myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good sun protection hat?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flpnhndl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Good sun protection hat? Reply with quote

Anyone now a good, wide brim hat for sun protection that has a brim that doesn't fold back as soon as you start moving forward and stays down at speed?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet with visor. Solves that problem and many more.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got $12,500?
http://www.ebay.com/cln/pharrellwilliams/Hats/76367642011

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.79 KB
 Viewed:  46548 Time(s)

image.jpg

flpnhndl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mike: The helmet protects the forehead and nose but you still get the sun on the side and back of neck.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus the term, "redneck", so common where I grew up just north of you.

I don't mind slathering sunscreen on my neck, but all over my face and head is a messy PITA. My batter's helmet covers or shadows just about all of my head, so it's close enough. Besides, I'm more concerned about injury and cataracts than skin cancer.

And I have yet to have my helmet visor fold back. If it ever does, I'll be danged glad I was wearing it. Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the hats that Phil McGain wears. He pretty consistently races with a hat, so you know that his hat isn't holding him back.

While isobars isn't concerned about skin cancer, many of us should be. As one who has had number of significant skin cancers requiring surgery, let caution and protection be your guide. I always wear a hat while in the sun, for windsurfing, I wear a Gath helmet and sunscreen.
thombiz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a big hunt for a wide brimmed windsurfing hat several years ago. It took a while, but I soon learned there is no such thing as a super wide brimmed hat that is also a good sailing hat. That doesn't mean there isn't a good super wide brimmed hat for light wind days, and an otherwise exceptional hat for the windy days. For light wind days, I found the "Watership Trading Company's Vineyard Haven" to be exceptional and you'll likely not find a better fitting hat than this one. It has one of the widest brims on the side and in the back on the market and the construction is exceptional.

Now for windy day hats. I found the answer and it wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap but it damn well works. Don't believe the advertised claims of the others, this one will do the trick. It is... the Tilley Hat "T3 Original Cotton Duck Hat" !! www.tilley.com This hat is amazing, but you will have to make a slight modification to it. At the very edge of the brim the fabric is folded over and sewn down. There is just enough room in the folded over part to insert a piece of weedwacker string continuous around the perimeter of the hat. Once this weedwacker string is inserted, pull a little tention on the string until the brim just starts to pucker, then hand lap sew the two ends of the weedwacker string together, and cut off the excess. I've used such a hat for several years in winds up to 45 mph and it will almost never try to fold up or otherwise become unruly. It might try to fly off, so just lower the front brim and it will stay put. It is a truly great solution and the sun coverage is not bad!

see example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Quality-Mens-Off-White-Tilley-Summer-Hat-Made-in-Canada-Size-7-/290930448795

Here's the hat I've been wearing for over 5 years, and I'm saying it works:

That cupped edge of the brim and the stiff weedwacker string is what gives it the stiffness and stability it needs.

Last edited by thombiz on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best one can ask for is a synthetic bucket hat, with an extra stiff brim. anything wide brim flaps up in windy conditions.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
flpnhndl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good idea thombiz. I had tried gluing plastic on the underside of the brim but it just did not work. I'll give your solution a shot. Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rei.com/product/721671/outdoor-research-sun-runner-cap

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: