myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing sail is reality now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a testimonial from some world-class expert might help, non-pro independent testimonials may count even more in the minds of non-pro buyers. When I was a tester, test director, and often sole writer for a magazine that did nothing BUT test WSing gear, sailors from multiple continents would walk into the Hood River Sail World shop, point to items in our magazine, and tell Jim Ballantyne "I want this board, and two of these sails, one of these fins, one of these wetsuits, etc." We had some pros in our tester ranks (they weren't allowed to test any gear from their sponsors), but most testers were just guys and gals who could sail in Gorge conditions. Many could not chop hop, plane through a jibe, or point upwind for crap. We and our readers wanted reviews biased towards real world sailors like themselves, not towards folks from another planet who could loop a barn door and win World Cup races on a Starboard Go.

I do have a question about the video. It looks like kilogramm's booms are at near waist level, as his arms appear to slope down from his shoulders to the boom under sail. SURELY that's some optical distortion?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, Here!

And there is at least some video evidence that I can, in fact, jibe ;*)

But.......... I'm about to trade for my sticks (I'm back in Utah), so next
Spring will be the call.

-Craig

p.s. Thanks for the props Westender!

westender wrote:
Until you send a sail to Craig we can only take the word of someone who can't gibe.
killogramm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
While a testimonial from some world-class expert might help, non-pro independent testimonials may count even more in the minds of non-pro buyers. When I was a tester, test director, and often sole writer for a magazine that did nothing BUT test WSing gear, sailors from multiple continents would walk into the Hood River Sail World shop, point to items in our magazine, and tell Jim Ballantyne "I want this board, and two of these sails, one of these fins, one of these wetsuits, etc." We had some pros in our tester ranks (they weren't allowed to test any gear from their sponsors), but most testers were just guys and gals who could sail in Gorge conditions. Many could not chop hop, plane through a jibe, or point upwind for crap. We and our readers wanted reviews biased towards real world sailors like themselves, not towards folks from another planet who could loop a barn door and win World Cup races on a Starboard Go.

I do have a question about the video. It looks like kilogramm's booms are at near waist level, as his arms appear to slope down from his shoulders to the boom under sail. SURELY that's some optical distortion?
This is exactly what I mean, testing with pro , ... because of the sponsorship review will be not honest. I'm in contact with some pros, and all they say , my sponsor my sponsor. Real people testimonies coming soon, on my web. About boom. I built sail using dimensions from slalom 6.5. Sail has boom adjustment sleeve 11 inches long. It is 2 inches smaller because I determine that 11 inches is more than enough. Smaller hole is better for aerodynamics.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KG get a GPS and record some tracks. When the data drops the BS stops! Until then it's all an elaborate scam to get some sails sold by bashing race gear that companies have developed over many years with the best sailors and is state of the art. When you can truly prove, with hard facts, that your sails are faster then people may believe what you write.
killogramm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedRoo wrote:
Hey KG get a GPS and record some tracks. When the data drops the BS stops! Until then it's all an elaborate scam to get some sails sold by bashing race gear that companies have developed over many years with the best sailors and is state of the art. When you can truly prove, with hard facts, that your sails are faster then people may believe what you write.
I agree, but , sail will go as fast as board go, and it is really depend on the height of the chop. So in order prove this way I should travel in speedy spot flat water etc. And what do I prove ? I may be take another 5.8 and compare with another 5.8 on the water, record video of it and post GPS data . Yeah. My sail easy outperform any equal size traditional. I might go to Bonaire and do just that. But this is few month away. Besides I can rent 5.8 traditional there, I donated all my traditional sails to windsurfing school so I have none.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilo, there should some GPS speed guys around you. I'm sure they'd be happy to give your sail a go. I like Roo's idea. Kilo sounding like he's afraid to document performance.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said when the data drops the BS stops. Until then keep spreading it KG. If you are going to make outrageous claims that your sail is faster than any equally sized race sail on the water you better be able to back it up! Chop and board make no difference. Put your sail on the same board/fin combo as the race sail you test against at the same location and record the gps data for both. Get some other local sailors to test it for you to increase your sample size. No need to travel or are you just making excuses now and having doubts.
alap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Q isobars asked is not about the boom cutout length, but about the height of this cutout.

It certainly looks much lower than on conventional sails. And on your FB
page their is a pic. as of Sep 12, you standing by your sail. And this cutout looks low (and yes short too)
killogramm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
the Q isobars asked is not about the boom cutout length, but about the height of this cutout.

It certainly looks much lower than on conventional sails. And on your FB
page their is a pic. as of Sep 12, you standing by your sail. And this cutout looks low (and yes short too)
Location of cut out is same as conventional sail, it looks low because of hi aspect ratio makes sail look really tall. And shot made from Hi point. and there is a mast foot missing etc. I can take picture against conventional rig. no problem. Just for comparison https://www.facebook.com/augustoluizferreiraandrade.andrade/videos/1459073680880431/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

No, my question is based on the fact that his arms appear to slope downward, relative to the horizon, to his booms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 14 of 25

Jump to: