myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
scam alert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Has anyone received a purchase request from WoodyDotson5565? There are a couple of Woody Dotsons on Google and Facebook, but they are highly likely to be born and bred 'Muricans.

This one sounds stilted and the grammar and punctuation don't ring true. Fake cashier's checks are common, and can take over a week to bounce.

Thank you for your quick reply!
I am very ok with your final price. [It was posted in my ad.]
Since I am presently on a brief business trip, I will Instruct my representative [Ooh!] to issue a cashier's check for you which will get delivered to your post [my "post"?] within 2-3 business days via USPS priority mail. I'll add an extra $90 to hold & keep it for me [yet he was worried about my final price?].
Immediately you received and cashed [that ain't 'Murican English, and Google's Woody Dotsons seem very American*] the check, then I will send a pick up guy for pick-up [Seriously? Shipping would cost only about $30, and these Woody Dotsons are all clear across the country.]

I will need your following information below where the check would be received by you:-

First Name:-
Last Name:-
Street Address:-
City:-
State:-
Zip code:-
Phone Number: Mobile & Landline

[NOBODY gets my cell #, and of what use is it to him?]

* That's not racist, mac; it's self preservation.

I've got them too. I was tempted to mess with him, but just deleted the email.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can gmail do anything - like LOCK the f'n user ??

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse?hl=en

PLEASE try to report these bastardos to gmail so that others donut get duped

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me that since the majority of the buyers and sellers in the classified section are scammers, they must be having a grand time trying to scam each other. I wish we could see the emails back and forth between Woody and the scam sellers. Smile Laughing Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm quite sure I've got a scammer on the the line, I'll ignore them. If in doubt, I'll ask them some questions about windsurfing in general and about their windsurfing.

Woody rapidly disappeared.

But as for platforms or iW deleting their posts or booting them off the forum altogether, good luck with that. It has happened, but it's very rare.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either there are really good waves in Kansas (or some of those other spots not known for big winds) or some of those wave boards in Kansas et al are posted by scammers

77463770-EFD8-4959-9576-8F990609E693.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  703.52 KB
 Viewed:  64457 Time(s)

77463770-EFD8-4959-9576-8F990609E693.png

leto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been to iwindsurf for 2/3 months and God. any board of your choice is here now and wave boards from locations like Arkansas, Kentucky aka places with open beaches everywhere.. I thought that maybe people from SF do remote and moved to cheaper places and cannot windsurf now.

So seemed very weird considering good used stuff is hard to come by. You go to foil boards section and man... any board of your choice is there..

What can I say. Horrible that it started happening here where people used to trust each other and just send money to family/friends.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree strongly with your sentiment, but also want to point out that there's some serious carving available in the heartland. In New Mexico, for example, I've sailed in overhead swell and seen 10 foot swell from the vantage of a big State Park Boston Whaler. I don't know how big the swell gets in Kansas, but it gets some serious, steady, prolonged wind. After I found out how much fun wave boards are in the Gorge, I pretty much sailed nothing but wave boards, mostly sinkers, in the heartland. Location may not be a good criterion for identifying con men.

Back on topic, "Woody Dotson" never responded to my simple questions, intended as initial screening. It apparently doesn't take much imagination to weed them out.
oozitron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted "Obed Frank" about the Cube 98 in the wave boards and it quickly became clear that he's a scammer. He answers no questions about the sport, and only wants to know how I'm going to pay. I couldn't help but have a little fun with his time:

obedfrank84@gmail.com wrote:
Hello, the board is available for sale in very good condition there's no repair or damage, what is your address for the shipping?

oozitron wrote:
I'm in the midwest (ZIP 46795) and sail in the Great Lakes a lot.
Can I ask a couple more questions?
1) What do you weigh and what sail range did you find worked with it?
2) Where did you sail (I've been to Boise, no waves!)
thanks!
Andrew

What is your preferred payment method?

oozitron wrote:
Actually a friend that lives out there said he would come by and pick it up and give you cash. What day this week would be good?

(no response)

oozitron wrote:
How about a direct wire transfer of the money? Send me your bank's routing number and your account number.

obedfrank84@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't used direct transfer but I have Zelle so let me know if you have thanks .

Send to my son’s bank account and provide me the receipt .
Name: Andrew Macker
For direct deposit:
Acct #: //////
Routing: ///////
Wires: //////
Bank of America

oozitron wrote:
Why is your son's last name different than yours?

He was named by own friend's last name after I gave birth to him thanks .

oozitron wrote:
You gave birth? What part of your body did the baby come out of?

He's my son.

oozitron wrote:
How old is he?

32 years old

oozitron wrote:
Why do you want the money sent to him?

Because you want to do a direct transfer and he's the only person I can get to receive it for me thank you.

oozitron wrote:
Maybe paypal... that way the money can be traced in case the board is not in the condition you claimed.

The board is in very good condition as I already told you.

oozitron wrote:
How about if you send the board to *my* son. After *my* son makes sure the board is in very good condition, I will send the money to your son. Then when your son has received the money he can tell my son to give me the board.

No problem, I am very okay with that because I know the board is in very good condition and you will like it.

oozitron wrote:
Great! Send me the tracking number as soon as you have shipped the board.

Why do you want me to ship before payment?

oozitron wrote:
I suggested "How about if you send the board to my son. After my son makes sure the board is in very good condition, I will send the money to your son. Then when your son has received the money he can tell my son to give me the board."
and you replied "No problem, I am very okay with that because I know the board is in very good condition and you will like it."
So now you are changing your mind?

<obedfrank84@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you send the money so that I can proceed with the shipping this morning?

oozitron wrote:
Why did you not respond when I had a person who would pick up the board and give you cash?
Do you actually live in Boise?
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oozitron wrote:

Hello, the board is available for sale in very good condition there's no repair or damage, what is your address for the shipping?

I just got that same response about a different board posted by a supposedly different user - what are the odds?
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell isn't I windsurf or the Federal agents tracking this guy down and slamming him up against a wall. Wire charge fraud.

Hey IWINDSURF people are you doing anything? any responsibility or just nah dont care your problem! Our platform, our servers, our system your problem!

Bunch of BS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: