myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Toll to Access TI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: The BOS Reply with quote

mac wrote:
San Francisco cannot impose a toll without legislation passing that gives them authority.
Said legislation would fall on the BOS if I am not mistaken. Comment from the cheap seats: If TIDA is in a position anything like the Transbay JPA used to, the BOS is simply going to pass whatever is politically expedient to keep each supervisor's political career going for after they're terming out. It'll be interesting - they'll either pursue killing the plan b/c Haney's supporting it, or they push it in an effort to stick a (punishing) toll into Haney's district.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jpf—the State Legislature, not the BOS would have to create the authority. But I see this proposal as fully inconsistent with the boundary settlement reached with the State Lands Commission. Makes an interesting read, https://www.slc.ca.gov/Programs/Granted_Lands/G11_San_Francisco_County/G11-02_Treasure_Island_Development_Authority/AD599.pdf
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update, and it is unsettling. I got a heads up about a meeting tomorrow at 9:00, and I would encourage everyone who gets this in time to attend and comment.

Here is the link to the agenda: https://www.sfcta.org/sites/default/files/2021-11/TIMMA_Committee_Packet_2021-11-09.pdf

This is the Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency (TIMMA), which apparently has already been granted the authority to levy a toll, by the Treasure Island Transportation Management Act of 2008. I found this on line, here is the link: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB141

The bottom line is that San Francisco, upon a recommendation by TIMMA, apparently has the authority to levy a toll for purposes of congestion management. The toll is intended to provide some of the funding needed for the ferry to San Francisco and AC Transit service from the East Bay. Nothing in the staff report to TIMMA, or the legislation, mentions recreational trips, which are minor in comparison to the potential commute trips of the thousands of new residences.

I cannot attend the virtual meeting. Someone representing our interests needs to attend and address the impact on recreational users. I suggest you be short and sweet and say something like this:

The State Lands Commission approved a settlement that allows residential development on filled land at Treasure Island. This settlement was reached in exchange for a commitment by the developers of Treasure Island to provide the rest of the land for park and recreation purposes, and to maintain that land.

The people who travel to Treasure Island for recreational purposes do not travel at peak commute times, yet if this proposal goes forward, will be asked to pay for the commutes of well off residents. While we support the idea of congestion management, particularly for commute trips, it doesn't make sense to apply this to recreational trips for people traveling to the island to sail, windsurf, fish, or simply walk along the new promenade. The amount of potential recreational traffic is very small in comparison to the commute trips of the new residents.

We believe that this proposal will privatize the public areas, making them available to residents free of charge. Charging the public who does not live on what were once public tidelands, is fundamentally inconsistent with the settlement reached by the State Lands Commission and with the commitments made by the developers and TIDA during the entitlement process.
radross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 3 windsurfers and a kiter "show-up" for the Treasure island Mobility Management Agency [TIMMA] meeting this a.m., including Bill Robberson from the SFBA. Thanks SFBA!

Uncertain we moved the needle towards a toll waiver for non-motorized windsport access, but seems important to show up and it was easy to participate as it is remote. Please share this with any wingers, kiters, SUP down-winders, foilers, kayakers or any other non-motorized water users who may want/need access to the Bay from TI.

Next meeting is Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.:

"Come share your thoughts/questions at TIMMA's virtual outreach event on Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021.

We’ll be presenting information about our proposed rates, discounts, and hours for the Treasure Island toll. We’ll also have information about:
• New or expanded bus and ferry service
• Transit passes
Virtual meeting info
Date: Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021
Time: 5pm - 6pm
Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81853321173
Meeting ID: 818 5332 1173
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)"
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross-I understand the toll is a means to address congestion at the bridge on and off ramps once several thousand new residents are added to the island. I wonder if there is not a mutually agreeable solution here whereby the toll would only be in effect during morning Monday to Friday commute hours to discourage commuting by car. That is when congestion would theoretically be highest. If there were no tolls in the afternoons during the week and no tolls on the weekends, that sure seems like something we could work with no?

I think the strategy of pushing hard for no tolls for recreational users at all is the right approach right now, but if there is an ability to compromise in the future, we might be able to help our cause immensely.

And props to everyone who attended this meeting!
radross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig-

From the meeting this a.m., and in TIMMA's info packet, "peak hours" are 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., on weekdays. This is when the toll is proposed to be $5.00 to get on and $5.00 to get off the island.

On weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., the toll is proposed at $2.50 to get on and $2.50 to get off the island.

The current proposal is no toll after 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and no toll after 8:00 p.m. on weekends.

All tolls, to begin in 2024, are subject to adjustments at TIMMA's discretion to achieve 50% or better "mode share performance goals during peak hours," and "maintain financial sustainability," of the alternative transportation, which I suppose are the buses, ferries and shuttles that really are unable to accommodate windsurfers, wingers, kayakers, SUP's, etc.

TIMMA's concept is for you to take a bus or ferry from SF or a bus from Oakland to a transit center, and then board a shuttle that will take you around the island. The current proposed route for the shuttle on "Day 1, 2024" goes nowhere near the n.e. corner. And, unlike Coyote or Sherman, there are no amenities when (and if) you get there with your gear, nor any way to secure your personal belongings while on the water.

The only reference to recreation by the TIMMA staff today was recognizing people using the soccer/lacrosse/rugby fields. Nothing about non-motorized water/wind sports, even though parking and access for non-motorized water sports on the n.e. corner of TI is an express part of the SF Bay Plan issued by the SF Bay Conservation and Development Commission.

I may be reading it incorrectly and I am no policy wonk, but the toll is not only to manage congestion but also to fund shortfalls in improving/providing transit infrastructure. So for the privilege of recreating on the State's tidelands, the non-motorized water sport enthusiasts are subsidizing commuters and picking up some of the externalized cost of the TI development.

TIMMA when under pressure already made a toll waiver for current residents. They are proposing a 50% fee reduction if you are low income.

Of course, there is room for compromise and really good things to happen [like a concession to securely store our boards, rigs and wetsuits like at the Cal Sailing Club or maybe even a porta-potty] at what is a world class windsurfing and winging site...but right now it seems like we are late to the party and compromise ain't gonna happen if we don't show up at TIMMA out-reach and board meetings and then the Board of Supervisors meetings. In the age of zoom/covid, "showing up" is really easy.

Ross
radross

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIMMA just changed the start time for the November 17, 2021, "virtual outreach event," from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ross. I will try to attend the next meeting. What they are currently proposing is outrageous.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
What they are currently proposing is outrageous.
Concur, quite onerous, but not surprising given the current political environment, the plan/agenda reads: "The TIMMA Board may periodically adjust the Toll Rate Schedule, ... to meet equity and affordability goals, and meet mode share performance goals of 50% or more at peak periods". So this means TIMMA reserves the right to dial up tolls as they see fit until they count enough bodies taking public transportation.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a letter that will object. But it really boils down to this being a double cross. Here’s what they said in their final EIR:

Quote:
Visitors to the Islands, high-occupancy vehicles, and Coast Guard-related vehicles would not be charged a congestion pricing fee. FEIR, page IV.E.45
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: