myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning to Foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
My dedicated Naish foil board is is 73 cm wide. And it works great. The trend now is toward narrower boards for free ride foiling with small sails but wide boards for racing with large sails..

Well one of the two. You can use a windsurf board you own and save money as you suggested. But you better reinforce the tuttle box, and you will have to move the straps, as I did for this board for a friend of mine.

Or you get a foil specific board. In that case I would strongly advise a beginner to get a big board, not a narrow one. But no matter what you get it means you are back to spend $3000-4000 total.

IMG_0676s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.25 KB
 Viewed:  8180 Time(s)

IMG_0676s.jpg

IMG_0675s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.24 KB
 Viewed:  8180 Time(s)

IMG_0675s.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work...I don't do well with sticky stuff
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm foiling on boards that cost <$400 with foils that are <$1000, not holding me back at all.
You can get foils that fit tuttle, deep tuttle or PB boards now.

Foiling isn't harder on the body, I find the opposite compared to anything except maybe flat water blasting.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find windfoiling less demanding than sailing. Although, I am falling from a height quite often and I seem to crash more often with foiling, especially in the learning phase.

Winging is certainly easier to learn and the crashes seem a little more forgiving as there is much less of the catapulting that you can get sailing. More catapulting on windfoil versus windsurfing.

Maybe I am not used to it but I get the biggest workout on my slalom gear, exhausted much earlier and much more muscle soreness the next day. But I think you are more concerned about suffering injury to your hip from some kind of fall or crash.

Winging also has the issue of not being able to waterstart (pros can I guess) or uphaul. To start the wing you have to clamber onto the board and start off kneeling, some people find this challenging on zee knees. Windfoiling you can either water start or uphaul (not too bad as our windfoiling sails tend to be smaller).

Also, once you get by the learning phase, I think your crash rate in foiling is proportional to the challenge of the conditions you ride in and what you are trying to do. Recently I have been focusing on foiling switch and foiling clew first (not at the same time, I think) and I have collided heavily with the boom twice and put a hole in my sail. Point is: if I wanted to take things easy, cruise along in relatively flat water and gybe, I would rarely come off the foil, so it can be pretty chill (same for wing I guess too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: