myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish or RRD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 1:35 am    Post subject: RE: Naish or RRD? Reply with quote

I have to admit I am biased to Naish, HOWEVER
the Naish 85 wave is very very good. I just bought one not too long ago, and I feel so at home on it. I feel like Robby, haha.

Anyway, the board gets rave reviews from all the wave riders I know, and its also a great BnJ board.

I really like this board.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 4:06 am    Post subject: RE: Naish or RRD? Reply with quote

I meant to add specifics.

The board feels great all over. Its turny and handles smoothy to my commands, the rails dont try to dump me, and I make a lot more jibes.

The board is pretty fast, but its a wave board so dont expect too much.

The thing I like most, ist that even though its an 85, it feels floaty when slogging, yet isnt when cranking turns.

I feel totally in control with my jumps, it is very light, and controllable in the air, launching off chop/waves easily.

As for durability, I have seen them in Naish rentals for over a year, and the board has seen minor damage. Since it is a super light wave board, it doesnt like reef / boom hits too well. But the damage is minor and easily fixed. The best have looped and jumped the hell out these and I havent seen any break in half. So its tough.

the stock fin is good, and gets on a plane easy.

I ride it wave or BnJ and its the best riding board I have ever owned, biased or not.
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 8:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Naish or RRD? Reply with quote

I too have a Naish 85 wave board. Ive just had it out in its element a couple of times. Its element is when the wind is at 18+ at my skill level and weight (intermediate/ 155 lbs). Im waiting for some waves this summer but am confident that itll excel there as well as bump and jump. It defenitely reacts quickly to foot commands. Ive heard good things about the RRD but I have no firsthand experience. The Naish is a good one. Good luck.
billwest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 8:50 am    Post subject: RE: Naish or RRD? Reply with quote

The only thing I will add, and I noticed this when I rented the naish on maui, was that it has a hell of a turned up nose (duh, for waves I know). However, if youre not using this board for down the line wave riding, then this has the disadvantage of beating the heck out of sails and masts whenever you go over the top or even just let go of your rig forward.
The 86 freeride has a lot less of this nose rocker and may be better for B&J only.
Both boards are a blast to sail.
erikr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 5:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Naish or RRD? Reply with quote

I sailed the RRD cult 50 in Maui a few months ago and didnt like it. Slow and spinny. I was in some what overpowered 5.2 conditions and it was just a handful. It turned Ok but then again its supposed to. It just spun too much. Part of this is of course fin related. I might have had a better experience with a 1/2 inch longer fin. I havent road the Naish 85 but I have a Naish 811 that is awesome. I have a friend that is on an older 86 that he loves. If you havent considered the HiTech 85, you should. This is a much nicer board than the RRD. Tracks much better, planes just as well, jibes better, and is better behaved when overpowered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: