myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer Unaccounted For - Sail Found Near Treasure Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Windsurfer Unaccounted For - Sail Found Near Treasure Island Reply with quote

This info was initially was posted yesterday, Saturday 6/19 but the post was moved to the Lost & Found section.

***Please do not move to lost and found***

This is being reposted because the owner of the Yellow/Green Neil Pryde 5.3 Combat sail has not been located. The sail was found adrift north of Treasure Island and the Coast Guard has an open case.

Coast Guard conducted small boat searches of the area where the sail was found but suspended the search pending more information. Please share this info in hopes of finding that the sailor returned to shore without the sail and is safe. If we can confirm this, USCG can close the case. If there is any information indicating that someone may still be out there please post it here and you can also call USCG Command Center at 415-399-3530 to provide info.

*** Also***

Please always remember to advise USCG if you lost gear is adrift offshore and call them if you have reason to believe you may have been reported missing once you have made it to shore. This can avoid costly searches and keep crews fresh for cases where search and rescue is required to save lives.

Please mark your gear with your name and phone number so cases can be quickly resolved if your gear is found and you are safely ashore... also a good way to get your gear back.

img958445_685.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.34 KB
 Viewed:  16502 Time(s)

img958445_685.jpg

ccaven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coast Guard says this case is closed. One of the TI sailors saw a guy paddling a board in yesterday so I guess sailor in question survived.[/b]
pthorner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that part... sounds like good news. It would still be good if the owner confirmed they were safe and hopefully got their gear back. Did you get that direct from the Coast Guard?
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to know what happened here. if he is indeed OK then that's great but......
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should be marking all their gear. And reporting all lost gear to the CG and reporting yourself safe.
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus maybe using two-bolt mast base so that separation and lost sail less likely??
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did base break? Deliberately separated?
I'd worry more if it was a board found.
radross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add here. I believe (and hope?) I was the last one off the water at TI on Sat., at about 6:15 p.m. Didn't see anyone swimming or paddling, and I don't recognize the sail or boom in the picture. Do want to give a shout out to Aaron, a kiter who lives on TI and frequents Crissy, for driving by about 7:00 p.m., to check for the CG if there were any unattended windsurfer vehicles in the parking areas (there were none).

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: