myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in Bermuda?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanaticultrahawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: windsurfing in Bermuda? Reply with quote

I am going to Bermuda in end of June.

what is the windsurfing like there?

Any recomondations or places to rent decent equipment?

thanks!
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to blow out there very well in the Spring, but starts to mellow out in Summer.

iWindsurf Bermuda:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2076&is_beta=true

The iW Wind archives are helpful:

Melrose, Bermuda: Entire Month of May 2008:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?location_id=17860&archiveMonth=5&archiveYear=2008&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=2075

June 2008:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?location_id=17860&archiveMonth=6&archiveYear=2008&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=2075
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of excellent windsurfing spots in Bermuda........Shelley Bay, Elbow Beach, Somerset Long Bay, Harrington Sound, Castle Harbor, Ferry Reach, Spanish Point.............all depends on the wind direction. Wind blows a lot, but only with fronts. I don't think there is anywhere to rent gear but I will PM you a few names of windsurfers you can call when you get there.........they will know.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe is right.

lots of great places to sail, but no rental gear - at least not anything that you would want to use.

there is a lot of private gear at the Spanish Point Boat Club...

you could bring your own gear, but because there are no car rentals on Bermuda, you would need to stay at a place with a launch. my feeling is that june is not reliably windy enough to justify the hassle - unless you are going for a long time.

if you are only going for a few days, it'll be easy to occupy your time just exploring the island by scooter.

there are a number of places that do small boat rentals - kayaks, motorboats, and maybe some sailboats, and this may be the best way to satisfy your urge to get out on the water. snorkeling is not bad in bermuda.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Bermuda right now. Love the place so far!
It's been windy everyday. I'm hoping to get a 2hr session anywhere, I have my suit and harness. I'll try to get in touch with Glenn who is supposed to be the person to contact here.
Anyone has any more tips for renting.
Tomorrow is supposed to be good but it's the 26th and is a holiday here.
glenherman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: bermuda windsurfing Reply with quote

As jfeehan said, there are no car rentals in Bermuda. No taxi will accept your gear for transport, even on the roof. If you bring your own equiptment, you will need a private car to bring it your hotel. That will be the only place where you could launch. (unless your car person is willing to take you elsewhere and return with your wet gear) You will also need the same person to return you to the airport.
Bermuda is mostly slalom sailing in flat water. Rental windsurfing gear at the small sailboat rental places will be ancient and in terrible condition.
I was there and tried hard but couldn't find any wher.
Maybe this Glen person will be able to help.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn got back to me, "Rental rates are $50/half hour with a min of 1.5hr."
Better be good!

Long bay in Somerset seems to be the place for northern winds. I've seen many potential launch sites but would have to know what lies near the surface, lots of reefs.

Elbow beach has kite surfers, they seem to go between the shore and the reef which isn't that far at all. The chop is a little crazy, the swell gets tamed down quite a bit by the reef.

I took videos with my go pro. The scenery is amazing.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't able to get rides in the end.

The reefs which surround the archipelago kill the waves and create a chop that looks like would beat you up. Also, I don't think it's safe to go beyond the reefs as they are too close to the surface. Waves were breaking pretty hard on them. The distance between the shore are reefs is quite small (1000 feet max).

The transportation system is very slow as Bermuda is long and narrow (speed limit is 20mph everywhere). So it can be difficult to reach a spot from one side of the islands to the other.

South shore of Elbow Beach offers the longest reaches on South days. Horseshoe is quite small. Shelly bay looked good but small as well unless one can get further out of the bay.

There were lots of seaweeds piled up on some of the beaches.

The best setup looks to be long bay in Somerset on the NW, it's one ferry ride away from Hamilton + a taxi ride ($$$) or scooters can be taken on the ferry. When northern winds blow in, it makes for great long rides (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJuMiYtCa9A).

Also the harbors looked ride-able. Glenn was willing to meet me somewhere, that would definitely help. I'm sure there are many other spots (not necessarily beaches) where one could launch but one would have to know what lies beneath sort of thing...

So this is what I found out after spending a week there. I'm sure locals will have more knowledge. I am somewhat disappointed that I couldn't get rides but for $200 for 2hrs I was looking for some really nice conditions.

One great thing about the islands is that it seems to be very windy and last the whole day. I'm not used to that so much riding inland Smile

Will post a video later of Elbow beach and such.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbow beach by SW filmed with my gopro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwZyU8ff3M
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience many years ago. Still had fun with mask and snorkle mopedeed(word?) all over and caught a few rides on sail boats. Bm is a really beautiful place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: