myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new to LA ! (in fact new to CA or USA :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akift

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: new to LA ! (in fact new to CA or USA :) Reply with quote

Hi, beginning from this August I will be in LA for 2 years for my master degree. (USC-Comp.Sci.)

I am from Turkey and I have been windsurfing for only 5 months and i am really addicted to it. I dont want to be apart from windsurfing when I moved in. (I hope i can handle my courses:)

In turkey i was using an old mistral shredder 2.98-128L and 5.7 m sail.I can get into straps, hook in and out easily, hardly waterstarting, and never tried to jibe:)

I need your advises about where should begin to windsurf first near LA, and should I try to buy my own board&rig at first or should I join to a club or smtg like that where I can rent board and stuff.

I dont think I can handle the waves of ocean for now so should I try the lakes?

As a result,give me a roadmap to follow to improve my windsurfing capabilities.Thanks..

Akif,
jwallace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: RE: new to LA ! (in fact new to CA or USA :) Reply with quote

Hi Akif...

Im not sure if I should help a Trojan (Im a Bruin), but here it goes. Smile Ive recently moved back to LA after ten years in the Bay Area. I have found that the best place for wind is Cabrillo Beach. There are some smaller waves, but the wind is consistent. Its in San Pedro which is relatively close to USC (~20 minutes without traffic). Check out www.captainkirks.com. They are very nice folks there. Another place you may want to try for calmer waters and lighter conditions is Long Beach. If you are not on a short board and are fine on light winds (i.e., 12-15 kts), then this would be a good spot. You can sail short boards there, wind provided, its just not nearly as windy as Cabrillo. Also, I dont know them personnally, but Long Beach Windsurfing is a local outfit that you can check out for equipment. Also, if you want to progress, I HIGHLY recommend ABK windsurfing camps (www.abksports.com). I took three clinics in the Bay Area and my abilities really took a major jump with them. I believe they have a Long Beach camp in August.

Oh yeah... one more thing. If you sail in Long Beach (Belmont Shores), be sure to shuffle your feet on the sand when you enter the water. If it is calm, sting rays come in the shallow waters and can sting you. Youll spend the next two hours soaking your foot in hot water to kill the pain and toxin. I am still nursing a sting ray wound from last week.

Best!

jw

PS: Be sure to check out UCLA. You may want to transfer! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: