myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
230 lbs. sail size to plane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience:
Modern sails bigger than 9.5m aren't earlier planing, just offer better VMG which isn't really what your board is built for.
If planing time is your ultimate goal then a much lighter, wider board and learning to pump is the best bet (other than foiling).
If maintaining high average speeds is the goal then I'd look at a raceboard. They still plane pretty well and you can do deep downwind runs because the centerboard will get you back upwind. I'm slowly transitioning away from trying to foil on the really marginal days and returning to raceboard.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my experience also. Anything past 9.5 doesn't get you any earlier planning.

-Craig

grantmac017 wrote:
My experience:
Modern sails bigger than 9.5m aren't earlier planing, just offer better VMG which isn't really what your board is built for.
If planing time is your ultimate goal then a much lighter, wider board and learning to pump is the best bet (other than foiling).
If maintaining high average speeds is the goal then I'd look at a raceboard. They still plane pretty well and you can do deep downwind runs because the centerboard will get you back upwind. I'm slowly transitioning away from trying to foil on the really marginal days and returning to raceboard.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water depth issues have kept me from embracing foiling too quicklu.

race boards, long boards, big sails and pumping technique is keeping my light wind florida sailing alive.

upwind, an 11 vs a 12.5 ain't much different, but downwind, the bigger sail rules. sorry, grantmac, it is about horse power, period.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know plenty of foilers in Florida, depth of water is a lazy excuse to not learn something new.

As to sail size: I said sails bigger than 9.5 were just about VMG so you're agreeing with me in a way that makes it sound like you aren't, guess you just like arguing?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watch plenty of foilers. they spend quite a lot of time walking, slogging and bumping out to deeper water. if it was less of a PITA, i would have joined right in on the next blingy thing. yup, call me lazy.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
water depth issues have kept me from embracing foiling too quicklu.

race boards, long boards, big sails and pumping technique is keeping my light wind florida sailing alive.

upwind, an 11 vs a 12.5 ain't much different, but downwind, the bigger sail rules. sorry, grantmac, it is about horse power, period.

True that--as long as you don't drop the 12.5.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to post James Douglas' sail calculator
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
for 11 knots a 12.5 sail is suggested @ 230 lbs
8.5 m² sail for about 15 knots
7 meter for about 20 knots
i can sail and uphaul a 10 m² sail - not so sure I would want to try anything larger

and foiling is NOT for everyone
a few locals are trying to sell their stuff after less than one season and it is $$$
wsatl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
i can sail and uphaul a 10 m² sail - not so sure I would want to try anything larger

a few locals are trying to sell their stuff after less than one season and it is $$$

No foilers at my local are selling whether after less than one or four seasons. Almost wish they were as we have a lot of demand for good, used kit.

If one buys crap/ first gen or inappropriate gear and tries to mate it to a 20 yr old board, the odds of success, however, drop significantly.
sa_al

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsatl wrote:
joethewindsufa wrote:

No foilers at my local are selling whether after less than one or four seasons. Almost wish they were as we have a lot of demand for good, used kit.

If one buys crap/ first gen or inappropriate gear and tries to mate it to a 20 yr old board, the odds of success, however, drop significantly.

I am 230 lbs and used to ride formula gear with 11 m sail. Since I lost my strength with aging (now 64), I decided to learn foiling. Now my biggest sail is 7.0 using Armstrong foil 2400 but I had similar experience with Slingshot 99 foil. Both of these foils are easier to learn. Despite I have been very good riding these foils, it has been difficult to switch to race foil so far. Therefore, it is very critical to start with user friendly foil board and foil. In summary, foil will help you to use smaller sail. Otherwise you need 11 m sail, wide board to plane on 12 mph wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: