myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bringing Equipment to Maui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailnbike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Bringing Equipment to Maui Reply with quote

Has anyone brought their gear to Maui from the Mainland recently?
Alaska air shows $30 for the first bag and $40 but also lists a windsurfing kit as $30. I know other airlines are $150+ each way. Just trying to get a feel if it's worth it to take my own gear or rent.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about Maui (or any well-equipped WSing mecca) is its simplicity. For Maui, a duffel bag I can carry in one hand holds all I need, such as helmet, harness, a couple of extra pairs of board shorts and rash guards, a pair of sandals, shaver (optional), undies and basic toiletries, and ... ummmm ... that's about it. That way I'm not exposing my WSing gear to gorillas or loss or delay, and I can rent gear perfectly suited to the conditions. I buy a fan there to help survive the heat (even in air conditioned lodging) and leave it behind. I rent a board and two sails, any of which can be swapped if conditions change. (That doesn't work in the Gorge, but it works pretty well on Maui.)

KISS.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve taken gear to Maui many times, but have come to realize the gear I have is not good enough for Maui. Unless you know your gear is perfect for Maui, rather rent gear.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in Maui last summer and rented gear from Hi Tech - highly recommend. But, the rental manger there told me that a lot of shops are cutting back on windsurfing rental gear. It simply takes up too much space and everything on Maui now is about wing foiling. Very few windsurfers except at Hookipa. Even kiting from what I saw was very limited. So my point is to call a few shops to make sure they are still renting windsurfing gear and they have a decent selection. If not, bringing your own gear may be a good choice.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been years since I've been to Maui, but I did take my own gear 5 different times. That was after renting the first year, which proved to be far from ideal, but I won't get into that. However, on one trip I hit a turtle and broke my finbox and fin, and I was forced to rent a board. It was a Hi-Tech custom board from their shop. I have to be frank, the board didn't even come close to measuring up to my Open Ocean, but it was OK under the circumstances.

If you are going to Maui for a couple weeks or more like I did, you will save a ton of money by taking your own gear. Also, given the fact that you are readily accustomed to it, you're going to be more than comfortable, and that goes for using your own sails, masts and booms too. Most times, I took two boards and four sails.

Lastly, if you want to be adventurous and open the pocketbook, you can always rent a board or two on your trip.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have correct gear for Maui conditions, a good option is to bring it.
For trips longer than 3 weeks, it's a cost savings...plus damage costs you less.
SAS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fly gear to/from Maui all the time, and never had any damage to it or delay of it.

If your gear is right for Maui conditions, and you will be there long enough so that the cost and hassle of baggage is well under the cost of renting, I would bring it. You will also need to rent a vehicle that will carry the gear, or bring some soft racks for your rental car.

If you are concerned about board inventory, call a shop and ask them. I like 2nd wind and HiTech.

Until today I've never heard of anyone needing to buy a fan for their rental unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: