myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape Ice report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windydoug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the video above. Great ice.

We get some decent ice around Rochester, NY and have gotten out 3 times this year. Below is a link to a video I put together last spring showing a couple of the locals/regulars out having fun. The video includes a little more turning than some of the others, as well as some sail around 360's.
Check it out and enjoy.
Our speed runs are a decidedly slower than the guys out on the Cape, but you wouldn't know it when you are riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uT5UlXkOn8

Doug
rochesterwindsports.com
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody please post a pic or two of how to make a righteous truck blade assembly?

I am at the skateboard truck and blade phase, and with only an 8" rear spread, i found a death-wobble in my turns last year that kind of almost destroyed my vital signs on several skid outs

Although far outweighed by the great sail handling aspect of ice sailing, the above is the only negative paradox that i have found "the hard way"

That is, with wave sailing, you are TRYING to break the back end free, and with ice sailing...that's not a good plan!

inf2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outcast, here are some pictures of a great setup that I got off the web. I was going to make a set but have not had any time yet. Someday. Hope this helps.

IMG_0025.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.92 KB
 Viewed:  20338 Time(s)

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.38 KB
 Viewed:  20337 Time(s)

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.6 KB

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.58 KB

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.69 KB

IMG_0021.jpg

outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing just looks MEAN.....thanks for posting

i gotta get serious about "the silent sport"

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003 wrote:
Outcast, here are some pictures of a great setup that I got off the web. I was going to make a set but have not had any time yet. Someday. Hope this helps.

Those are Nordic Skates being used, very cleaver.
However, I hope the edges have been reground to a "V" and not being used as a Nordic skate "[_]" squared edge.
Beware, if they are squared they will not work to provide lateral resistance!

Shocked

The typical Nordic skate works like any foot worn skate as it is angled to provide edging.

Sorry I don't have more pics of my board.
Dean's video shows my board from the bottom in 2 still shots.

Here is a quick video clip of my board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvQKCxLrXk

Jeff
windydoug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truck in the photo's above looks identical to my MBS mountain board truck. It is what I was riding (yellow and blue Naish sail) in the youtube vid in my previous post. About a 15 width I believe. The front truck I used was a 9.5" old school skate truck from a website called "oldshooolskates" or something like that. I have had no issues with spin out with this set up. The other guy in the video has a much simpler set up with narrow trucks. His board is a bit tippier than mine, but he deals with it well and kicks butt. Maybe tighten up the bushing a little bit more?
See the photo at bottom for a comparison of our boards. My board is the one with sail attached, and the more basic....but still great board is in the foreground.

The blades were made from standard steel stock I bought at a local big box. 1/4"x2"x15". Filed them to a sharp v on the base.

The plans I followed for my board are here:

http://www.amcboston.org/windsurf/iceboardinfo/

They are identical to a Freeskate. I did use 1/4" rod to stabilize both the front AND back blades. I obviously did not have the special freeskate back truck that is featured in the plans.
I am in the process of building another board, but differently. I have welded 3/8 threaded rod onto an existing truck the whole way across. I started buy using 4 hose clamps to hold the rod against the aluminum truck body, and then welded some metal stock to bridge the gap between the existing threaded axle and the new threaded rod. We might see how it holds up this weekend.

Doug
rochesterwindsports.com
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Jeff's trucks are a guarded secret.. he won't let me near his blade sharpening device. I think he's protecting his GPS records and copyrights. Laughing

But here are a few pictures of innovative trucks and spans.
The ones designed by Rick you can buy. The others, well... you'll have to just copy them.
The Fiberspar span is functional, but they are hard to come by.

Deano

Iceboard Trucks 2small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  888.7 KB
 Viewed:  20251 Time(s)

Iceboard Trucks 2small.jpg

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocoapuff wrote:
Very Happy Jeff's trucks are a guarded secret.. he won't let me near his blade sharpening device. I think he's protecting his GPS records and copyrights. Laughing

Deano

HA! Very Happy
Now those are a fine collection of mean machines!

Lincoln's truck was an aluminum version of the original Dave Clapp prototype Freeskate "through the hull king pin/bushing" design.
Dave's was always the best one with a carbon span, aluminum blade faces.
I will try to dig up a photo.

I freely share my runner, gear & other info with all, ...but the "Blademaster" grinding machine is a secret weapon! Cool
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez.....gotta get me a machine shop.

I can work with wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber.....and bikini tops....
but that's some heavy metal

But Nice Thread!.....this definitely should get me started (for 2011)

inf2003

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Geez.....gotta get me a machine shop.

I can work with wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber.....and bikini tops....
but that's some heavy metal

Outcast, if you follow the plans that Windydoug gave a link to they are very simple to make. You don’t need any special machining to have a good performing board. I made one several years ago using that exact design and it came out great and worked great. The plan even shows how to make the simple sharpening jig. It just puts the blades on a 45 degree angle so you can run a file over them. It also works great.

These are simple to make and don’t require the fancy machining that the nicer set ups have. All the materials come from the Home Dumpster. All you need is plywood, steel for the runners, threaded rod and nuts and some downhill wide skateboard trucks too.

You don’t have to but it works better if you can lengthen the rear axel. Just make up a steel rear axel that goes on top of the skateboard axel and have someone tack weld a couple of tabs on that you can secure with the wheel nuts on the truck. Some people even just use a heavy hose clamp to fasten the longer axel.

Quote:
But Nice Thread!.....this definitely should get me started (for 2011)

Yes an excellent thread. All execpt for when that Troll "Bruce" had to go stick his nose in and derail the whole thing (once again) But I guess thats par for the course in this place. Thanks to Pueno for keeping that under control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: