myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
baja car rental - La Ventana/Cabo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: baja car rental - La Ventana/Cabo Reply with quote

Hi all, I know you Baja veterans have lots of experience about which car rental operations are trustworthy in Los Cabos(SJD) for a trip to La Ventana. So far I have checked AVIS, MEX, & Cactus. Prices seem to vary wildly...

Had a buddy vouch for Cactus but they are pretty expensive... Any one used MEX or AVIS?
katiedog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not kept up on recent info. on rentals ,but you might try NWkiteforum also. There are a lot of Ventana people on that site who might have info . for you . I'm following this ..might try to get down there V early spring
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gorge_R and_D,

The prices advertised on the web often do not include the legally required Mexican insurance.

You will not need a car in La Ventana if you are staying in the zone between Pelican Reef resort to Baja Goes or even Wyatt and Tysons place. Lots of restaurants and food are within easy walking distance along the beach on road.

Instead just take a shuttle. Contact Samuel who has a fleet of large vans and they will pick you up at the SJD and deliver you to your resort. The cost is about $35 USD this year if the van is pretty full. Possibly double that if it is empty except for you. I have used Samuel for many years and his drivers are safe and reliable. Give them a good tip.

https://www.theventanaview.com/directory-business/categories/transportation/

If you are staying north of Pelican reef and especially if you are more than 1/4 mile north of El Sargento you may want a car for grocery shopping or restaurant runs. You will also need a car if you plan on exploring La Paz or Todas Santos. Otherwise, forget a car.

Contact me if you need more info.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
https://windnotes.smugmug.com
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been there for years, but when I was, the price of the insurance equaled the price of the base rental. That shuttle sounds like the way to go if one is willing to limit how far around the area that they explore.
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gorge_R and_D,

The prices advertised on the web often do not include the legally required Mexican insurance.

You will not need a car in La Ventana if you are staying in the zone between Pelican Reef resort to Baja Goes or even Wyatt and Tysons place. Lots of restaurants and food are within easy walking distance along the beach on road.

Instead just take a shuttle. Contact Samuel who has a fleet of large vans and they will pick you up at the SJD and deliver you to your resort. The cost is about $35 USD this year if the van is pretty full. Possibly double that if it is empty except for you. I have used Samuel for many years and his drivers are safe and reliable. Give them a good tip.

https://www.theventanaview.com/directory-business/categories/transportation/

If you are staying north of Pelican reef and especially if you are more than 1/4 mile north of El Sargento you may want a car for grocery shopping or restaurant runs. You will also need a car if you plan on exploring La Paz or Todas Santos. Otherwise, forget a car.

Contact me if you need more info.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com

Thanks Mike,

Looks like the car rentals I was looking at it include min legal liability insurance, but worried a bit about getting scammed for damage etc.. shuttle looking more attractive, but we were hoping for a day trip to La Paz, & perhaps a snorkeling &/or cactus forest hike. Our house is on the beach near Baja Joes...

I'll PM you for the lowdown - Caleb
katiedog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike/ Wind find , Do you have any knowledge of Discovercars.com ?
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katiedog wrote:
Mike/ Wind find , Do you have any knowledge of Discovercars.com ?

Hi Katiedog,

No, I don't recognize the name. I would stick to major name brands. Car rental places really have you over the barrel here especially if you are not fluent in Spanish. You are rushing to flight and they find an "issue" with the car and they have your credit card number etc. You are not suppose to take your car off road but you are forced todo so to get anywhere and they can point out all the dust and sand in the undercarriage to hassle you.

In past years there were dozens of white economy rental cars playing the road between La Ventana and Rasta Beach. This year I have only seen a couple rental cars. My guess is that with the new restaurants, kite schools, B&B's etc more people are just taking the shuttle since you can walk everywhere and there are more shuttle options.

Mike
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
katiedog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx.
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb, I sent you a personal message.

Here is a Yelp review for car rental you mentioned.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mex-rent-a-car-san-diego-3

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
csorens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been through the whole Mexican Insurance ripoff thing, and I have found that BBB rent a car has been the most honest and above board. Once you establish contact with them they will give you a realistic and honest quote that includes the insurance you will pay so there are no surprises when you get to the Airport (we're talking SJD here). They'll arrange to pick you up at the terminal for the short ride to the agency and if after hours they set it all up for you. They will work with you if you have any problems ( I actually damaged the car on my last trip and they helped me to file a claim and get it resolved!). If you go with Avis or any major brand you'll get ripped off, but this company was founded by a retired US Citizen and it worked good for me![/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: