myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need info: Naish 8 5 or RRD Cult55

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueblotn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Need info: Naish 8 5 or RRD Cult55 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any feedback about either of these boards?

Im thinking of buying a used board for Crissy Field/ Treasure Island conditions. Im currently on a Fanatic Bee 260, and Im looking for something that carves better and has more pop on jumps. Would either be suitable, and is the upwind performance good enough for an all around bump and jump board?

Im 150 pounds, and this will be my only board.

Thanks.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: RE: Need info: Naish 8 5 or RRD Cult55 Reply with quote

Hey Pueblo - The Naish is a true wave shape, great down the line, but not gonna offer much in the way of upwind ability or planing power, the RRD is a weird sort of hybrid, I havent heard alot of good things about them.

The best bump and jump boards in the mid 80s (liters) are the AHD Power Wave 257 (86L) and the AHD G-Ride 57 (84L) Go with the PowerWave for a wavier feel (more rocker, slower planing) and the G-Ride for a freestylier feel (faster planing, easier jumps).

In addition to being better suited to bay conditions, the AHDs are Swiss built, not Thai Cobra JUNK! Since youre buying used, (no warranty), build quality is critical. Check the classifieds, I think there are both G-Rides and PowerWaves listed.
jfinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Need info: Naish 8 5 or RRD Cult55 Reply with quote

I dont agree with pacspeed. Ive seen as many ahds as boards that come from the cobra factory (naish, rrd included) and it comes down to 1 thing: how much money goes into building the board. different companys tell cobra how to build a board, and they build it to that level. Ive seen plenty of naishes and rrds that look good after a few seasons.
I own a couple of rrd boards and I like em. I have a 73 liter wave cult (01/02 cult fifty) and it gets upwind really easily. Surprisingly quick to plane for its size, put a 5.0 on it fine with a stock wave fin. used in chrissy type conditions but only worse chop. it has thick rails up front that help with staying upwind, and a really thin tail to keep it from skipping out in the gybes. From what I hear, though, the wave one is a better board for what you want. little bit flatter rocker, and thinner rails. also, I own an 03 freestyle wave M and its the sweetest board ive owned in that size range. It is fast, grippy in a gybe and goes upwind fine. its also light. I also used to own a bee 260, which was a good board, but too jittery in heavy chop and maybe too fast, or at least not controllable. the gybe was also kind of bouncy. with the freestyle wave, I still feel fast, but I jump when I want to, not when the board wants to. hope this helps.
bruder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Need info: Naish 8 5 or RRD Cult55 Reply with quote

I had a 200 Naish 8.5
Its fast for a wave board, and has a lively ride. The only thing I didnt like is the pointed nose which poked dents in my sails. I never tried the RRD 255.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: