myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windfoiling on a Tahe( Bic) Beach board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Windfoiling on a Tahe( Bic) Beach board Reply with quote

I'd like to get into Windfoiling, but I cannot afford the $ 2000 + prices of the new dedicated boards. I tried looking for traditional ( pre-foiling) boards on the used market but I can't find any, at least here in Canada.

I may have to buy a new board, because the one I have ( a Bic Windsup ) has a US fin Box, which is not made for foiling. It is reasonably priced at around $ 1600 and has a Deep Tuttle finbox, which should be strong enough for a foil. The Tahe Beach is the same as the former Bic Techno. Could I use this for foiling?

Thanks

Ittiandro

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big winds board shop is showing the 2020 Naish windsurf foil board 125 and 145 for around $1400 ish. The main thing on these boards is the adjustable foil track. This makes it easier to get all things balanced for a stable flight.
A dedicated foil board has the geometry ( foot strap, mast track and foil mount) set up for foiling. That said, you can foil on just about any board as long as it has a foil mount strong enough to hold up to the forces of foiling..
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my board.
$500
Light weight and in great condition.
Used 1/2 season. Excellent and
forgiving board to learn to windsurf
foil.Features a flat rocker which
planes easily in light winds. Its
short, parallel outline provides plenty
of volume and stability for easy and
stable uphaul. Complimenting its flat
rocker, the bottom channel in the tail
is strategically positioned to perfect
the foil’s angle of attack and generate
just enough lift in the nose to guard
against pearling.Carbon construction
sandwich.
Check Iwindsurf, Classified, Windsurf Boards, Foil Boards
http://www.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.iws
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
Not my board.
$500
Light weight and in great condition.
Used 1/2 season.
Check Iwindsurf, Classified, Windsurf Boards, Foil Boards
http://www.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.iws

Goodwind, I am in Canada. Even if I wanted to buy, it may unpractical to bring it into Canada. Thanks anyway.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref my previous post regarding the Bic/Tahe Beach board. Somebody is now selling locally a Starboard Compact 126.
I wonder if anybody has feedback on this board for beginning foiling on it. The price is very reasonable ( $ 500 CDN). It is very wide and supposedly stable.
I'd go for it, but for the fact that I don't know if it is floaty enough for my weight ( 90 kg) t, also because I want to be able to uphaul.
Ideally I would prefer a 140, but may be a 126 will do, because of its geometry: short but wide almost from front to rear.

Thanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

158 lbs, foiling for 3rd season.
Honestly, get a bigger board. If you need to slog to windline, if you get days the wind just dies below 10.
Been on Naish 122. When I slog out, around 300 yards here at Berkeley, the deck of my board at the rear strap is 1-1.5" underwater. That's not a lot of float. My 95 liter slalom board floats about the same. And Naish foils are the lightest weight alu mast and fuze foils made.
I windsurf when breeze hits 20 mph...5.0 and 95 liter board.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty old board. Not sure the fin box will hold up to foiling. At your weight you really do need more volume to up haul. 126 is do able if your athletic and younger. Foiling is really fun and gets you out and flying in way less wind. If you truly want to learn get a foil board. Exocet has a 132 foil board that isn't very expensive. $1299 several 200 lb. guys here have them and say they are easy to up haul and get flying. You might even be able to find a new 2019 one for $999. That is the way to go in my opinion. Check Windance board shop..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: