myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thrusters, harness lines and crabbing/cavitating
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: thrusters, harness lines and crabbing/cavitating Reply with quote

I am trying a goya 3 with 20 center and 10 thrusters (2x). I have read through all the past posts on single fin vs multi fin for the gorge. I think I am a back foot rider used to single fins and probably too short of harness lines. I initially found the board to crab (front of board slightly upwind) with me fighting the board to track straight when planing. Moving the mast track forward interestingly made it worse so I moved it back to center. I then went from 26” lines (I am 6’3”) to adjustable 28 to 34 in lines and tried to concentrate more on evening out the pressure on my feet. I think this helped significantly, but I am clearly not dialed in. Some have recommended to not lean out with the longer lines, but bend my knees to get weight on the harness lines, but then that feels like a lot of pressure on my legs and does not feel natural. Plus it is exhausting. I am wondering if my battle is the board vs. me having to adjust my ingrained sailing stance. I have my sail dialed in and balanced and I have the harness lines now to a point where they go from elbow to just past the base of my fingers. They are a hand a and a half wide on the boom.

I need help. Have others gone through this transition?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either dump all your other boards and exclusively ride new school...and also foil.........
Or dump that 20 center fin for a freestyle wave 26 and have great sailing....
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that board but if a new board is that hard to get used to it is probably not designed for what you want. I know it has been discussed ad nauseam here but Gorge swells are not ocean waves and a wave board is not necessarily the best for high wind swell riding.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several Goya boards, most of the tri-fin variety. I find the stock fin is often too short for all but exceptional riders. A 2-3cm increase in fin length is often much more appropriate IMO.
I think you are a good rider based on seeing previous posts, but you don't really talk about the conditions you are sailing in. I would be happy to talk to you about it in person sometime if you are interested. 541-806-7838 call or text and we can connect. Peace.
GarryW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fighting with the new design boards for three years now and I continue to struggle with it. I've read numerous articles and no matter what I try I can't get the board to pop up on a plane. I've tried single and multi fins set ups but to no avail. Other people seem to have no issues when they try my boards so it must be pilot error
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor is boom height. If you're sailing with long lines, moving up the boom height and increasing mast foot pressure really creates good maneuverability and power.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't press laterally across your board with your back foot, instead press down with your back toes like trying press on the gas pedal of your car.

Coachg
nada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same adaptive process, but it was lack of planing rather than crabbing that was the issue and I'm an old skool "back footer."

I combined several of the above recs: longer lines, higher boom placement, longer center fin (2/3 cm over stock), shorter side bites (1/2 cm under stock) and it worked.

My read is that the fin swap made the biggest difference as I did this on my wife's board and she noticed the improvement right away and she's far from technical.

Agree with SurferSteve above on stock multi-fin configurations - they all seem overly "skatey" to me out of the box. If you look at the old Real Wind's or Brian's Open Oceans, they all came with bigger skegs and shorter side bites. You didn't note what volume your Goya was, but I'm running a 21 + 10s on a 94 liter, so maybe boost the center to start?

K4s (Chinook sells em) are solid and a cheap way to mess around while you dial this in - good luck!
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 wave has as much area as 26 fsw fins....
vientomas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Starboard Evo 66 ltr to a Goya One 64 ltr. Evo had a flexy single fin and the One is a tri fin. Boom height, mast base placement and harness lines have not changed position. The distance between foot straps is about the same, maybe a little closer together on the One.

It took about a day to get comfortable on the One. For me, it required putting more pressure on the front foot and weighting the top of the board as opposed to the rail of the board when reaching. Basically keeping the hull flat on the water with equal weight on both feet. I find it's a more dynamic position and one has to pay attention more so than on a single fin board with the weight on the back foot driving a large fin. The One seems to jibe best with weight well forward too.

I love how the One sails. Fast to plane, super loose, goes upwind well and is very comfortable through the chop. I hope the OP can make it work because the boards are awesome in their stock form. The fins that came with the board are designed for the board. I would not change them out, but that's just me. Maybe give Pascal at Goya a call and see if he has any suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: