myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Absolute beginner. 10 Lessons but still no results
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Buy.......
Too many questions ...

And every one a very relevant, fundamental, revealing one. Many "civilians" (non-windsurfers) have asked me whether and how they should get into windsurfing or any of its spinoffs, and my opening response is always a subset of dllee's list, especially including:
1. "Can you take off any day of the week?"
2. "Do you mind driving 100-200 kilometers each way for an early morning or an evening of sailing?
3. "Will windsurfing be your top priority?"

If the answer to any of those* is "No", "Surely you're joking", or "Of course not", I suggest a different sport.

* A lot depends on your access to good sailing sites for beginners. I can see the big, broad, breezy-to-windy, world-famous (among advanced windsurfers) Columbia River from my house, and there are MANY launch sites within a few km. HOWEVER, the current and urban wind quality dictate that we drive 70 to 150 miles each way for good conditions for beginner or advanced sailors.

Learning how to sail is just a small part of the frustration of this sport. If you're still interested, you'll do well in it. Your dedication in taking 10 lessons is a good sign.
Consenso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Buy.......
Too many questions.
1.How devoted are you for windsurfing?
2.Can you afford a new sport?
3.Do you have time for windsurfing?
4.What other responsibilities to you have in life?
5.Do you tend to dabble at sports or do you stick around long enough to get good?
6.Is your area good for windsurfing? Can you move?
7.What's your vehicle and living situation? Windsurf gear takes room.
Upstairs apartment? Think twice.
8.Where are you, and do you b ave time off during the windy season and time off during windy times if day?

1. I wished begin with windsurf since 2008 but my back problems didn't let me to start. Now I am trying

2. I think so

3. No I don't, excepting for the weekend

4. My job, my family

5. I love sport and I did some in my Life

6. I live in front the Sea and my city Is known as the sail city. So I don't Need to move, not often.

7. I have a suv and some space to recover my equipment.

8. Likes before, no much time. I should find It.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with part time windsurfing, but be aware it will always be beyond your horizons as you're on the outside looking in....at a very involved and complicated sport.
Why not just say what city? "Sail city" connotes a city by the water with light winds for SAILBOATS.
Up to you if you want to keep secrets.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How devoted are you for windsurfing?
Can you afford a new sport?
Do you have time for windsurfing?
What other responsibilities to you have in life?
Do you tend to dabble at sports or do you stick around long enough to get good?
Is your area good for windsurfing? Can you move?
What's your vehicle and living situation? Windsurf gear takes room.
Upstairs apartment? Think twice.
Where are you, and do you b ave time off during the windy season and time off during windy times if day?"

I couldn't agree more. You have to be dedicated to making the sport a part of your life. You will definitely need to make time for the sport to get the most from it.

For many folks, it's tough to overcome being a beginner. If you have a family, that can make the "dedicated" part a lot harder.

No doubt, windsurfing is a pricey sport, but a lot has to do with how tough you are on gear, and how much range in the sport you want. In my view, you want to go with high carbon products to have a stout quiver of components. And, don't forget fins.

Seriously though, you have to really want to be windsurfer. That's key.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, US, windsurfing is a way of life. It cost time, money and is challenging to learn. Its also one of the most rewarding sports there is. I say stick with it. Use the larger sail. Don't get to frustrated. If you fall in the water, get back up and try again. Even falling is a learning experience. Time on the water is the best teacher. There is a wealth of knowledge among the guys and gals on this site. We all want you to become a real windsurfer.
That said we can't really give you advice with out seeing you on the board.
If your are using a certified instructor, listen to what they say. Have someone video your lessons. Then go home and study your session. You might think you doing what the instructor said but most likely your not. Video will help point that out. One example I'm sure you have heard is, lean the mast forward. I'm sure we all here have said that a 1000 times. Most of the time the people we are helping do not get the mast forward and end up falling in the water. That one simple thing (lean the mast forward) is used in a bunch of things windsurfing.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consenso wrote:
8. Likes before, no much time. I should find It.

Oops! Most people who want to progress in this weather-dependent sport don't successfully just "find time" for it. They don't even just MAKE time for it. It's just the opposite: most of the ones who are in it for the excitement of planing, speed, jibing, and any of the stuff seen in magazines and videos end up having to "make time" for everything else in their lives. Many if us have degraded our careers and even our family lives to some degree -- some to 100% many years ago -- for windsurfing. I gave up promotions and retired 34 years ago altogether when I got the chance, and have no regrets about it.

Or Mom & Dad can raise their kids in a van by the water, so to speak. Barry and Cathy's daughter was windsurfing in big swell three months before she was born, and Cathy was back on the water about four months later. The daughter grew up in the van beside a lake as Mom & Dad took turns sailing.

Of course, if the sea near your home satisfies your needs for years to come, it should be easy to grab wind if and when it appears, whether it's at dawn, dusk, maybe lunchtime, or a weekend. Many people here have wind clauses in their jobs allowing them to sail when it's windy and make up lost time when it's not. Others just sail for a couple of hours before and/or after work.

Yet another valid alternative is intentionally staying at the novice/intermediate level permanently, just cruising around on big boards when it's convenient, not worrying about planing, jibing, tricks, jumping, etc. That's a great goal, because it leaves plenty of room for exceeding one's goals as the time or motivation allow.

Another idea: if you don't like getting wet, that's gotta change. Go jump in the water every chance yoy get until it's second nature. Get pounded in some (modest) surf. Take swims underwater. Do faceplants and buttflops. Throw sinking and/or floating items in the sea and recover them ... without goggles. Beginning windsurfers whose goal is to stay dry remain beginners.

And, oh yes ... what the heck are "dips"?
Consenso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem in say that I live in Crotone.

I don't know if it is the right place for windsurf. I see from my window many KiteSurfers. And also in my school there are 50 kite student and just 6 windsurf ones.

About the passion for the windsurf, to be honest I don't think I could say now, after just ten lesson, if windsurf will be a part of my life. For sure I love sport and this one I would like to practice a lot.

Here some videos about my city. My house is 250 meters far from the beach you can see in video n. 3, 4 and 5. In the last one the beach where I take my lessons far from me just 6km.

https://youtu.be/DfcJtUaze3Q?t=144

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexUckNqKDs&ab_channel=DaniloRuberto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np314uDvWJs&ab_channel=JonioRides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqCpw93fVI&ab_channel=PasqualeZurlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9qlTrJTmw&ab_channel=KrotolandoNeiDintorni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LezO6IdoB8&ab_channel=KrotolandoNeiDintorni
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a beautiful place to windsurf. You will be wasting your life if you do not get out there and windsurf those waters. Get on it!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess 10 lessons mean you I u are pretty devoted.

I tried windsurfing once, couldn't do it, so took a lesson and bought gear the next day, no more lessons in 40 years.
Consenso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't know what equipment buy... 200-180-160lt board? What boom, what mast etc...

Starting from the board, what could I buy?? Should I buy a windsup board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: