myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Sucks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaptekarev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

I’m frustrated with stupid windsufing. I’m frustrated because I can’t jibe and am so far from tacking it’s not funny. I feel like I’m making progress in every aspect of the sport that I want to make progress in, except for jibing. I can jump, even cut a bottom turn in small surf and feel like I improve those skills every time I go out. My jibes however, have been without improvement for some time. I try jibing every time I sail, try changing things, and still no luck. Shit what does it take? Lessons I guess. The video I have isn’t really helping. Is it possible to learn on your own in less then 5 years? I think this is the reason people don’t windsurf, it’s to difficult to learn.
Windlover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

You just have to hang in there. You didnt mention what video you are watching. Try Jibing with Alan Cadiz on Maui. Excellent instruction and video photography.

Also look at the past ?s on jibing in the How To section here. Lots of good ?s and answers.

You can also post a ? on the area where you have the most trouble. Try to pinpoint a specific problem that you are having (ie; sail switch, carving the board, switching the feet, hand placement, etc.) We can all help, but try to be specific with each ?.
fred1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

I was like you many years ago. Not able to jibe properly while I was jumping high, surfing well etc...One day, I decided to focus on the jibe only. I stopped jumping, cruising, surfing waves...I spent all my sessions jibing...At this point, he took me only 2 sessions to jibe properly...Now I do exactly the same when I want to improve an other move (willy skiper, forward, spock)...I focus all my session on this move...So, youre almost there...keep focus and enjoy our sport...
WSM
boozehound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

Sell all your gear and buy a kite, and a twin tip board. BAMMM!!! No more jibing. Just lots-o-fun!!!!
burtronix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

Im not usually this blunt, but:
Stop whining & take a lesson! Instructors have to eat too!

But really, Ive taken 3 lessons in 2 years, & its been worth every penny. If you get a qualified instructor appropriate for your level & the skills you are trying to learn, they should be able to diagnose your problem & help you fix it.
jsmin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

Not that I posted the original message, but DUDE! How did you know I had trouble pulling my foot out of the front strap? U must have like windsurf ESP.

JSmin
gemoore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

Some people, I think very few, seem to be able to just do it early on. But I think most people have a hard go of learning to maneuver a sailboard.

In ANY sport, there is absolutely no substitute for having a trained eye observe what you are doing. That objectivity is something that you CANNOT do for yourself, because you cant see yourself in action (videos help if someone will film you, but you still need a trained interpreter).

Think of it as coaching, and not instruction, and go get some lessons. Trust me, it will be worth more than all the money youve spent on your stuff. If people would only pay instructors that much, there would be a lot more windsurfers.
cgluck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

One word of advice:
Go to an ABK camp.
They will fix the problem in short order.

you will be stoked, and become a regular ABK customer.

It worked for me, and I was just like you.

In the meantime, try switching feet and sailing clue first for a few seconds before flipping the sail.

Good luck!
SurferDude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing Sucks Reply with quote

thats true, windsurfing is hard and very expensive.thats why not many people do it.its rewarding though, and you will feel relieved after every move you learn
a good video is windsurfin 101
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: