myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge etiquette review: SHARE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Gorge etiquette review: SHARE Reply with quote

The key word is "SHARE".

Share parking.
Share the rigging area.
Share the water.
Share safety.

Make a friend!

To elaborate, don't hog more than one parking spot.
If somebody needs a parking space and one can be made, help out and try to make one. You could be making a friend.
If parking is scarce, don't "pose" all day; consider leaving or at least re-parking.
If you're done with your session for sure, consider de-rigging.
It ultimately doesn't matter who has right of way; make space on the water, avoid collisions at all cost.
If you collide, hang around and render assistance.
Look upwind and downwind. A lot. Especially when there are big swells. A lot of craft surfing downwind; make way! A lot of craft on the water are small. And anybody who is down in the water is extra small in swell. So turn your head around. A lot. And look around.
If you're tired or struggling, consider getting off the water. YOU could be a hazard.

*If somebody is down or you find a craft with no human, take some good hard looks around. Somebody might need help. Render aid asap. We've all got plenty of sessions behind and ahead of us. You won't regret this. You might regret NOT rendering aid.
anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Biff baby. We can use the occasional refresher.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time they had the Downwind Champs was a complete cluster. Skamania didn't know what was going on because it was out of HR. You'd report boats flipping down the river on their own and we only found out later they would rescue the paddler but not the boat. Rolling Eyes
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder. There's a lot of different craft out on the water and not everyone understands the dynamics and limitations of each craft. Be safe and have an awesome summer!
bobsmithna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...thanks for the reminder! Getting in and out of the water with my tender tootsies, I sometime am oblivious to my surroundings.

One thing I might add: With all the new Wing-Things (aren't they hard to lugg in and out of the water? Ouch!), we could clear out and not loiter in the water at the "landing strip" at the base of Luhrs ramp. And also not dump our boards and sails at our very first step onto the lawn, such that everyone else has to stagger thru the mine field. Maybe off to the side or in back? Final nit-pick then I'll shut up: The carpet at the base of the ramp is the white zone for loading and unloading passengers only. Not for parking your foil for hours. OK..I'm done...sorry for the"lecture".
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I've always found problematic is that some folks that sail barefoot abandon their flip-flops or shoes in the pathways entering and exiting the water. Who wants to dodge this kind of stuff carrying your rig to and from the water? A much better, and more thoughtful solution is to stash your footwear well clear of the pathways to the water.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
One thing that I've always found problematic is that some folks that sail barefoot abandon their flip-flops or shoes in the pathways entering and exiting the water. Who wants to dodge this kind of stuff carrying your rig to and from the water? A much better, and more thoughtful solution is to stash your footwear well clear of the pathways to the water.

Yeah, this won't change; it would defeat the purpose of the sandal footwear. So keep on dodging! (And I'm not a flip-flopper justifying his own behavior.) Off topic, and I know it's not very macho, but I encourage on-board slippers and booties. Good grip, you get used to the rubber layer. And far fewer broken toes and cuts. Gold standard for warm water is the O'Neill Superfreak Split Toe. They last a couple years for most people.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to solve these issues is to drive East.. After a few hectic hours at the Hatch , a session at the Wall or Arlington seems like Hell skiing ..
bobsmithna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is either my secret weapon OR confirmation of my weird-ness...your choice: I clip a caribeaner to my harness strap and clip my flops in there after I get into the water. That way my flops are always with me no matter where I wash up. (Hope I'm not starting to sound too much like Isobars here...sorry.)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few seasons you don't have to drive much past Doug's
to get away from the crowd. Partially due to the closed Canadian boarder this year,
but also due to the general aging and die-off of Windsurfers/Kiters. Some
replacement from Wingers and foil boarders, but most of them I see are
converts (and aged) rather than new blood.

-Craig

p.s. I've also done some Hell skiing on
rain rotted snow and in death cookies, but I know what you meant ;*)

p.p.s. A couple of barefoot years in the Gorge converted me to a bootie man.

boggsman1 wrote:
One way to solve these issues is to drive East.. After a few hectic hours at the Hatch , a session at the Wall or Arlington seems like Hell skiing ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: