myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Algae bloom on the bay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Algae bloom on the bay Reply with quote

Is there an algae bloom at your launch site on the SF Bay? Geez on Sat. at Coyote I thought something was wrong with my sunglasses then realized normally creepy bay water was discolored by algae and even more creepy. Wondering about how this affects all the organisms (including wing dingers et al) in the water.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to happen every handful of years since the '70's, no nothing new.
Similar to drought, or record monsoons, everything is cyclical and should return to "normal" in a few years.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure “should return to normal in a few years” is a good strategy in dealing with climate and environmental issues.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it as big a deal as you wish, but red algae late summer bloom has been occurring for longer than my 60 years of observation.
I assume I never noticed my first 13 years along the bay.
How long have you noticed this algae?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an unusual algae bloom. Not unheard of, but not around for the last 7 years. See Baykeeper’s statement here: https://baykeeper.org/featured/sf-bay-algal-bloom-now-detected-across-east-bay-shorelines

There is lots of plant life in the Bay, but the change in clarity, first noticed about twenty years ago, makes the bay more vulnerable to such blooms. For decades, the mass of sediment from the gold rush kept the bay very turbid, and prevented light penetration and nuisance growth. But that sediment finally worked its way out of the system, and all the dams (1500 of them) have cut suspended sediment and increased light penetration. So now we have to worry about nutrients.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dllee I’ve been a regular wind chaser since I purchased my first board from Glen Taylor at Bay Windsurfing in 1980. Not sure I can remember anything quite like this current algae situation. Perhaps my worst bay h20 encounter was sailing in the channel at 3rd Ave in 89 when my friend Doug and I came in and wondered what the bad smell was. Turned out to be us, apparently the water treatment plant across the street from the old launch had a mishap of sorts and untreated water was pumped into the bay and we were wearing it Sad
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a handful years ago, at Berkeley, red tide and mid Sept. brought a red seaweed carpet to the shallows inside the points Lordship and East. At zero tides, you walked on this carpet and barely sunk 3" into the mud....which some years you sink to your knees.
Things change.
My 1st time at Berkeley, fall '83, had red tide, high red seaweed piled up on Ashby Beach....over 18" deep everywhere.
I remember driving along the shores in '65, red tide, btackish smell, totally uninviting.
SPQR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac thanks for putting up the BayKeeper.org link.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not generally considered an acute risk to people, Heterosigma akashiwo is a lesser-studied species of harmful algae. It is always present in the Bay at background levels, but a bloom of this magnitude has not occurred in the region since 2004. In other parts of the world, H.akashiwo blooms have been associated with fish kills and the release of neurotoxins—these toxins are not known to accumulate in fish but may contaminate shellfish. Given uncertainty over health impacts to people and pets, we advise caution when considering recreating in the Bay or consuming fish, and particularly shellfish, caught in affected areas.

So, when I climbed out late last night at the lower end of lower kite beach after a long slog from the channel at 3rd, I noted several dead fish lining the shore. On the drive home, I noted a particularly beautifully colored sunset. Got home and thought my TV was out of wack. Then noted my water in my clear glass looked purple.

Today, I have horns growing out of my temples. I'm full of energy and seeing connections in the universe I never saw before. Life is beautiful! Long live the new flesh! I'm going back tonight, but I no longer will need any gear. My web wings surpass any sail, kite, or wing every invented. My talons can double as hydrofoils. I can fly over or under the water. Hang time is forever!!!!!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and don't forget....RECORD amount of red seaweed reported on all islands of the Carribean.
Clean water=more growth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: