myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for drone videos of windsurfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Tips for drone videos of windsurfing? Reply with quote

I've got a Mavic Pro drone. I'm having a lot of fun with it flying around the farm and taking videos. I'd like to video my sailing buddies on the lake while I'm on the disabled list after rotator cuff surgery. Can anyone provide some tips on using a drone for windsurfing videos? Height, distance, use of tracking features, max wind, etc? I'm sure to be a bit nervous flying over water for the first time!

Thanks
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip would be make sure it floats before you fly out over open water. ;*)

-Craig
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would watch some YouTube videos to see how the Pro's do it. Maybe get the goggles with head tilt camera control if you want to shoot others. Don't overfly anyone and if you want to carry the controller the follow me should work good.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start in onshore or sideshore wind, and keep the drone upwind of you. The "return home automatically" feature is all great, but if the drone has to fly back against the wind, it will drain the battery much faster and may not make it.

Consider getting LED flashers for the drone to make it easier to locate it. I was amazed how difficult it is to find the drone again once you loose sight of it, even if it's just 1000 feet away.

Since we like to windsurf when it's sunny, it can be quite difficult to make out anything on a phone screen on shore. I've seen pros use tablets and enclosures that block out the sun, but goggles may work as well. Without, it can be a bit difficult for a beginner to get good footage - the windsurf footage I got (check https://youtu.be/mGhixVSdv_I) was usually from quite far away. But I just had a Spark, which has lower top speed and shorter battery life.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same drone & have flown it over the water many times. Just use common sense & be aware of wind direction as noted. To overcome stronger winds I drop my drone down to a couple of feet above the water when returning to fly in lighter winds. I had no problems overcoming 22 mph winds flying down near the deck. It also makes for some neat footage.

Use the tracking feature on your drone. It is extremely difficult to both fly & operate the camera at the same time. Best to let the drone fly & track while you operate the camera. When using the tracking feature you are limited to speeds around 18 mph so expect only to video in light winds.

In higher winds consider using your drone as a floating platform out on the water rather than trying to follow. Strategically position your drone to get good shots.

Adjust your gimble settings so it starts/stops/raised/lowers slowly & smoothly. Otherwise you get fast, jerky footage.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: