myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When on a lengthy road trip to a destination (e.g., driving the 1300 miles to Hood River ... more if passing through San Francisco ... from Albuquerque 6 times one summer, driving to Corpus or Florida, driving to Nova Scotia repeatedly from upstate New York), my gas stops consisted of skidding to a halt, gripping the gas nozzle tightly to maximize its flow rate, jumping back in and hauling ass 'til the gauge was shouting "STOP! STOP!" again, and repeating until a) I encountered wind on water, b) I reached a site of interest short of my destination, or c) I arrived. I or we would commonly cover thousands of miles in a one-week/9-day vacation because it was that far, driving was fun then, there are always fun things to see and do on the way, and there's usually wind on the way there. Flying misses all that.

Many of our trips were into the Utah and Arizona back country in a decked-out 4X4 with two large internal gas tanks and four 5-gallon jerry cans of gas strapped across the back (no one tailgated us). We'd travel for days without seeing even one man-made structure, often submerging those (obviously well-sealed) internal tanks (once my butt) in river crossings.

Those great trips would have been and still are impossible with an electric vehicle. Hell, just driving to sail or to a swap meet in Hood River would be impractical, inefficient, maybe even impossible in a van full of gear without wasting hours at a charging station. I get that many people spend most of their lives within 50 miles of home, surrounded by charging stations and their home port. Fine; go electric and the hell with the pollution and Chinese sourcing of your batteries. But for the rest of us, the ideological greenies can shove their misled AGWA mandates where solar power don't work. Maybe some day we can function fully on nuclear fusion, wind, sunshine, political gasbags, Chinese batteries, hydropower, etc., but mandating them before the technology is mature is insane.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, talking points. Truth and analysis be damned.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I, like you, feel some of the goals are a bit too high & unrealistic. However, unlike some I don’t think we should just blow off renewables & let our asses get kicked.

Since there is no wind...........who is suggesting that we "just blow off renewables"? BTW, for your edification, the oil and gas industry does not receive subsidies, despite the efforts of many to characterize business deductions as such.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
I, like you, feel some of the goals are a bit too high & unrealistic. However, unlike some I don’t think we should just blow off renewables & let our asses get kicked.

Since there is no wind...........who is suggesting that we "just blow off renewables"? BTW, for your edification, the oil and gas industry does not receive subsidies, despite the efforts of many to characterize business deductions as such.

Must be your oldtimers kicking in, or perhaps you are trying to lie again. I have no idea where you are getting subsidies from my post?

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preparing to lie again. From Yale. One click.

Quote:
Fossil Fuels Received $5.9 Trillion In Subsidies in 2020, Report Finds. Coal, oil, and natural gas received $5.9 trillion in subsidies in 2020 — or roughly $11 million every minute — according to a new analysis from the International Monetary Fund. Explicit subsidies accounted for only 8 percent of the total.Oct 6, 2021
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Must be your oldtimers kicking in, or perhaps you are trying to lie again. I have no idea where you are getting subsidies from my post?
Coachg

Still unable to have a civil discussion? Let me try again. Who is suggesting that we "just blow off renewables".

The reference to subsidies was for your education, so that you won't be mislead by others here.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
Coachg

Still unable to have a civil discussion? Let me try again. Who is suggesting that we "just blow off renewables".

The reference to subsidies was for your education, so that you won't be mislead by others here.

Was the word you were looking for “misled”? As in what you do with almost every post?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!

I posted some facts. It seems to me that he who is blathering on and on about subsidies, and the evils of the oil and gas industries is unable to see the wood for the trees!

It seems to me that the world is currently facing a dangerous and probably very severe economic downturn, and future. The demand for power is insatiable and ever growing. Our economies and way of life depend on that point being met.

No way, in a mere 8 years time will our countries blind leap into an all electric transport society be feasible without a massive new building program of power stations. What those power stations must be for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year is guaranteed reliable. Only one source meets that demand, NUCLEAR! All else (windmills etc) is just a useful but non fully reliable aid.

There is also a blindingly obvious problem with all electric cars. Every household will need an overnight plug in charger. Nobody has yet explained how this will work in towns and cities with terraced type housing where cars are parked overnight outside, on the streets. (Cables across every pavement, great fun for the local teen gangs pulling them all out or cutting them. And the legal profession will bring countless claims of people tripping over them.)

Welcome to the future!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Who is suggesting that we "just blow off renewables"

Many conservatives; especially in Texas. They tried lamely to blame last years electric grid failure on wind production. You can be pro oil, but to try to lie or misrepresent renewables is, well, that's Fox news; professional liars.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--I think we will have fossil fuels for another 40 or more years. What I have commented upon, is that those who went ballistic over Solyndra have been silent about the subsidies to oil and gas and nuclear.

Above and beyond that, the oil and gas industry has been nearly as dishonest about their impacts--and their subsidies--as the tobacco industry. They even hired some of the same "scientists."

Techno started this particular thread--without any understanding of the nuclear industry writ large--or the particular facts about Diablo Canyon. Or, apparently, any interest in developing any understanding.

Iso's argument is typical of the vacuity of the right. If electric vehicles aren't perfect, well the whole deal is off. I learned in my 40's not to let perfect be the enemy of good.

Gybe's industry has fought the development of alternative power sources for about fifty years--while the science of global warming is over a hundred years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 181 of 205

Jump to: