myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vulcan / Air Jibe!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhakman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
erikhakman wrote:
Having a good boss is crucial.

That, or one you don't respect enough to kowtow to even if he IS a colonel.

Or that.

Hope you've gotten lots of good sessions in recently man!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikhakman wrote:
Hope you've gotten lots of good sessions in recently man!

I wish! I've driven > 1,000 miles to snag 3 hours of sailing this season. Where I sail, we've mostly had either not enough wind for my 6.2 or too much for my 3.4, with rapid transitions between the two and often a 500 to 800 meter wind shadow I'm no longer willing to fight.

One bud recently had a pile of 5 or 6 sails rigged in a vain attempt to get in a 30-minute session, while others including myself gave up at two or three sails and some didn't even show up. Partially rigged sails lying around are not uncommon as sailors try to rig fast enough to catch a short session and/or pirate parts from one rig to rig yet another as the wind comes and goes. I've paid those dues, am no longer wiling to fight Mother Nature that hard, and got my licks in during 20-30 years of much higher quality winds before this northwesterly tilt began to dominate.

Thursday, for example, looked good on the screen: about 30 mph average most of the afternoon -- good 4.2 stuff, I thought. But noooooooo. 4.2 was the right sail, but an hour of nuthin' but chop got boring real fast. I and several other locals left it to the vacationers who have to cram their season into a week or two.

No need to commiserate, and no apologies for my seeming so negative. After 30 years of chasing wind full time with great success, my cup runneth over. I've earned the right to cherry pick, and I'm fairly content to let the younger (and healthier) sailors bust their asses for short sessions.

It's also heartwarming to see highly stoked "kids" — anyone under 50, from my perspective -- like you and several others here work the crowd so eagerly. This sport isn’t dead … it’s just spread more thinly among ever-increasing variations on its theme of wind-powered individual toys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: