myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick triage center meeting today March 17
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Candlestick triage center meeting today March 17 Reply with quote

Please join today at 5 pm.

DPW, Supervisor Walton and organizations that work on Stick VTC will be there.
Ask away about the road closure, park access and why homeless people cannot move to VTC, why there is no running water, no generators allowed or propane tanks, electricity is scarce. The cost of this project about 10 million dollars:

To: Evans, Abe (BOS); DPH-Workplaces-536; Ted Rusli; hart.gayle@yahoo.com; nita553@aol.com; jasminealvarez@gmail.com; rmorine@aol.com; wizle83@gmail.com; vvvluvqb@gmail.com; Arelious Walker; Pierce, Karen (DPH); Cohen, Emily (HOM); Bouck, Deborah (HOM); Ramos, Joel (MTA); Dahl, Bryan (DPW); Walton, Shamann (BOS); Burch, Percy (BOS); DPH-workplaces-57; louisr@urban-alchmey.us; Nadon King; Artiejr; Ian Clark-Johnson; kent Myers; Wong, Anna (DPW); Durden, DiJaida (DPW); McDaniels, Christopher (DPW); McCormick, Shawn (MTA)
Cc: Thornley, Andy
Subject: Bayview Vehicle Triage Center Work Group Meeting 3
When: Thursday, March 17, 2022 5:00 PM-6:00 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).
Where:

Hi all,

Looking forward to seeing you all for our third Bayview Vehicle Triage Center Work Group Meeting.

Here is the zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82210563645?pwd=b0ZwQWIyL1NUaTBOQ1cwY2RmT0gyQT09

As always, please feel free to invite any community members who may be interested in joining.

We are finalizing the agenda and will be sharing it out early next week, please let me know if there are particular items you’d like added.

Best,
Abe
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Candlestick triage center meeting March 17 outcome Reply with quote

Hello All

I would like to give an update on the Candlestick meeting.

Bunch of folks were participating, see the emails below.

The main topic of the meeting was the closure of the Hunters Point Expressway.
The reason is that with the closure of that road, the trucks that used to take that route
to/from the concrete company are now taking residential streets (Gilman). The trucks are not washed off and spread the silica from their concrete and cement all over the neighborhood now. Which I did not know about and it is absolutely disgusting.

DPW (DiJaida.Durden@sfdpw.org) told us that they closed that road because they do not want to clean up anymore. People keep on dumping trash there and blah blah bs.
When asked when it will be opened, her answer was she does not know since the road is owned by three parties. She did not know what they are, naming only 'rangers'.
DPW also talked about ways to reduce the dumping by installing the cameras, and few seconds later herself admitted that they are being shot down almost immediately.
It was suggested to put some dump containers instead so at least some people will not
randomly trash on the road.

SFMTA also was not sure what they are trying to do and said (I forgot who that was) that they will be talking to the cement company to start washing their trucks. And that they have a priority to re-open the expressway. No plan on how and what will be done.

Karen Pierce (karen.pierce@sfdph.org - program manager at ccsf/dph) thinks among all issues that parking on the expressway should be eliminated completely.
Also she wanted to stop discussing the closure of the expressway since the VTC has a priority (which is not functioning).

In short, they just closes the road because they know the VTC is not working for people to leave in there and folks will come back to the road immediately.

If you care about Stick and access to the water, these are the people who we should to write. We should point out that this is a State Park, that DPW job is to clean the trash.
That the parking is important for us and everyone else. Not only at the State park, but around it as well. We should also make sure that the VTC is functioning because it costs 10mil to have it operated for 2 years.
Next meeting is set to be in a month, no date is being set, I will update the topic.

PS> The Bayview community really suffers the most from this and there are no many people representing them.

DHSH@sfgov.org
abe.evans@sfgov.org
waltonstaff@sfgov.org
dpw@sfdpw.org
Joel.Ramos@sfmta.com
bryan.dahl@sfdpw.org
percy.burch@sfgov.org
anna.wong@sfdpw.org
DiJaida.Durden@sfdpw.org
christopher.mcdaniels@sfdpw.org
Shawn.McCormick@sfmta.com
Andy.Thornley@sfmta.com
Gerald.OReilly@parks.ca.gov
karen.pierce@sfdph.org - program manager at ccsf/dph
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Candlestick triage center meeting March 17 outcome Reply with quote

Thank you for the update, it is kind interesting how DPW confuses the issues.

One is Candlestick Park, that belong to the State and is outside any jurisdiction from the city. The other is Hunters Point Expressway, that does not "belong" to "three parties" (it is not a private road!), but it managed and under the responsibility of San Francisco DPW.

Anyway, is there a way to get in a mailing list or access a site that give information for these meeting?

Thank you!
Davide
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me check with these folks.

You can sign up to sfbaywaters@googlegroups.com and I will keep emailing with the updates.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been in contact with the SF BCDC? One of the few agencies where water recreation is one of the stated priorities. I believe they were instrumental in preserving oyster point and sierra point access

https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmaher2045 wrote:
Has anyone been in contact with the SF BCDC? One of the few agencies where water recreation is one of the stated priorities. I believe they were instrumental in preserving oyster point and sierra point access

https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/

I spoke to Andrew from SFBA, he did mention that it could be in their valley.
The inquiry is in progress, I will update with the details as soon as I have more to say.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These is going to a BDDC meeting 4/7. I am going to submit an email comment emphasizing bay access and compliance under title IV. Works be nice if I could include a list of names in my email. Thanks. Vasco.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed, but not surprised, at the amount of work you guys are putting into this effort. As I've found out when dealing with the National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife, the Corps of Engineers and BLM at local and federal levels, various tribes, courts, and states in matters like these, detailed knowledge of their rules, constraints, obligations, ownerships, problems, and solutions, etc. can go a long ways towards overcoming their inertia and outright stubbornness. They have no idea what sailing and access mean to us until we demonstrate it with knowledge, logic, effort, and commitment, and it may actually matter to some of them.

Keep up the fight, good luck, and be glad (I hope) you're not dealing with the RRs.

Mike \m/
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent a public comment by email to the BCDC by email - they will be having public zoom meeting on April 7th. Details on their website

====================================

Public – comment
Loss of Bay access at Candlestick Recreation Area in San Francisco - public meeting April 7, 2022

Thank you for allowing me to add a concern to your public meeting which I hope you can address.

Hunters Point expressway by Candlestick Point Recreation Area San Francisco is now closed so parking is only available in the state park. The state park closes at five o'clock so water access for locals, fishermen and windsurfers is reduced before five o’clock and eliminated after five o’clock. I am a windsurfer who has been using this spot for over forty years and have watched usage increase tremendously over the years. People use it for walking, hiking, bicycling, picnicking and for general recreation. On warm days people even swim. Once we were promised this would be the second “Crissy field” of San Francisco.

As a windsurfer, Candlestick is the only flat-water windsurfing spot in San Francisco and as such is a very popular as a place to learn to windsurf, windfoil and wingsurf as well as boating, stand up paddling and enjoying nature. It also provides advanced wind sports opportunities because of the high winds generated here. The high winds are usually in the late afternoon so we would like to be able to park after five o’clock.

For the last couple of years the RV's took over the Hunter’s Point expressway but it was fine for water sports and other uses because we shared usage and parking with the less fortunate. Over the winter SF removed the RV's and moved some of them to the Triage center in Candlestick park. After they removed the RV's they closed the road so there is no longer parking outside of the state park. Even parking in the state park means a much harder and longer walk to carry equipment to the launch area resulting in much less usage.

Candlestick Point \Recreation Area provides some of the only bay and water access to the southern part of San Francisco. The reason given for closing the road is activity by some bad actors such as garbage dumping. I believe having fewer but not more people leads to more problems. I can't imagine any other park or bay access in another part of the city that could be closed like this. Does anyone think they would restrict bay access anywhere else in San Francisco because of dumping? How about any other park in San Francisco? Let them keep this closed and every time there's a problem in the future the answer may be to just remove access and punish the innocent instead of trying the solve the problem.

Reducing and restricting access to the Candlestick Recreation area is wrong. In addition to being wrong on general principles it is socially inequitable because of the greater impact it has on the Bayview/Hunters point community.

I ask that the BCDC please address this problem both in general and in particular the social inequities generated by reducing bay recreation access to the Bayview/Hunters point community. Also please let me know what I can personally do to help fix this and if you know any persons or organizations I should contact directly

Vasco Maher
vascomaher@gmail.com
If you need my direct number please contact me by email.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmaher2045 wrote:
Sent a public comment by email to the BCDC by email - they will be having public zoom meeting on April 7th. Details on their website

Thank you Vasco. For everybody: there is also the possibility to join the meeting via Zoom. Participants are allowed to ask questions/comments with a 3' limit (15' total time limit, so just a few people can talk). Find the Zoom link and instructions at: https://www.bcdc.ca.gov/cm/2022/04-07-agenda.html the Meeting is at 1:00 PM PST, today. April 7, 2021.

Next two meetings: April 21 and May 5. Comments in writing are recommended and must be received by 10 am on the day of the meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: