myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Never Been Used Vintage Equipment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gracie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Never Been Used Vintage Equipment Reply with quote

I am doing some volunteer work for a non-profit Community Sailing Center in the northeast that is trying to sell some windsurfing kits, boards, masts, and various parts that were donated to the Center. They are "new" in that they have never been used (still in the original bubble wrap), but they are vintage age. The donation includes 1984 Mistral Bermuda, 1983 Mistral Competition Light, 1987 Mistral Competition TCS, 1988 Mistral Superlight, 1985 Mistral Pandera, 1984 Mistral Garda, 1988 Mistral Ventura, 1988 Mistral Equipe, 160 Hobie Alpha, and 180 Hobie Alpha complete windsurfers.

Does anyone have any ideas as to who might be interested in a unique opportunity to buy this vintage equipment?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested in the one of the Mistral longboards. Do you know the length and volumes for the various models? Also, how much $$ are we talking?
RickCronk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins, daggerboards, mast bases, masts, sails, booms, how complete are these kits? Thanks, RC
gracie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kits are totally complete.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Gracie, that seems totally counter productive to me i.e. a Sailing club selling good sailing equipment. Maybe you ought to find another place to look for money. Whoever is behind this should be thrown out of the club.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
Hey, Gracie, that seems totally counter productive to me i.e. a Sailing club selling good sailing equipment. Maybe you ought to find another place to look for money. Whoever is behind this should be thrown out of the club.

Ahhh, Brucie, ever the silver-tongued diplomat. You have a way with words, big guy.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe SailingTrump has a point, though. There are some excellent boards in that pile, both for WSing and SUP. Pristine Comps, Superlights, Equipe ... even for people not into vintage sailing per se, those are some fine-sailing boards. Will the Comps and Superlight be as easy to sail on Day One as a Start? No. But anyone who can't stay balanced on those two boards by Day 3 or 4 ought to consider a different sport.

Mike \m/
kempt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Vintage Gear Reply with quote

Gracie
Please email me BBay111@aol.com
gracie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Community Sailing Center is the only area organization providing everyone, regardless of age, ability or income, with educational and recreational access to the water in the area. They provide youth camps, adult instruction, racing, etc. They work with area schools, social service programs, corporations and other organizations to develop low-cost or free sailing programs.

While the Center was very grateful for the donation, windsurfing is not its major focus and it does not have room for all this equipment.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Maybe SailingTrump has a point, though. There are some excellent boards in that pile, both for WSing and SUP. Pristine Comps, Superlights, Equipe ... even for people not into vintage sailing per se, those are some fine-sailing boards. Will the Comps and Superlight be as easy to sail on Day One as a Start? No. But anyone who can't stay balanced on those two boards by Day 3 or 4 ought to consider a different sport.

Mike \m/

Mike, you are absolutely correct that people can learn and enjoy windsurfing by starting on old longboard designs. I did it, you did it, great.

Organized instructional operations outside killer venues like Maui and the Gorge rely on maximizing the windsurfing experience in lighter air while doing so in the shortest amount of time. That metric leans heavily in favor of modern, wide boards. Lots of varieties to select as circumstances merit, from boards like the AHD Zen to the Bic Techno to the Kona One. By keeping the satisfaction level high and minimizing the time it takes to get there, instruction operations are able to retain windsurfers whose experience tends to attract more students.

Having taught hundreds if not thousands of people to windsurf, let me be the one to praise wider, high volume boards for teaching the basics. Yes, traditional longboards do work well in limited circumstances, but the less tipping and wobbling one experiences the easier it is to uphaul, sail, tack and return. Ergo, smiles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: