myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
O'Neill Psycho 1 4/3 or O'Neill Heat 4/3 Thoughts Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss59

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a spanner into the works, I'm 6'1 and around 185lbs and an O'neill Psycho 4/3 in Medium Tall (MT) fits me perfectly! I have zipless which I wouldn't bother with again and just stick to a chest zip
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if O'Neil's QC isn't out to lunch. However, I've tested, owned, and/or tried on at least a dozen O'Neils, and every one was FAR smaller than their size charts recommended. Their U.S. importer agreed.

No insinuations about ss59's experience, but it does make me wonder if some folks have never experienced the joy of owning a neoprene suit that actually FIT them. We all know some of them; they expend more time and effort and sweat putting their wetsuit on OR off than rigging AND de-rigging a wave sail. For me, only a suit that I step into, yank up to my waist, stick my arms into, pop over my head, and zip up without tools or assistance ... fits, and only IF it slips off my damned heel effortlessly at the end of the day. Anything else is a PITA waiting to be replaced.

I recently bought a new wetsuit of a size and type I already had two of. Why? Because it slips on and off almost like snug PJs. Imagine my surprise when it also kept me FAR drier than those other two suits. It's thinner, but is noticeably warmer and more comfortable. Win/win/win/win ... and two swap meet buyers got a helluva deal on the suits it replaced.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. Wait a minute. How does any wetsuit slip off your darned heel effortlessly?!!! Well maybe ones that have zippers at the bottom of the leg, but I do not think most O'Neill's do. Or else maybe my heel is not hinged like other peoples' heels. But the hardest part of donning or exiting a wetsuit for me has been getting it off of the heel.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try having size 11 feet, but for surfing Ocean Beach, Small Tall wetsuits.
ROLL it off.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Wait. Wait a minute. How does any wetsuit slip off your darned heel effortlessly?!!! Well maybe ones that have zippers at the bottom of the leg, but I do not think most O'Neill's do. Or else maybe my heel is not hinged like other peoples' heels. But the hardest part of donning or exiting a wetsuit for me has been getting it off of the heel.

I fully agree, especially when tired. My ankles' total range of vertical angular motion is about 45 degrees. I've tried several solutions to that end-of-day nightmare, including:
1. Having Promotion add ankle zippers.
2. Panty hose.
3. WetSox brand neoprene socks.
4. Refusing to buy suits that don't come off the ankle fairly easily.
5. Skin lube.
6. Cutting the last inch or two off of each cuff of a new neoprene dry suit on which the manufacturer boasted about its super-seal cuff design.
7. Buying only super-stretchy suits lined with low-friction material and only after removing them while wet before buying them.

In this case, by "slip off", I don't mean by gravity or like an oversized sock or a pair of slippers. I DO mean simply peeling or pulling the cuff off in 3-4 seconds with minimal effort or planning and no energy bars. Compared to many suits I've tried that take several minutes of 100% effort, extensive swearing, 2 or 3 rest breaks, gouged ankles, and sprained thumbs ... PER FOOT ... this thing just slips off.

I still like zippers best. They work, and they are hassle free.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha....
Still remember 8th grade, Jr high track and basketball, size 7 shoes, 65 lbs, 4'3". Guys said I had big feet.
Been wearing size 11 booties for 50 years now....
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have a hard time getting their feet in and out of wetsuits, go with wetsuits designed for surfing. However, the downside is water shooting in while sailing and becoming a Michelin man below your knees. I've helped avoid this fate by using velcro straps tightened around my ankles
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....
I surfed for 25 years, sold surf suits for 20 of those.
No suit is plain tighter in the ankles than surf suits designed for mid Cal, to Washington waters.
My ST's had ankle diameters smaller than my wrist. I usually had M suits in hand for point breaks or anything besides OBSF.
Size 11 booties.
Almost 50% of customers complained about tiny ankles in the suits they tried on.
39 years of windsurfing, mostly M and L sizing, maybe had a total of 5 days with water in legs.
This includes 500 days sailing in surf.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....
I surfed for 25 years, sold surf suits for 20 of those.
No suit is plain tighter in the ankles than surf suits designed for mid Cal, to Washington waters.
My ST's had ankle diameters smaller than my wrist. I usually had M suits in hand for point breaks or anything besides OBSF.
Size 11 booties.
Almost 50% of customers complained about tiny ankles in the suits they tried on.
39 years of windsurfing, mostly M and L sizing, maybe had a total of 5 days with water in legs.
This includes 500 days sailing in surf.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about double post.
Server "unable" to process 1st post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: