myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ninigret pond sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: ninigret pond sensor Reply with quote

How accurate is the ninigret pond sensor? I am thinking about giving that spot a shot one of these days but it seems that the wind there is always less than the forecasts are predicting. Also, how is the parking there? Any insider tips on sailing this spot is appreciated since I've never been. I assume its only good on a S/SE?
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found the sensor as accurate as rigging advice compared to any of the other sensors. the best direction is ENE where the fetch is down the length of the pond and sailing is beam across the width. with mostly standup depth in the west end, it can be a safe early/late season alternative to open water in a nor'easter. the parking and launch are in the SW corner of the pond at the end( 2WD anyway) of east beach road. any of the southerlys are off shore from the launch so have to get in the middle of the water before clean wind. NW and NNW are also sailable directions, if a bit gusty over land. there is no sailing access from the ninigret wildlife preserve(site of an old navy airstation with runways still in place) if that what you were thinking about the S/SE exposure. parking is dirt, rigging is dead grass. parking shared for soundside beachgoers, so fills up quick in summer. don't know the current fee.
gschuel1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninigret works in any wind direction, but there are nearby launches that provide stronger wind in any kind of west direction. For any kind of wind with an easterly component Ninigret provides wind strength and quality as good as any launch within 100 miles. I've sailed 3 foot rolling swell there during a good NorEaster.

Fees are a bit steep, but they stop charging @ 4PM in the summer and after Labor Day.

http://www.riparks.com/PDFFiles/User%20Fees%20at%20State%20Beaches%20Parks%20and%20Recreation%20Areas.pdf

On summer weekends the parking lot fills up by 10AM as there are only ~100 parking spaces.

Ninigret is user friendly and great for beginners as the bottom is beautiful soft sand with waist to chest deep water in the west part of the pond and along the south shoreline. No swimming after a fall, just stand up. It can be a PITA if you have a long slalom/race fin but it's deep out in the middle of the pond if you need clearance. This is a great "safe" winter sailing site. No weeds and very clean/clear water that is 80+ degrees this time of year.

There's a good chance you won't be sailing alone at Ninigret. A good mix of sailors ranging from beginners to experts (especially Formula/Slalom).
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be good in a southwest wind, which is slightly side off from the launching area. Fees have gotten expensive, $20.00 weekdays, $28.00 weekends for non residents.
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you move? Skip the pond and sail Matunuk.....Sweet break that lines up like the north shore of PR when the forecast is wsw to wnw
edoremus337

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff guys, thanks for the info/tips. I went down there on Monday after work in hopes to catch some of the wind but it died as soon as I got there. Looks like a pretty cramped rigging area but doable. I cant believe about the 28$ parking fee...I'll find somewhere else to go over paying that.

ctwindsurf, I am living in RI now, no more warm tropical water for me :/ I have yet to sail Matunuk as well so I'll have to check that out soon.
pmlct

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For west, southerly and over to southeast wind check out Barn Island boat launch in Stonington, CT. It is better in spring and fall since there is very little wind in summer around here. It is quality bump and jump bay sailing when it is windy.

Also check out Wordens Pond near Matunack for northwest to northeast wind.
Those directions have a clean fetch down the pond and are not as gusty as other places, plus you can sail out into the middle much easier, compared to just sailing in a corner of Ninigret and breaking a fin like I did in the shallow water.

Ninigret rules in a strong east wind (as explained previously) since the wind and waves have the length of the pond for a fetch and you sail straight out across the middle. Other places are better for all the other directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: