Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:35 pm Post subject: Early morning signs of the wind coming later in the day
The image below shows a few of the early signs to watch for mid morning to tell if the forecast is on track even before the winds develop at your launch site.
Looking at the graphic below and find the following numbered circles.
1. First check out the ocean buoys' wind strength. The stronger those winds the better the Crissy to Waddell winds.
2. Check if there are eddy southerly winds. If they are strong, building and holding S. the better the north tower, Pt. Isabel and Berkeley winds and the worse the 3rd. Ave winds inside. If the eddy winds are weak, fading and turning WNW the better the 3rd. Ave. winds INSIDE and the worse the winds at the other sites above. Today the eddy is weakening.
3. How strong and what direction are the Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo winds. If they are strong and have turned from NNE to NNW or NW then expect strong gusty winds from Anita Rock south to Waddell and unreliable winds for Pt. Isabel and maybe Berkeley late in the day. Today those winds are turning NW.
4. Check if there are morning NE winds near 3rd. Ave. This indicates that NW winds aloft are descending the coast range, heating and creating a very local brief pressure gradient. This is a good sign for NW to WNW winds later at 3rd. Ave. unless there is lots of fog in the Hwy. 92 Gap.
5. Check the sensors in the Larkspur area. If they are SW to SSW expect good wind at Larkspur and/or Pt. Isabel. If the winds are SE it means that strong NW winds are moving over the coast range, warming and creating a brief local pressure gradient. This is a BAD sign for Pt. Isabel suggesting a fade and a good sign for later WNW winds for Rod & Gun.
And to get really geeky look at the Bodega profiler to see how the winds just aloft are changing.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You can attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum