myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need advice on sailing Crissy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Need advice on sailing Crissy Reply with quote

Yesterday (Sat) out at Crissy. I was on an 86l, w/ 5.0. (165lbs) 1:30 to 3:00 was in good control, feeling awesome. Even doing those hand over hand jibes without grabbing the mast. Then, from 3:00 on, couldn't do anything right. Other sailers were passing me, missing all my jibes, and was spending most of my time fighting to keep downwind and away from the bridge.

Same set up today 5:00 and everything fine. Well, could have caught more jibes but the jumps were good and had a great sesh.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the question?

Didn't sail, but drove across the Bay Bridge around 2:45. Entire area from Berkely to Treasure to Crissy was honkin'. Perhaps you just were OP?
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is: why was I having such a difficult time staying downwind? And yeah, I guess I could've been OPed, but it seemed like there were times when I needed that big a sail, otherwise I'd just be slogging.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could tidal flow be a factor? High tide (predicted) Saturday was 2:26PM, so there would be an ebb flow heading out the Gate after that time.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tide was definitely a factor. There was a strong ebb, but others didn't seem to be experiancing the same problem as I was. I'm wondering if moving the fin or the mast base would help.
sdreier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tides/currents are always an issue at crissy. You really need to setup your session with the currents in mind. Also, it isn't a one time, synchronized event with the switch from ebb->flood. It can still be ebbing hard in the middle or out by the bridge, but already switching to flood near the beach. (and vice versa).

Being over powered on an ebb can make staying downwind difficult. Most people have different fin combinations for ebb vs. flood. A wave type fin on an ebb will help you stay downwind. Conversely, use a pointer fin and extra sail on a flood.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely tidal and a little wind related. I down there around 2pm and it was clearly still flooding and not psycho yet. I got on the water around 3pm and things were just starting to get a little gnarly out there. It was really gusty and I started out 4.5 and 95L to deal with the lulls. Filled in more about 90 minutes later and went to the 80L.

Crissy is sometimes really tough to figure out. It was particularly gusty on Saturday and I would guess some of those gust were pegging 35-40. The conditions were not easy and even people who sail there a lot were challenged. I was using a smallish fin which both gives you better control in the chop and lets you slide a little downwind to counteract the ebb.

The oblivious kiter in the #32 football jersey doing tricks on the inside wasn't helping matters either.
pirireis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tides/swell cirection at Crissy and the holes can definitely make that place weird at times. What I find is that if the tides are strong and depending on the swell direction going downwind can be difficult. I find this hard to believe but I have experienced this myself, something to do with the angle of the wind and the angle of the swell and if it is not nuking then going downwind can be hard especially when you hit those annoying holes upwind of Anita Rock close to shore. You are in the hole, out of the harness, then gusts come and that chop hits you and the swell carries you next thing you know you are in the water with not enough wind to waterstart, but people just upwind are blasting. Weird indeed.
shitan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about Crissy
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion for sailing off the wind when OP: Watch the formula guys when they go really deep downwind. They sheet completely in, which is counter intuitive. Try it. You are actually spilling wind by oversheeting. You need to sail very deep downwind. Your board speed is not as fast as sailing across the wind, or slightly up or downwind, but your progress down wind is much faster. Sometimes you might find yourself too deep downwind, riding a swell and your sail goes slack. Just bear slighly upwind and get ready for the power to come back on. Done properly, the sail is still sheeted way in. Suddenly sheeting out when very deep off the wind, will power you right out of your footstraps and into the water. Its kind of a weird sensation when you lock it in and are screaming downwind. You feel like the nose of your board is going to pearl into the trough of the next chop/swell, but it won't. Just commit and wait for the big grin to spread across your face:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: