myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boardshorts with Seat Harness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaphal3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Boardshorts with Seat Harness Reply with quote

First off, let me say I use a seat harness Because it looks like a giant diaper (reference to earlier topic). Either that or it was handed down to me, and I don't mind it so I use it.

Are there any Boardshorts that will fit well under a seat Harness without riding up excessively? In the summer months I don't want to be all uncomfortable down there.

I don't really like Jammer/Bike short style swimsuits, and I think it might look kinda weird to wear a water polo suit (briefs/speedo style) underneath a seat Harness. I don't want to look like I'm sailing naked unless I'm actually doing so.

Thanks for any recommendations. Peace,

Dev
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it DaKine that makes a seat harness where the boardshorts are an integral part of the harness design?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go: a harness built into board shorts.

http://www.dakine.com/kite/harnessesbars/harnesses/nitrous-shorts/

Mike \m/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older style "trunks", with an elastic waist, mesh underlining, and balloony pockets are the worst about bunching up and / or vacuum-molding to your private parts, accentuating the "diaper" appearance.

Modern boardshorts are a little better because the fabric is a bit stiffer and more resistant to bunching and clinging. Also, the non-elastic tie-waist is more secure if you're swimming / diving / surfing. You can get some with fairly long cut legs to they will still be longish when your seat harness is on.

The dakine nitrous seat harness / shorts are ok, but kinda silly when it's colder and you're wearing a wetsuit. Also, the shorts get kinda faded and worn out before the harness in them does.

Of course the best solution if you're concerned about looks is to wear a waist harness.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Older style "trunks", with an elastic waist, mesh underlining, and balloony pockets are the worst about bunching up and / or vacuum-molding to your private parts, accentuating the "diaper" appearance.

Modern boardshorts are a little better because the fabric is a bit stiffer and more resistant to bunching and clinging. Also, the non-elastic tie-waist is more secure if you're swimming / diving / surfing. You can get some with fairly long cut legs to they will still be longish when your seat harness is on.

The dakine nitrous seat harness / shorts are ok, but kinda silly when it's colder and you're wearing a wetsuit. Also, the shorts get kinda faded and worn out before the harness in them does.

Of course the best solution if you're concerned about looks is to wear a waist harness.

...Or, if you truly don't give a sh*t, just wear the seat harness with speedos.

Twisted Evil

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a waist harness but same thing applies, Eddie Bauer makes good water rafting type shorts with all pockets having drains. Looks like this years are longer though.....and no i do not work for the company. But there is a guy selling wigs on here....

[/url]
haterrater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just go nude. babies don't wear anything under their diapers....
sorry, I just couldn't resist.
chaphal3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haterrater, you make a very good point.

I think the main problem is that most boardshorts or swim trunks have a low crotch. Shorts with a higher crotch and longer inseam would probably work better.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaphal3 wrote:
Haterrater, you make a very good point.

I think the main problem is that most boardshorts or swim trunks have a low crotch. Shorts with a higher crotch and longer inseam would probably work better.

As strange as this sounds, try wearing some lycra "tighty" shorts under your board shorts. For some reason, the slippery lycra keeps the shorts from riding up and bunching.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided years ago, after much experimenting in Maui that what works for me is a wetsuit short bottom and then put the harness over it with a rashguard shirt above. This takes all the chafing away and is comfortable for hours of sailing. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: