myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for the best freeride board for my 9.5 Ezzy lion!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxifloxacin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Looking for the best freeride board for my 9.5 Ezzy lion! Reply with quote

My background and set up:

**SUPER BEGINNER!! TOTAL PLANING TIME: 20-30 SECS. Comfortable with harness, and comfortable with front footstrap, back footstrap still working on it.

Location: North side of Chicago. Not very windy. Mostly 8 knots with 14 gust. sometimes 12 knots with 20 gust.

--------------------------------------------

200 LB bodyweight. Decently athletics.

2021 starboard Go windsurfer

Starboard Olympic IQfoil adult version (I am way too newbie to touch this yet after trying for 3 sessions)

Ezzy lion 8.5, 9.5

sailwork retro 8.5, flyer 7.0

Some small air-x sails i've never used... 5.8 and 6.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I have 2021 165L starboard Go windsurfer w/ retractable daggerboard. It is a tiny bit narrower than regular starboard go without the center fin. The website shows that sail range is 4.5 to 8.5. (the smaller 155 Go is wider and has sail range of 6.5 to 10). I called some windsurfing shop, they do not recommend using a 9.5 on the 165 starboard Go cuz its a bit too narrow.

I have very messed up work schedule. I get two days off and one day I have to save it to hangout with my wife. I would like to get on water as much as possible, which means that for that 1 day off, even if the wind is blowing 6 knots w/ 12 knots gust, I am going out! and I am going to bring the largest sail I can find! which right now ezzy lion 9.5 is the largest one I can find.

I understand the general windsurfing progression. Starboard Go => large freeride board => smaller slalom board => foil

So now I am considering sinking some money to get a intermediate freeride board for my ezzy 9.5.

What is this subreddit's recommendation? THANKS!!!

***Just from some research, EVERYBODY RECOMMENDS STARBOARD CARVE. its like the cream of the crop in the freeride genre.. Also Ive got 2 starboard boards, might as well stay in the family lol... but unless I get the carve 169L.. none of the carve supports 9.5 sail.... I don't want a board THAT large. I see this starboard futura.. whats this board?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I am about your weight, probably not as athletic and am still a little "old school"...as in no foiling

when someone says they want to windsurf with a 9.5 m² sail - that's one thing

when the same person says they wish to do that in 8-12 knot winds ...hmm

I use a GA Swift 10-oh sail on either my JP SLW92 or Shark 145 in winds 10-15 knots (20-30kph about)

Previously that was reserved for my preferred longboard, Mistral Equipe II

In too light a wind I find that width can be your enemy and that is where the longboard excelled also great in waves

am I recommending a longboard - perhaps, but I think I am mostly warning about not going too wide in the lighter winds - you wanna glide

your starboard GO 165 is 80cm wide and 52cm OFO
this means you can put a 50 or 52 cm fin on it
this is what I put on my Shark with my 10-oh
here is a recent video of my Shark with the BIG sail in 10-15knots
the Shark is 75cm wide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnVCi-tAxw

I actually think 80 cm in 8 knots is too wide
let me see if I can find a video of my AHD with 80 cm and a 10-oh sail
looks like I tried it once and made no noise about it
which means it was not ideal
the 8.5 sail was a perfect match for that board

guess that is enough rambling for now
and I have NO perfect answer for your situation

someone here will probably push the foiling Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find an old Angluo Sumo 155, I regularly rode that board with a
9.5 Retro, and planed in 12MPH but certainly not 6. Joe's longboard
recommendation is a good one. I should also mention that the search for
lower planing threshold on windsurfing gear can be expensive. You really
need a good carbon boom, and the recommended 100% carbon mast for your
Lion. i don't know what kind of fin your starboard came with, but a fin with
15% more surface area might get you planing more often and is the least
expensive upgrade you can do to lower the threshold a little. If you find you're
just a MPH or 2 of wind away from planing, a bigger skeg will get you there
(or better planing technique). To take advantage of a bigger sail you must get
a bigger fin, so start with the fin 1st and see if that gets you what you need
with the current rig you have. I mentioned better planing technique because
you mentioned you had only been sailing for a few days. After a year or 2
you might find you can plane up much earlier than you could after a few days.

Good luck,

-Craig
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail the rest of the season on the gear you have. Learn basic board and sail skills. Learn to water start on your windy days. I'm Glad your stoked about windsurfing. But at your body weight and skill set it will be difficult at best to get on a plane in 8 to 14mph wind. . It can be done on expensive gear and a highly skilled sailor. Get out on the water as much as possible even if the wind is lite and you only have an hour. Next season you could be ready to give your foil board a go. With a large front wing you should be able to get up and flying in that wind range. Install a good nose pad on that board. Wear a helmet and leg protection when foiling..
Awalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Options for a 9.5 Reply with quote

Planing in 8kt for heavier sailors is expert territory - you shouldn't expect it. 14 is very realistic on an 8.5 Lion though.

You mention the Starboard Futura and that would be an excellent choice - the 144ltr Futura 86 would give you early planing and a big upside as you improve because it'll handle rough conditions more easily than true slalom or Formula boards and it'll also work well with a foil.

As far as maximum time on the water (without a foil) it'll be impossible to beat a good racing longboard - essentially no maximum windstrength, they fly upwind, are surprisingly fast reaching, and work perfectly with a 9.5. You'll pane off the daggerboard in 8 and they light up all the way in 12. However they're beasts to store and transport and they're kind an evolutionary dead end since any decent Foil setup will outperform them in every wind strength above 10kt.

One board you might like to check out is the Goya Volar - probably the 145 or 160. They're not as racy as the Futura but are excellent for developing sailors - easy to jibe, pretty early planing, sturdy and less expensive too.
ss59

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

total planning time 20-30 seconds; I guess when you say you are comfortable in the harness and the front strap you mean - whilst non-planning. Being in comfortable in the harness (and straps) whilst planning is completely different.

It all depends on what you want to achieve. Maximum time on the water OR maximum rate of improvement.

If it is time on the water it is about making the most of the conditions you have. In 8 knots with 14 knot gusts you are not going to get planning - end of. So, to make the most of the conditions something with a centreboard is best. Going for a huge sail is futile (there is not enough wind to plane at your level) and is just dead weight, so stick with the 6.5.

If you want to improve faster. put your 5.8 on your Go and go out regardless of the wind - practice and practice. Then, on the steady 14kt+ days use a modern140L-150L freeride (brand/type is irrelevant at your level) with your 6.5 or 7 and practice getting going in the gusts (the bigger sails will just slow down your progress)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: