myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Bay Area/NorCal Locations (Coyote point?!?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajmcgraw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Beginner Bay Area/NorCal Locations (Coyote point?!?) Reply with quote

I've been trying to learn wing surfing the past few weeks at Alameda, and I'm getting super frustrated because winds in the 15+ knot range have been so rare that 4 out of the 5 times I've made the drive, the wind has been so weak that I can't even get up and going (I'm 230 lb and have a 6m wing). Are there other locations in the area that would be more viable?

The boardsportscalifornia guys told me that Alameda is the only learning spot on the bay. Is this true? They strongly discouraged me from trying to learn at Coyote point, even though I live walking distance from it and have to drive 40 minutes to get to Alameda. Is Coyote point really that much of a risk for a noob? I am out there walking a lot, and the wind is almost always onshore on the beach. It seems like it only gets sketchy if you go out far enough to drift past the point, and might be pretty safe if you keep near the shore. Is that a bad assumption? I have personally seen people getting blown out all the way to the marina break for an emergency landing. But how much of a risk is that if you keep near the beach, just learning the basics?

I don't even know how to jibe yet, but how am I ever going to learn if all I do is sit around waiting for Alameda to start blowing more consistently? Sad

Thanks for any suggestions!
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Shorline? The winds lighter but probably better than Alameda.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you understand your limits and know the wind and tides it should be ok.
IF: you launch up wind.
IF: you stay a few hundred yards of shore until you catch on.
IF: its to windy you don't launch
IF: you listen to the advice of the locals wingers
Might be best to go early or late when its less crowded.
ALL that said, its been several years since I sailed there. I don't know how things have changed since...
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: winging needs wind Reply with quote

Trying to learn winging in light wind really sucks so very badly. When learning you need to be juiced. It's a lot safer than kite foiling to learn, especially around hard objects. Swim it out and do reaches that keep you in the pocket. You may do the walk of shame several times, or ding your foil but just about anything beats not having enough power to even have a chance of getting up onto foil, or possibly even standing up--ugh!

I pretty much learned to windsurf there in 1984. Same issues really. Just be alert and for damn sure wear shoes.

my $0.02

Eric

PS: lived in Oregon since 1986 so not sure how CP has changed. I doubt for the worse.
ajmcgraw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. How about the Sacramento Delta? Sherman Island? Are there good learning locations there? It seems to blow pretty consistently. I'd be willing to make the drive a couple times a month if it's beginner friendly and I know I can get several hours on the water with winds in the 15+ knots range .
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good place to lean to wing. The water is always moving flood or ebb. There is a window of slack tide but its small and it seems that the wind backs off then. If you miss your launch site on return you can be into the levee rocks with no way out. Most of the easy access points are very busy. Flood tide offers smoother water but its difficult at best to get back to your launch with the wind and water moving the same way. Ebb is better but you get a rolling swell on the surface that is super fun but not good to learn on. There must be some inland lakes in your area that offer afternoon thermal winds 15/20mph that would be great to learn on. If they have water
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Tomales Bay? Never been there myself but heard good things...
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn winging any place lots of people are windsurfing, windfoiling, and wingfoiling.
Coyote is closest to your home, go there.
Use common sense, talk to locals .
Tons of beginners at Coyote, Sherman Is, Crissy, Berkeley, Larkspur.
If you are scared, then maybe sport is not for you.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this post in the Northwest Section? Would not the Southwest Section be more appropriate?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Cen Cal.
Coyote is fine, stay West of the Boardsports shack until you are confident of your upwind ability.
Walk your gear East of the parking lot, almost to the free parking area, and launch there, heading towards the Boardsports Shack, BUT TRY TO STAY UPWIND.
DO NOT go past the shack.
Wing is much easier to learn and self rescue than windsurfing. Thousands have learned windsurfing at Coyote Point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: