flips and other aerials without a ramp impresses the hell out of me.

11) Feedback: Well as much as I like to think I know what I am doing, the feedback I received from two lessons was incredibly helpful. I had no idea I was doing some things that ultimately were roadblocks to nailing some higher-order skills. I’ll join the “take a lesson once in a while” crowd.

12) Callus Priming: I knew that working on some new skills would take a toll on my hands (yeah, I know, inefficiency). The couple weeks prior to the trip I tried to workout with my roughest metal dumbbells to get some calluses built up. But, it wasn’t enough. Any ideas on callus priming?

Happy sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to build and tear off a few callouses each spring. Now that I do all my chores and gym work (and sailing) barehanded, I haven't even noticed my hands in many years now, not even after a winter without any sailing.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on doing all chores sans gloves ... I may adopt that for yard work.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless splinters are everywhere (or they contain arsenic) or it's literally freezing, I haven't work gloves even for extended, heavy duty yard work for many years now. No gloves at home = no gloves on the water. On the flip side, I see many guys wearing gloves in the gym. Watch repairmen? OB-GYNs? Girly-men? Smile

Then, of course, remember that our hands are for jibing, not reaching.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend Reply with quote

Even with a seasons worth of river callus, I still tear my hands up in
salt water, and I think it is the salt. You might try priming by rubbing your hands together in a bowl of salt water. Personally, I'm a super glue fan.

-Craig

justall wrote:

12) Callus Priming: I knew that working on some new skills would take a toll on my hands (yeah, I know, inefficiency). The couple weeks prior to the trip I tried to workout with my roughest metal dumbbells to get some calluses built up. But, it wasn’t enough. Any ideas on callus priming?

Happy sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Personally, I'm a super glue fan.

Isn't that a problem in jibes? Very Happy
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend Reply with quote

Could be an even bigger problem after a pit stop ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
Personally, I'm a super glue fan.

Isn't that a problem in jibes? Very Happy
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted Observations from an Extended Windsurfing Weekend Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Could be an even bigger problem after a pit stop

Can't believe I didn't know about super glue ... Good tip.

Regarding problems using before drying during a pit stop ... That reminds me of a poison ivy story.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, pics & vids? More detailed gear review?

As far as hands go, it's difficult to maintain skin toughness without windsurfing. All hands aren't equal and rental gear can be tough to dial in.

What I would do is on the first day, is keep an eye on your hands, if they become red (usually 1hr) then it's time for a cool down. Use hand lotion. Then gradually increase time on the water. If you're "trying things" 1hr to 1hr and a half on the water is lots of time anyway. If not, then back-and-forth sailing (especially on flat water) is usually quite easy on the hands because most of the time is spent hooked in. After an hour of warm water, the skin will soften, that's why it's a good idea to come back and rest.

When the calluses start forming, sand them down with rough sandpaper, so that the skin is smooth and without bumps. Lotion does a good job to cool hands down.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that hospitals use some form of glue at times rather than, stitches, assume its certified.

I am reluctant to use a product that comes from Walmarts hardware section on my hands.

I would say that LIQUID Bandage is at least certified for Human use, (provided you are human) comes in a bottle with brush applicator , dries pretty quik, would provide a coating, not a fix.

I use this on my thumbs with always get raw. Calaous dont seem to form till 4/5 weeks in for me, maybe its milking the cows with Bag Balm that keeps them nice and soft.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: