myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginners need advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Beginners need advice Reply with quote

Helloo, all you beautiful people, i need advice on buying a full kit, ive set my nind on buying new, and i have an order ready to go, just need sone secondary advice on the equipment, as im quite wary of sales reps and buying unnecessary and expensive stuff.
Here follows the order with total price at the end

UNIFIBER Uphaul String - Standard black
Tabou 2021 Air Ride 81 MTE
GA-FOILS Windsurf Foil Hybrid 1200 cm2 Alu
GA-Sails 2021 AirRide 7.7 C3 Red
GA-Masts 2021 50% carbon SDM 460
Green Line boom Mono Tapered 180-230
UNIFIBER Baseplate Tendon Joint HD (U-PIN)
GA Extension SDM Alu 45 2021
GA SAILS Fixed Adjustable harness lines 26-32 (Blue)
UNIFIBER - Harness - Waist (thermoform) SC
Total 3029.47 €
ss59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly advise saving your money and taking some lessons. Once you know what you are doing you will know what kit you need.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY beginner and most advanced sailors change their mind many times about what kit they must have. New gear depreciates dramatically the first time you get it wet. New gear is merely new, not necessarily better, than last year's stuff. Unless 10 thousand euros means nothing to you, I strongly advise buying used. I fully agree that professional lessons are far more important than what kit you have, and will strongly tweak your choices.

But as we old heads (43 years of mostly full time windsurfing, in my case) know, newbies won't listen. Sad Prepare to have a blast, rearrange your whole life around your new endeavor, and hock your home for more kit.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're set on new gear, and.............

There might not be as much used gear out there for foil boarding yet,
but with the advent of Winging (which seems to have taken over most of the foil board
contingent here), there will be some really inexpensive almost unused gear on
the market (even in Europe) within the year. So get lessons and then buy used.

~3000 Euros is a lot to spend before you know how much you're going to like it.

-Craig
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, i have tried it before, and quite like windsurfing so far, thats why i want to invest in a full kit, getting everything together from used sellers here in italy is proving to be an absolute bastard, and the price difference is less than 1000. Also, i am stubborn and impatient when i want to get started with something.
As for lessons, the older windsurfers will know most people were self taught in their day, and passed on their knowledge to others, i quite like that approach, it makes learning so much more satisfying, regardless of how much i will struggle.
On a side note, lessons are rediculously expensive as far as ive seen, so ill stick to help from friends, my experience as a sailor and youtube.
Any other thoughts on the rig i have listed above would be very much appreciated
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you about teaching yourself to windsurf. That's what I did, although I did it using a 12' longboard back in the mid-80s. It takes dedication and lots of determination, but it's not that difficult to learn, especially if you have some friends to help you along.

Regarding your equipment list, I have to admit that I'm not up on all the brands you've listed. If I was to make a recommendation, I would buy a carbon boom given the fact that you're going to need the stiffness using a 7.7 sail. It's a bit more expensive, but in the end it's a solid investment that will serve you well for many years into the future.

Lastly, starting out, it's really important to learn using a small sail to develop the basics of sail handling and balancing yourself on your board. Maybe your beyond that stage at this point, but I thought it important to mention just in case you're not.
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWChandler
Thank you very much, thats the info i was looking for, ill be looking at a higher carbon content for a mast, i will be sailing in a very light winds for the next 3 months, i will buy a smaller sail when i go to an area with stronger winds.
I will probably be asking many more question, and i hope this topic stays open for anyone who needs advice as a beginner.
Have a lovy evening all

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t foil - yet, but that sail seems big for a foil rig. I would guess as you get close to 15 kits, that might be too much sail. When I got back in the game a few years ago, I primarily used a 7.5, which was good on the fin up to about 20kts. I weigh 88kgs. Foils require less sail.

Last edited by 70000783212998 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ss59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly:

UNIFIBER Uphaul String - Standard black - it is what it is
Tabou 2021 Air Ride 81 MTE - very fragile - the first catapult will crack the nose which might be the first time out
GA-FOILS Windsurf Foil Hybrid 1200 cm2 Alu - depends on your weight, seems middle of the ground. Will hurt the first time you kick it
GA-Sails 2021 AirRide 7.7 C3 Red - very, very big rig - would use a rig this big in very light winds, learning to windfoil in very light winds is almost impossible. A much smaller sail (5.7 maybe) and more wind would be better
GA-Masts 2021 50% carbon SDM 460 - will make that very big rig feel very very heavy
Green Line boom Mono Tapered 180-230 - after spending some much on a board and sail, this is a cheap boom (and mast) - I dont think you need carbon, you wont be applying that much pressure
UNIFIBER Baseplate Tendon Joint HD (U-PIN) - fine, chinook is more of a standard
GA Extension SDM Alu 45 2021 - the sail you have chosen needs 33cm of extension - i think that is a lot / too much - another reason for a smaller sail
GA SAILS Fixed Adjustable harness lines 26-32 (Blue) - depends on your forearm length, nobody can tell you what length lines to go for
UNIFIBER - Harness - Waist (thermoform) SC - if it fits, but you should try on as many as possible
Total 3029.47 €

In conclusion, I think waiting for more wind, using a 5.7 on a lighter 430 mast and a shorter extension would be a better choice.
I suspect that, unless you have windsurfed a reasonable amount, you wouldn't even be able to uphaul a 7.7 on a 145litre 81cm wide board unless you are very light - this is a much much smaller board than would be used to learn to windsurf. I don't mean to sound negative, but have seen this situation so many times - full of excitement - buy all the kit - sell all the kit a month later
corneskinkcoetzee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting some great advice here, thanks, ss59. This is why i came to forums, this makes complete sense, not saying i wont be an idiot and buy that rig, it just sounds like a bit of a trap at this point, and a serious struggle to get going.
My alternative is to look at used rigs boards and accessories till the cows come home and never actually get out there, or worse, get scammed by some twat on facebook market place or spend way more than i should have, just weighing up options and getting as much info as possible to make an informed decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: