myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chand2

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing the Ditch Reply with quote

Wherever you launch in Redwood City, you need to slog a bit to get out to the wind line. It doesn't blow that hard normally in there. The Marine Institute has a beach, but it seems like a wind shadow around there You can launch at the regular boat launch off Chesapeake. You can also launch way down at the end of Seaport but you have to tack a bit more to get out to the wind line. And there are a lot of rocks to negotiate on the shore.
I boat sail and paddle board in the harbor. Over 10 years ago, I posted this video taken of Sailwave in Redwood City from my Trimaran.
https://youtu.be/7uwVGdbjHMI
sailwave

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Hi Sailwave,
Where do you launch? Are there any options near the Marine Science Institute? Looks like that would be a straight shot to the ditch.

I launch at the boat ramp at the end of Chesapeake Dr and you should be able to low wind tack as often needed to get to clear wind in the channel or to get back with a wind shift. Best at mid to high tide. Marine Science Institute has various programs and events going on most days and posted signs for program/event parking only.
mark

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will try the boat ramp. Redwood City is one of the few places on the peninsula I have not sailed. It seems like it would be a good place when 3rd is SW and the tide is too low at Palo Alto.

Mark
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing the Ditch Reply with quote

chand2 wrote:
Wherever you launch in Redwood City, you need to slog a bit to get out to the wind line. It doesn't blow that hard normally in there. The Marine Institute has a beach, but it seems like a wind shadow around there You can launch at the regular boat launch off Chesapeake. You can also launch way down at the end of Seaport but you have to tack a bit more to get out to the wind line. And there are a lot of rocks to negotiate on the shore.
I boat sail and paddle board in the harbor. Over 10 years ago, I posted this video taken of Sailwave in Redwood City from my Trimaran.
https://youtu.be/7uwVGdbjHMI
Hey, thanks agan for the video. BTW, that was a 6.8m 4 camber sail that day. The audio says something about 8m. More of my RWC windsurf videos can be searched on youtube with "windsurfing redwood city".
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to hang out with ctuna and windward at SLR today. forecast did not pan out but we had a few good runs.

20220604_163553.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.77 KB
 Viewed:  4869 Time(s)

20220604_163553.jpg

LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward

20220604_181837.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.73 KB
 Viewed:  4868 Time(s)

20220604_181837.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the weeds? I’ll be returning stateside in a few weeks & was hoping to make another O’Neil trip or two before the weeds close the place out.

Coachg
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
How are the weeds? I’ll be returning stateside in a few weeks & was hoping to make another O’Neil trip or two before the weeds close the place out.

Coachg

Weeds were there but covered with a fair bit of water. The locals suggested I go with my weed speed fin versus my regular slalom fin, which was totally fine. Windward just went with his wave fin and that was fine. The worst part seemed to be getting the slimy stuff off your boom after uphauling.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^What he said.^^^
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The last time I was there in the middle of May, the water was real low with weeds exposed in many places. Sounds like they put more water in the lake since then. Hopefully I can get at least one more weekend there before the weeds close me out. Not worth investing in a weed fin for me.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 321 of 329

Jump to: