myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line / boom setup for a kid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Harness line / boom setup for a kid Reply with quote

Ive noticed my 12 year old sails a lot while sheeted out. Hes just getting into the straps, however Im worried that the combination of his height (little over 5), boom height and harness length are preventing him from being able to use his harness to sheet in all the way. It seems like if his harness hook is closer to the board than mine is, I need to lower the booms for him. We both use 22 harness lines, about 3 inches separation on the booms. Therefore, he doesnt get the same extension outboard as I would, having my harness hook further away, and having a higher boom position. If I use shorter harness lines for him, he has trouble hooking in.

Anybody tackled this problem in the past?

Steve
Windlover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Harness line / boom setup for a kid Reply with quote

When you say 22 lines, are you measuring the total length of the line? If you are measuring boom to hook length, they are probably too long for him. Another ? is, what type of harness is he using? Sounds like you need to make adjustments for his size & ability.

Optimum boom height for him should be chest to top of shoulders. A lower boom makes it easier to hook in. You may need to adjust his harness hook to ride a bit higher.

Most of us hook in as soon as we get power in the sail, then get into the straps and sheet in using the harness. If the harness line length ? #1 is yes, he may need to power up to a plane and get the sail raked back before trying to hook in.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: RE: Harness line / boom setup for a kid Reply with quote

Im speaking of 22 lines as sold in the shop. Thats measured end to end. Hes wearing a Dakine seat harness, hook pointing down.

But my question is really philosophical, I guess. A good analogy (for baseball fans) is Coors Field. The air is so thin, the ball goes an extra 50 feet on a long hit. That means they get tons of home runs. To fix that, they would have to extend the field 50 feet. But then the fielders could not do their job as they have more ground to cover. Therefore, Coors field is cursed and cannot be fixed.

Back to windsurfing. Is gear engineered for an average sailor of 58 and up, and if so, is a short sailor at a disadvantage? If the harness line radius (length from bottom of foot to harness hook) is say 6 shorter for a kid, and the booms are where they are supposed to be for him, i.e., maybe 6 lower than mine, when he leans out, in the straps, planing, will he have trouble sheeting in all the way and closing off the gap?

Today I watched him on my AHD 257 Power Wave and a Loft 4.5 sail. We were in 20 Mph winds. He was hooked in, both feet in the straps and planing, but the board was a little nose-up, and the sail was not sheeted in all the way. I asked him about it and he said he couldnt get it all the way in.

I think the next thing to try is even shorter harness lines, as he likes the booms where they are. But for now, Ill keep it this way until he is hooking in and getting in straps, both tacks in his sleep. Probably early next week Smile

Steve
Windlover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Harness line / boom setup for a kid Reply with quote

Could be a few things going on here. May be his lighter weight, experience, harness lines, and body postition. Try the shorter lines after trying these tips.

Hang from the harness a little more (hips low) once up on a plane. This will help rake the sail back just a bit and lower the boom. Lean out with his shoulders and upper body so that his arms are straight. Then, push out/away from the board with his legs to help sheet in the sail. This should power him up nicely and get the sail sheeted in. He may just not have the strength or weight to fully sheet the sail in. If he is able to plane quickly with a 4.5, try going to a 4.0. With his lighter weight he should be able to get through the lulls okay even on a .5 size smaller sail.

As for the nose up syndrome, the mast could maybe go forward just a bit to weight the nose of the board. When the sail and board are rigged at the beach(sail laying downwind, clew to tail), position the sail so the clew is touching the board. The position of the harness lines should be inline with just between the footstraps. Adjust the mast postition accordingly to achieve this. Then when he is in the straps and planning, his body, harness, sail are correct postion for fully sheeting/planning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: