myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gorge with two goals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goltz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:09 am    Post subject: gorge with two goals Reply with quote

My wife and I and three other couples are spending 5 days in Hood river in August. The guys are all experienced sailors and looking for big air, the girls are all uphaulers almost ready to try water starting and short boards.

Would be nice to find a place where the guys could maybe tone it down to slalom boards for a day while the girls get challenged a little with slightly harder (but safe) conditions.

Any suggestions for spots to start looking?

Dave
gorgewinds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:47 pm    Post subject: RE: gorge with two goals Reply with quote

My best bet for that would be Rowena: Beginners and intermediates will find calmer, shallower water just east of the main launch in the cove on the Oregon side. It is a large area with knee to waist high water. Great for learning how to waterstart. But if you are looking for e beginner only area check out the hook

check out the link:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=121&geographicalAreaID=2&siteID=240&Isection=Local+Info
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:20 am    Post subject: RE: gorge with two goals Reply with quote

I agree with those two recommedations. The best part is - they require no compromise. The Hook is a couple of reaches away from the Hatchery, and Rowena is a couple of reaches away from Dougs. Just warn the novices not to venture into water over their heads; sound rough-water water starts are mandatory in the Columbia if theres ANY chance the wind can suddenly crank up ... and there is always that chance. The Hook has the least risk of that scenario, because a wind shadow will block the novices from the main channel, offering them complete safety and a way to walk back if they waner out too far, while you guys are obliviously rippin it up 200 meters away on your 4.5s.

Of course, that presumes wind. Realize the Gorge doesnt blow every day. Heck, its EASY to find 5-day doldrums even in a good year. Youre more likely to pick your sport -- air time water start time -- by the wind rather than by the location. i.e. on the calmer days, help the girls with their water starts, then when theyre tired and the wind picks up, go shred while they rest. The Gorge Guide will help immensely with site selection; pick one up anywhere in Hood River to supplement the iWindsurf link Gorgewinds provided.

Pay no attention to forecasts; August is very well-known for laughing at them. Ive seen countless August days blow 3.2 or 3.7 from dawn til dark when the noon forecast update agreed with the early AM forecast: Sorry, folks, no wind today.
Get out your golf clubs. You best, sometimes your ONLY useful, forecast is those two holes just below your forehead.

Mike \m/
goltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 12:55 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

By the way, does \m/ stand for your initial inside the gorge? Very clever. I guess my signature should be:

__/@__$__

That stands for very expensive gear about to be smashed by a big wave at Waddell Creek!

Dave
rasdpm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:51 pm    Post subject: good advice Reply with quote

as always isobars is right on, i agree totally. i would add that if you do catch the gorge during a 5 day lull, or if you want to experience another of Oregons great sailing spots, pile in the vehicles and pilgrim 51/2 hours south to the OR coast, camp or bed and brkfst at Floras Lake, a perfect learning spot close to awesome wave spots, as well as very good hiking/mtn bike trails.
goltz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: RE: good advice Reply with quote

Maybe well take the scenic, coastal route up from San Francisco...

Should we bring our sea kayaks if we do hit a lull?

Dave
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:23 pm    Post subject: RE: thanks! Reply with quote

Good guess, but its my emoticon for the Hawaiian shaka -- you know, a fist with thumb and pinkie extended.

Id have to guess your idea might translate more into something like SmS, or |m| in the good spots, or )m( in the BEST spots, or maybe /m/ on a GOOD day. How about ?m? when looking at too many forecasts, :m( when we get skunked, or :m)) after a great session?

Mike \m/

Mike \m/
gregnorquist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: RE: good advice Reply with quote

I definitely recommend Event Site. The experienced sailers can even sail up to the Hatch while the gals continue sailing at Event Site (about a 15 minute sail down river). Just tell the gals to watch out for the barges!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: RE: good advice Reply with quote

I dont agree that the Event Site is appropriate for people trying to learn waterstarts. How will they get back to Oregon if they cant waterstart in big (HUGE, to them) chop? They SURE arent going to uphaul out there. Heck, everybody would end up at the Hatchery, half by choice, half in panic-stricken tears and rage.

BTW ... definitely take the trip up the coast. Its the best and most accessible coastline in North America that I can think of, so beautiful and varied you wont even care whether you get any wind of even get to the Gorge. Almost.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: RE: good advice Reply with quote

I dont agree that the Event Site is appropriate for people trying to learn waterstarts. How will they get back to Oregon if they cant waterstart in big (HUGE, to them) chop? They SURE arent going to uphaul out there. Heck, everybody would end up at the Hatchery, half by choice, half in panic-stricken tears and rage.

BTW ... definitely take the trip up the coast. Its the best and most accessible coastline in North America that I can think of, so beautiful and varied you wont even care whether you get any wind of even get to the Gorge. Almost.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: