myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advice on volume for FSW boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler:

Valid questions. I primarily sail high altitude inland lakes (7k'-9k' elevation). Our wind, although powerful, is very gusty and does contains holes. In chatting with a long-time local about this, we have discussed the pros of leaning towards a slightly larger board.

Our strong wind season is early in the spring and the water is quite cold at that time. That said, you can add a few #s to my weight with a 4/3 suit, boots, and hood.

A day requiring 3.7m would be pushing my limits for sure! I'm mostly interested in an FSW board for 4.2m-5.6m conditions. I typically sail my 110L FireMove with a 5.2 or 5.6 in the spring. But, the board is bouncing all over the place and is quite uncomfortable! Note: it is 74cm wide. The vast majority of the time, I will continue to use the 110L. But, I'm in the mood to increase my quiver!

All signs are pointing me towards a 90L-94L board...
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should buy two boards. Possibly a new one, and a used one to save on some bucks. There's one guy here that says you can buy good used high wind boards in the Gorge for a song.

More seriously now, I can see that the coast and waves aren't really your focus right now, so maybe a higher volume board fits better in your local scene. You can always fin down on those 3.7 and 4.2 days.

You might want to take a trip to the Gorge this summer. It would be an interesting experience, if you can time it right.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
A day requiring 3.7m would be pushing my limits for sure! I'm mostly interested in an FSW board for 4.2m-5.6m conditions. I typically sail my 110L FireMove with a 5.2 or 5.6 in the spring. But, the board is bouncing all over the place and is quite uncomfortable! Note: it is 74cm wide. All signs are pointing me towards a 90L-94L board...

Liters play a small part in ride quality compared to hull design. My 103L Mistral Syncro is much smoother riding and loose (i.e., turny) than my 84L JP FSW was, for example. As someone above and many magazine articles have emphasized, thin and narrow tails really boost virtually every performance factor in chop. Fin selection plays a HUGE part in any board's performance.

Keep in mind, too, that "new" means only "different", not necessarily "better". I have many 20-yo boards that will run circles around many 2022 boards. That's why I still have and still ride them. I don't give a hoot in hell about the price tag or the Must Sell By date; ALL I care about is performance, and by MY -- not the next guy's --- criteria.

A trip to a Gorge swap meet would knock yer socks off (and 50 people would guide you in purchasing), but swaps and decent wind are hard to come by this year, both due to the effects of a record La Nina. It's just too cold and wet for the classic Gorge thermals to kick in. However, you could go just for the July 3 swap, choose from dozens of good boards meeting your criteria at ridiculous prices, and maybe even catch some wind. If you're considering coastal sailing, a long one-day or easy two-day drive to the Gorge may not be so daunting (I've done that 20 or 30 times from Albuquerque before I wised up, picked up, and moved there).

If you drive an electric vehicle, however, add a day or two to the drive. As I said, "new" means only "different", not necessarily "better".
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado has some good days in April, May and June. I used my 77L with 3.7, 4.2 & 4.7 often! Then you may occasionally sail in Wyoming, Nebraska where the wind is better and stronger. My strong intermediate buddies were all on 85s. Only heavier guys would go 90L+

You could go 90L+ with a small fin when powered up. Or skip the 25 knot+ sessions which I think would be a bummer there.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun topic and interesting replies.. Most of the replies are driven by where we sail and wind quality. Each are meant to help answer your question honestly
and help get you a new small board. Another option is take that trip to a windy place and demo before you buy. The Gorge is a great place to do that for several reasons. Another option is Bird island Texas in April. World Winds board shop is right there on the beach and they have great boards to try. Its warm, shallow and windy in April. It can be 4.0 to 8.0 and everything between. In general its more like 5.2 to 6.5.. And people have used gear to sell
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please research Corpus Christi before going there. The are several LONG, detailed, data-backed discussions about it in this forum.

IMO, based on 20 years of WSing in NM, the memorable days of WSing there were worth whatever it took to own tiny sinkers. We moved heaven, earth, and our careers to catch forecasts of 30, 40, 50 mph average windspeeds. We'd go to work early, leave at lunch, drive the 185 miles E, W, or S from Albuquerque, sail until dark, then drive home. One poor schmuck did that TWICE IN ONE DAY, when Tuesday's wind didn't arrive until Wednesday. I'll never forget the MANY days like that at Conchas Lake, Elephant Butte, and Morgan Lake. If we skipped the days averaging over 25 kts, we'd have missed by FAR the best 50% of NM's sailing.

I know CO's winds aren't as strong as NM's (I've seen stronger sustained wind in NM than I ever have in the Gorge), but any time I could get on 65 liters at 180-190# was (and still is) precious. GREAT boards in top condition in that size go for $100 or less (w/straps, bag and fin) at Gorge swap meets, while 80-90 L boards in top condition go for maybe another $100, if that. BS? Nope. I've bought, ridden, and sold at least 30 boards, and seen literally hundreds more, meeting those descriptions. I've had several board and sail combinations around 65-70L and 3-4 sq meters earn their cost ($100 total if in very good to excellent condition) in one fantastic day on the water.

I've also ridden modern demo boards costing two grand for which I wouldn't pay $5 and wouldn't waste fuel or space hauling them around if they were given to me. Vintage (within reason) and price mean squat, so why gamble two grand on a board you can't even try out first?

Don't, however, think I'm recommending dropping from 105L to a sinker. That's too big a gap. Thus the 85-95 L range commonly suggested in this and similar threads. Much depends on the risks at your usual lakes of an unexpected wind shutoff or a significant wind shadow. If that price is small, think small. If that risk and price are large, think large (and/or launch from a downwind or at least sideshore site). For ocean surf, think bigger board and smaller sail compared to the same wind on inland waters.
mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isthmus has a 90 liter RRD LTD V5 freestyle wave for sale at a good price. Says it has a small professional repair. It may have been damaged during shipping. Several of my friends have the V5 boards and really like them. I have several older versions which I will probably never sell. I find them less technically demanding to sail than my newer Fanatic Freewaves which seem to be very fin critical.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 95 ltr RRD Twin Tip. Great board for freeriding with a proper fin.

-Craig

mark wrote:
Isthmus has a 90 liter RRD LTD V5 freestyle wave for sale at a good price. Says it has a small professional repair. It may have been damaged during shipping. Several of my friends have the V5 boards and really like them. I have several older versions which I will probably never sell. I find them less technically demanding to sail than my newer Fanatic Freewaves which seem to be very fin critical.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you said you're inland sailing, I'd vote 90-95 liters to give you a little extra float for your high wind days. I'm of similar body specs, 60 % + of my sailing is inland. I'll foil on a 120, windsurf on a 102 freestyle or 104 FSW then step down to an 84.

I find I prefer the extra float of the 100 liters in fresh water and the wind lulls with inland sailing. I'll sail the 102 down to a 4.4 for sure, as many of my sailing venues have small but not huge chop. If it's nuking or ocean sailing with steadier wind, I'll use my 84 with smaller sails but unfortunately that's only a few times a year only. If you're doing more ocean sailing then perhaps the 84, but a drop from 110 to 84 is a big step. Tacking an 84 requires more precision, and uphauling is "possible" but would be fairly challenging. I can uphaul my 102 comfortably most of the time, but still prefer to water start it.

anyhow, just another $0.02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: