myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Margarita information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Margarita information Reply with quote

My daughter and I want to travel to Margarita to windsurf. Will we have any problem with the general overall safety. I am concerned with being women traveling alone and being Americans as well. Where is a safe place to stay near windsurfing rentals - I dont really want to rent a car...Thanks
compstyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: RE: Margarita information Reply with quote

Its a safe place. I was there last year and my girl friend was there 2 years ago, and everything was fine, I think it is a really safe place to go to. By the way Iam going again in 5 days Smile
Have fun on your trip..
hildebra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita information Reply with quote

Whats the best way to fly down there from US? Do you have to overnight in Caracas or can you fly directly? Thanks.
karlvelaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Getting to Margarita Reply with quote

Hi Simone,

Unless you live in Canada , Central or South America, or parts of Europe, you will not be able to fly direct to Porlamar (PMV). You will need to find a flight to Caracas (CCS) and try to make it fit a schedule with same-day connections to avoid an overnight near the airport.

To avoid an need to stay overnight in Caracas on the way there, try to schedule a flight to arrive into CCS no later than 17:00, since the
latest connection is at 20:00.

On the way home, try to arrange a departure from CCS after 12:00, as the earliest departure is at 07:30 (Monday - Friday there is a fairly reliable 06:30 PMV-CCS departure).

If you must overnight, Vela Windsurf Resorts offers an Air-Hotel Transfer service, where a staff of Vela provides roundtrip ground transfers to and from
a local hotel within a short driving distance from the airport, make a reservation in a standard hotel room for
the night, and help you with your connections at the airport.

If your connections are good, Vela can also send someone to meet you at the CCS airport to help get through the hectic airport and onto your next flight safely.

They have a beachfront hotel with a fully updated windsurf center downstairs: it doesnt get much more convenient than that. having sailed there once, I will return again for certain! Smile

Enjoy your trip!
mr_hyphen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting to Margarita Reply with quote

Dont discount flying north to get a civilized direct flight to Margarita. I am going next month on a direct flight from Ottawa and this is my itinerary:

09/01/06 Zoom Airlines 178 Y 08:45 Ottawa Margarita 15:05

23/01/2006 Zoom Airlines 179 Y 16:50 Margarita Ottawa 21:35

All depends on where you live as to whether this might work for you.

And yes, I will be using Vela for my accomodation and equipment.

Dave
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: RE: Margarita information Reply with quote

Margarita is pretty safe, before living here I used to travel down here on a regular basis by myself. (me being a middle-aged woman) E-mail me on this site if you want more info, my husband and I live here during the windy season and can answer most questions. Plus we have flown here from the west coast, the east coast and the southern US, so I can give you some info on the best way/flights to get here. Come on down!! Lois
caribwnd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: RE: Getting to Margarita Reply with quote

Simone,
I live in Margarita and will tell you it is perfectly safe for a woman and daughter and there are hotels and guesthouses located very close to beach and windsurfing schools. If you must schedule a stopover enroute to Margarita try to overnight in the U.S. if you have no Spanish skills you can use the following contact to help you with airport-hotel-airport transfers. This person is Swiss national and is freindly and dependable his info is:

Hanspeter Zingg
peterzingg@telcel.net.ve

Also-if you are on east coast (N.Y.) or there abouts you may consider flying to Montreal or Toronto for a direct flight to Margarita island via AIRTRANSAT charter. Or write to Lasbrisas she and her husband have extensive U.S.-Margarita travel experience.
If you need nice, inexpensive, American run lodgings while here see our ad in the classifieds here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: