myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vulcan / Air Jibe!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhakman

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Vulcan / Air Jibe! Reply with quote

Had time to drop a few more how to's and here's the latest one!

VULCAN AIR JIBE TUTORIAL
https://youtu.be/u6HOVGe-jV0
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, Erik -- You are one talented dude. Lots of guys and gals can freestyle like there's no tomorrow ('cause there IS no tomorrow!), but combining that with your outstanding, crystal clear tutorial videos puts you right over the top. Almost ... ALMOST ... makes me wanna go out and try a Vulcan despite being 77, hobbled, and dizzy. Keep up the good work!
erikhakman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Holy crap, Erik -- You are one talented dude. Lots of guys and gals can freestyle like there's no tomorrow ('cause there IS no tomorrow!), but combining that with your outstanding, crystal clear tutorial videos puts you right over the top. Almost ... ALMOST ... makes me wanna go out and try a Vulcan despite being 77, hobbled, and dizzy. Keep up the good work!

Wow, thank you! Really appreciate the nice words! And great to hear that you like the tutorials so much. I bet you could still get the Vulcan if you wanted to!

What kind of moves would you wanna see next?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this stage, I'd be quite satisfied to walk across the lawn without staggering and probably falling. Maybe in my next go-around. Smile

Mike \m/

erikhakman wrote:
I bet you could still get the Vulcan if you wanted to! What kind of moves would you wanna see next?
erikhakman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
At this stage, I'd be quite satisfied to walk across the lawn without staggering and probably falling. Maybe in my next go-around. Smile

Mike \m/

erikhakman wrote:
I bet you could still get the Vulcan if you wanted to! What kind of moves would you wanna see next?

Gotcha! Are you still getting out on the water every now and then or do you stick to watching the action from the beach?
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great instructional video! I really like how you show they key segments multiple times (forward/reverse the video several times).

Question for you ... what is the largest liter board you have popped in flat water? How about fin size? I am usually running larger sails, boards, and fins because of generally lighter winds.
erikhakman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
Great instructional video! I really like how you show they key segments multiple times (forward/reverse the video several times).

Question for you ... what is the largest liter board you have popped in flat water? How about fin size? I am usually running larger sails, boards, and fins because of generally lighter winds.

Thanks! Happy you like the concept! I've got a few more moves online on my Youtube channel already so check those out for more tips n tricks!

I think I've managed to get the fin out the water once or twice on my 160L beginner board when coaching rookies, but apart from that my experience with big boards is very limited. It takes some work but it's doable!

There's a huge benefit to centered straps for popping, and jumping in general. Raceboards with outboard straps usually don't let you get your weight as upright and over the board as a center strap setup, and this makes it harder to really load up the tail (you won't be able to sink the tail/lift the nose as much and have the board pop back out as explosively).

As for fin size, a small fin will make things a whole lot easier!

When it comes to technique, I'd focus on an explosive pop and really extending the boom overhead. Try to get lift that nose as much as possible before you start tucking up for the aerial!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could "pop" -- i.e., get the whole board and fin out of the water -- my 12+ foot, 240 liter longboard with about a 7 meter sail on mirror flat water simply by rolling the planing board to expose its underbelly to the wind while lifting with both feet. I thought nothing of it until I came ashore and looky-loos expressed awe at it. That was circa 1981, my second year in this sport, long before I had heard of this magical trick called "jibing".

Since then I've similarly lifted another longboard ... the original 12-foot Equipe ... with knee jerks alone when allllmost planing to break the surface tension and set it down planing.

Try it. It's about as simple as it sounds.

justall wrote:
what is the largest liter board you have popped in flat water? How about fin size? I am usually running larger sails, boards, and fins because of generally lighter winds.
erikhakman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I could "pop" -- i.e., get the whole board and fin out of the water -- my 12+ foot, 240 liter longboard with about a 7 meter sail on mirror flat water simply by rolling the planing board to expose its underbelly to the wind while lifting with both feet. I thought nothing of it until I came ashore and looky-loos expressed awe at it. That was circa 1981, my second year in this sport, long before I had heard of this magical trick called "jibing".

Since then I've similarly lifted another longboard ... the original 12-foot Equipe ... with knee jerks alone when allllmost planing to break the surface tension and set it down planing.

Try it. It's about as simple as it sounds.

justall wrote:
what is the largest liter board you have popped in flat water? How about fin size? I am usually running larger sails, boards, and fins because of generally lighter winds.

240L?! Bet you felt that in your knees!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed less than 10 hours last year, but more because of generally horrible wind quality. It has been blowing under 18 or over 35 kts, with very little in between. I don't have gear for the former and no longer trust my body in the latter, especially considering that the gusts are pushing or topping 50. This year is shaping up no better. When even our best local sailors (not counting the pros) are sitting on shore in street clothes most of the day, I feel justified in joining them, as another injury could end my windsurfing. Just rigging a sail was exhausting last year and remains tiring this year, due to chemotherapy and now even more onerous cancer drugs.

Funny you should ask about watching from the beach. When I do that it's largely because what I've seen this and last year is a lot of good sailors rigging numerous sails, slogging across a nasty wind shadow, repeating that until they realize it's pointless. Many go home if they live nearby. 20+ good sailors in lawn chairs or packing up to leave and only one or two on the water when it's blowing holy stink is useful information. I no longer need to get hit over the head twice to recognize futility and -- in my case, risk -- when it's that obvious.

I got in one short but encouraging session at 33 kts gusting towards 50 last week, so there's still hope. Besides, I can't complain, as I retired 33 years ago to windsurf full time when work got in the way of windsurfing. I got my licks in, am cherry-picking my sessions, and am glad to see younger bucks like you carrying on the stoke.

As for "240L?! Bet you felt that in your knees!" ... Not that I noticed. I was a kid of about 38 then.

erikhakman wrote:
Gotcha! Are you still getting out on the water every now and then or do you stick to watching the action from the beach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: