myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
***SWAP MEET SUNDAY JULY 3rd!**** BRING It ALL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Biff, Obviously you know something that the rest of don't. Please share your conspiracy theory. Thanks

All I know is that the question hasn't been answered yet, and that the question continues to be dodged here. The continued dodginess aspect makes it suspicious to me. I wish I had been at the (theoretical) meeting where the subject was discussed. I would have spoken out strongly against cancelling. And I would have delivered my rationales without fear.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Biff, Obviously you know something that the rest of don't. Please share your conspiracy theory. Thanks

All I know is that the question hasn't been answered yet, and that the question continues to be dodged here. The continued dodginess aspect makes it somewhat suspicious to me. I wish I had been at the (theoretical) meeting where the subject was discussed. I would have spoken out strongly against cancelling. And I would have delivered my rationales immediately.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most clever comment I've seen on the matter is an aside from Temira's forecast today: "the Hood River Bridge will be open this weekend due to the threat of rain."
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The most clever comment I've seen on the matter is an aside from Temira's forecast today: "the Hood River Bridge will be open this weekend due to the threat of rain."

It's a fact not a joke. The bridge was scheduled to be closed this weekend for repairs but those repairs were rescheduled due to the wet forecast.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rats. I had assumed Temira's comment was a parody, in which she changed "closed" to "open" to be sure no one thought the bridge was to be closed.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a relief to me the swap was canceled and we had a pile of boards to sell. Nothing beats a sunny day. CGW has the boards now so no worries.
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
GarryW wrote:

All I know is that the question hasn't been answered yet, and that the question continues to be dodged here. The continued dodginess aspect makes it suspicious to me. I wish I had been at the (theoretical) meeting where the subject was discussed. I would have spoken out strongly against cancelling. And I would have delivered my rationales without fear.

Biff, why don't you join the CGW2 board and then you can come to every meeting and give your input? Sounds like you have some to give. Then maybe you could even help out, we always need more volunteers at the swaps. It was pretty clear why the swap was cancelled. I'll give you a hint though since you're having trouble (hint...rain).
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND they do the best they can and make the decisions they feel correct. They are not required to hold a public discussion on their decisions or even justify them. The forecast was for rain and they made the decision to cancel. End of story. Get over it.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I stated previously, after the summer, I may choose to be more involved as a volunteer (instead of wimpily and "merely" giving thousands of $...no hyperbole!).

Like I stated previously, I realize CGW2 doesn't have to report anything to the general public. However, as a grass roots organization which depends in large part on good public relations with constituents (the general public), it is smart to be "open" about decisions (rather than obfuscating, hinting (with a picture), or just plain running and hiding). Again, own it. From my point of view, this would be "over", if only the CGW2 would truly own it. Hasn't happened! Not a good sign. And I'm a baaaad man for not dropping it. We should expect some nuts (includes ovaries!) from the CGW2. We have all handled harsh weather. We have all made mistakes. The important thing is to admit and learn.

Yeah, I think the decision to bail (especially with short notice; What about all the travelers to the Gorge, loaded and ready...if not already here? What about the locals who have been waiting for months to sell and acquire needed gear?) was inconsiderate and dumb beyond belief. Thousands of $ in lost revenue, gear remains piled up, many constituents disappointed. The weather turned out to be fine, but actually I believe this fact is irrelevant. Bad weather would not have been vindication for wimping out. Was it one person? Or was it a herd effect? I mean, weather forecasts are about 50% accurate at this time of year here; this is a well-known weather transition zone. (Here's a constructive idea: alternate swap meet or swap meet location to the east, such as Mosier, further away from the notorious weather transition zone.) Mosier often has drier weather during Springtime, the main weather transition time.

We don't live in a hurricane zone either (so nobody is going to die). Is it now a policy of the CGW2 to chicken out due to mere threat of imperfect weather? We've all been wet and blown around before. Big whoop. Is Covid anxiety a factor? Laziness? Etc. I don't cling to any theory. I would just like to see some ownership. This could include something like "Yeah, we really blew it this time. And we learned something too." That would be encouraging!

NO rationale for cancelling has truly been given here OR on the CGW2 website. Just really weak statements. It's discouraging ON TOP of the swap getting cancelled. I would like to see more courage and humility with both types of decisions.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Biff, you're triple bummed out that the swap meet didn't happen. No worries though, I'm sure that another one will happen very soon in a month or so.

Where I live, there are no windsurfing shops or swap meets, and its been that way for over 25 years or more. You're damn lucky today to even see a windsurfer sailing in my neighborhood.

Don't be so spoiled. I would recommend showing up at Swell City or the Hattery on a good day to either find and sell equipment. I remember buying a really sweet 7' 10"" OO at Swell City from Farmer Dave in 2005. I serious doubt that I would have found such a gem at a Gorge swap meet (I've been to many), and that was when windsurfing was still popular. At least you still have a number of windsurfing shops in Hood River. You should count your blessings while you still can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: