myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advice on volume for FSW boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to offer a comment, it would be to focus on fins and your different options on the boards that you are considering.

Speaking for myself, I would want a board that would accept a larger (22cm) A-base center fin, particularly for high wind bump & jump action you can expect in non-wave venues. I like the stronger drive, tracking and upwind abiltiy that a larger center fin can provide. I have found that larger center fin still can work well with side fins too. If you are looking for a looser tri-fin combination for coastal wave riding, you can change to a smaller center fin to give you greater maneuverability, and a more skatey feel.

Lastly, I would also recommend the 84 liter volume choice.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the wind quality is like at you home site. 110 down to a 84 or 85 liter board is a big step. How often you can use a board that small? If you go too small the board won't get on the water often. I tend to agree with the suggestion of a 95 ish liter board. Look at the size and shape of the tail. Narrow and thin is a good bet for a smooth ride...Some of the best riding ruff water boards are longer, heavier and even slower. Open Ocean is a stand out if you can find one....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the wind quality is like at you home site. 110 down to a 84 or 85 liter board is a big step. How often you can use a board that small? If you go too small the board won't get on the water often. I tend to agree with the suggestion of a 95 ish liter board. Look at the size and shape of the tail. Narrow and thin is a good bet for a smooth ride...Some of the best riding ruff water boards are longer, heavier and even slower. Open Ocean is a stand out if you can find one....
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Some of the best riding ruff water boards are longer, heavier and even slower.

Or faster point to point because the smooth ride encourages and enables higher maintained speed in chop. And weight is a construction thing more than a (relative) length thing. Many of my traditional (i.e., longer, aka non-stubby) shapes weigh about 13 pounds, and some of my gunniest boards are among my fastest (and slashiest) when chop is any issue at all.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
I suspect you'd get more than double the use of a 94 than an 84, you would find it a very large step down from your wide 110.

Agreed ... in both inland lakes and surf. A couple of pretty good sailors once asked me why I was using such a small board on the Oregon coast.

"It's what I'm used to, it works great in the Gorge and in New Mexico, and I don't know any better." I upsized the board and downsized the sail and did much better.

Their names were Pritchard and Wyman.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. I like the idea of 90ish liters for my local conditions. I just don't want the board to be too similar to my 110L.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into the RRD FSW. I have the 90 liter and use it mostly in 4.7 to 6.2 winds on flat water, rolling swell and waves. Really love this board. The performance can really be modified by using single fins and thruster arrangement. Upwind performance is excellent. Plenty of speed and fantastic control with the right fins. I am 155 lbs, 5'-10".

Rob
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you would expect to use your high wind board for 3.7, 4.2 and 4.7 conditions, you really do want the 84 liter for your size. The only thing that could make that size a bit more difficult is regularly having conditions at your sailing sites with very large wind shadows to deal with to reach and return from the wind line. Once out in strong winds, having a higher volume board can be quite a handful, particularly in 3.7 and 4.2 conditions.

If you face the threat of wind shadows, I've found that learning to handle slighter larger sails in rough conditions can really help. In my view having a bit too much sail is far more preferable than having too big a board.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the of the smooth riding 3S.. I still ride the 2016 96 liter board. In 2017 Tabou changed the shape of the 3S to a short wide board. I bought the 86 liter board for higher wind. After several sessions, I found that it rode no better than the larger board and maybe even not as good, I spent some time switching boards with the same results. The 3s has/had a huge following and posts started coming out about the new boards not having the magic ride of the older version. After 2 years of negative response, Tabou went back to the old design and called it the 3S classic. I guess my point is less volume isn't the only thing to consider when looking a smooth riding board. For me as a ageing windsurfer, I found riding the little bigger board with a slightly smaller sail was easier and more fun.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we need to be honest about our sailing venues. Do you sail in the ocean or in inland lakes?

Based on my experience primarily sailing in the ocean, you have to be prepared for very large fetches where hign wind can make water conditions absolutely huge. You don't want to be over-boarded in open ocean type swells trying to sail in real 3.7 to 4.2 conditions. Believe me, those folks are humbled and back to the beach very quickly.

On the other hand, if you are sailing inland lakes with relatively small fetches, you can get away with the big board/small sail combination pretty easily.

Overall, I guess you need to be honest about your conditions to make a serious choice.

In closing, I will say that going down to an 84 liter board isn't that great a challenge, and I would question those that think otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: