myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Knee replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrommet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Knee replacement Reply with quote

Anyone out there have any info re:ability to windsurf after total knee replacement surgery?
goltz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: RE: Knee replacement Reply with quote

Two issues:

1)could you windsurf? You need to obtain enough knee flexion (bend) to waterstart. The newest total knees have enough flexion, but it is up to you to work on the rehab after surgery to realize that range of motion.

2) should you windsurf? A total knee is a mechanical device and you can wear it out. Big chop is a bad idea, smooth rollers are OK, little hops are OK, huge air with flat landings a very bad idea.

How do I know? I am an orthopedic surgeon and do knee replacements.

Dave
oldgrommet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Dave...more info? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dave. Im an MD (GU)too, had a major ski accident in 1989 (bilat pilon fractures, transverse fracture of patella and detachment of quadriceps tendon). Actually, the ankles have done well, but the knee has started to wear down the tibial plateau and Ive had bone necrosis on the MRI.

I took up water sports afterward, and started surfing in 1990. Because of lots of good wind but crappy surf days, I started kiteboarding and windsurfing in 2001, and have become quite proficient in both. I had taken up snowboarding about 3 years after the accident, but gave it up in 2002, because the loading on the knee seemed cause more pain, etc. each year, and I thought I needed to plan for the long term. This year, the same thing happened, and I started to get the feeling that the edging with kiting again caused too much load by the patella on the knee, so Ive put a hold on kiting for the remainder of the season. I always ice for an hour after windsurfing, bicycling, etc., and that has kept the knee pain/arthritis stable for the past 3 years till this year, when it seemed to have advanced a bit.

Im only 50, so I think a knee replacement is inevitable at some point, and Im kind of wondering what the future looks like.

I get about 80 to 100 days (Maui), and Id like to keep that going as long as I can. Unfortunately, none of the ortopedists I know windsurf, so Ive been trying to get some info from either someone who has had a KR and still windsurfs, or someone like yourself. If a KR is going to kill windsurfing for me, I will absolutely do whatever is necessary to delay that for as long as possible.

Thanks for any further input or guidance where to get more info.
oldgrommet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Thanks Dave...more info? Reply with quote

BTW Dave, check your inbox.

Thanks,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: